PDA

View Full Version : Websites

RossMiles
15th Oct 2000, 00:46
Hi all,

I've just started a (local) web design business. My question to you all is:

Do you prefer simple easy to navigate sites that are quick to load.

OR

Excellent looking sites that take ages to load but look fantastic?

You can see I've attended that course on 'how not to ask a leading question'. Anyway input would be greatly appreciated. Also what do you suppose would be a fair amount to charge for an average website?

Ross
[email protected]

fryingeggs
15th Oct 2000, 16:14
g'day,
when i first started using the net i was amazed by all the bells and whistles put inot websites. now, well i much rather get in, get what i want and get out asap.
but thats me

fe

Hew Jampton
15th Oct 2000, 18:04
I much prefer quick, simple to load sites. What especially pisses me off is a site where the first page is just some logo etc, saying 'click here to enter' or suchlike. Why not have the first page as the first 'action' page?

WX Man
15th Oct 2000, 18:21
Fast to load. Until everyone in the UK's got an ADSL or optical cable connection (viz., when the regulators finally get around to looking after the consumers, rather than BT's profits) you can keep the fancy stuff.

At the moment, I'm fortunate because the connection I'm using is via JANET's T3 socket. Lightning.

spannersatcx
15th Oct 2000, 19:14
ditto the above, those that take ages to load I normally skip as time is money. The quicker and easier the better, after all it's the content rather than all the fancy flash animations etc is what I'm after.

RossMiles
15th Oct 2000, 20:05
Hi all,

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm if what I thought went for everyone else. Check out http://www.milesni.freeserve.co.uk/pod/ it's incredibly basic but it gets the job done, or at least it will when I've finished. This site is going to be the first of many. My second question then is do you prefer CGI mail-back forms or an e-mail address?

Ross
[email protected]

stickyb
16th Oct 2000, 00:57
I like the speed, but would prefer it to word at the same time. All the scripts i tried gave the dreaded file not found message.

WX Man
16th Oct 2000, 16:01
Nice and simple. Loaded quickly (well, it would with this connection), however there is basic and there is basic. Could maybe have done with a bit of colour and a few (just a few, mind!) piccies. Possibly a nice background of stars or something.

CGI forms are fine for mailback- but put a link to your email address there too.

RossMiles
16th Oct 2000, 22:06
Hi all,

The reason for the old file not found errors is that I've only just started the site and I haven't uploaded most of the site yet. Thanks about the pic suggestion. I might make some JAVA roll-over buttons.

Ross
[email protected]

WX Man
16th Oct 2000, 23:28
NO! NO! NO!

No Java! Steer Clear! No need! Stop... DON'T carry on.

Try and avoid Java wherever possible.

DreamCatcher
16th Oct 2000, 23:53
A picture paints a thousand words.... but keep it small. Remember the attention span of the average visitor (7 seconds), and the type of computer/modem setup they'll have.

Don't use sound - it's still considered naff, and be careful with Java. It has its uses, but can be gimmicky. And Java script, contrary to popular belief, CAN hide viruses.

If you want a look at a modest! effort, I can point you no further than:
http://www.aspect2000.co.uk

OR
http://www.aspect2000.co.uk/accident

Cheers ;-)

------------------
PistonBroke

mik
17th Oct 2000, 14:22
My own rules for web site design :

Does it load quickly enough? If it doesn't, it won't get looked at.

Is what appears necessary, attractive and useful?

Is it too cluttered? Remember the K.I.S.S. principle!

Test the site with every browser you can get your hands on. Click on every link. Refresh every page.

Is the site easy to navigate around?

BTW, if you MUST use Java (and I generally recommend against it), test your pages again both Netscape 4 and IE 4 & 5. Far too many sites support only one or the other.

Personally I prefer to keep the intelligence at the server end and use CGI scripts. From the URLs it's obvious that this is how PPRuNe mostly works. PPRuNe does have some simple Javascript, but unlike most sites, the Javascript here has obviously been tested and works!

RossMiles
17th Oct 2000, 16:10
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you all know when I've finsihed if you fancy a quick look. Obviously this one is INCREDIBLY simple as it is only really a glorified downloads page. Some of my other sites might be more advanced. One last thing. Does anyone know when I can get a CMX vector graphics viewer?

Cheers!!!!

Ross
[email protected]

Hew Jampton
22nd Oct 2000, 21:42
And another thing that pisses me off (number two in a series of millions): when I add a website to my Favorites, a lot of sites have a title that begins 'The' or 'Welcome to', so I end up with a load of sites all in the same alphabetical place in my Favorites , and I have to rename them.