PDA

View Full Version : ATPL DL vs In-house

RMarvin86
9th Jun 2008, 19:14
Hi there, I'm an italian student almost at the end of my PPL training in Italy with a small aero club which is not offering many training solutions so I'm actually considering to join a flight school in the UK for the ATPL course (theory only). At the moment I'm really oriented to Cranfield (CATS) as it seems to be the most economic and training appears to be of high quality. Now, my worries are about the decision between distance learning and the in-house training which takes approx. 5 months.
Having the possibility to consider both options which one is more reccomandable?
- Distance learning is less expensive, allows to work, gives more time for flying etc.. but I'm worried about the the quality.
- In-house full time training is more expensive but according to me at the end I would be a better pilot and my English will improve.

What do you suggest? Any idea or experience is high appreciated! thank.

Whirlygig
9th Jun 2008, 19:25
but I'm worried about the the quality.

Much of the quality is down to you (!) since you are studying on your own most of the time. However, the ground instructors are the same ones who do the full-time courses so the quality of their instruction when you go for the brush-up courses will be the same. The DL instructors should also be available to you via phone or email if you have problems.

according to me at the end I would be a better pilot
That's rubbish - you will not be a better pilot for having done full-time ground school.

and my English will improve.

Being with English speaking instructors and students will help and so far, I can see this as being your only valid argument for full-time.

However, if you find you're the sort of person who can't study on your own and will find the classroom a better medium, then you should go for full-time. It's ultimately your decision as to what would suit you best - there are no external or career factors to consider here.

Cheers

Whirls

RMarvin86
10th Jun 2008, 15:42
Thank you Whirls, I'll take it into consideration.

Any futher adivce from other users maybe who experienced CATS ?