PDA

View Full Version : Simple question: One wing landing

Juliusz
9th Jun 2008, 18:48
I just watch this:

http://uk.youtube.com/wat...feature=related (http://uk.youtube.com/wat...feature=related)

Is anybody, able to explain how is it possible (on vectors or any other way). I' ve some ideas, but i'm not quite sure about it.

thx

MightyGem
13th Jun 2008, 16:07
The links not working. I assume you mean the Israeli F15 that landed with one wing after a mid air?

The answer is lots of opposite aileron. :}

Tyres O'Flaherty
13th Jun 2008, 16:11
And the pilot having no clue whatsoever about the state of the ting :eek:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
13th Jun 2008, 16:16
It's because they'd previously installed the (optional) prayer on the other side.

Rigger1
13th Jun 2008, 16:18
Body lift, above 200+ knts the airframe generated enough lift to keep the thing flying.

wg13_dummy
13th Jun 2008, 17:12
Body lift, above 200+ knts the airframe generated enough lift to keep the thing flying.

Should have designed it without wings and the ability to land above 200kts. Less drag surely. :rolleyes:

Lydia Dustbin
13th Jun 2008, 17:45
Should have designed it without wings and the ability to land above 200kts. Less drag surely

That will be the F104 then!

walter kennedy
13th Jun 2008, 23:02
Like the Starfighter?:E

Mactlsm1
14th Jun 2008, 02:49
Walter Says "Like the Starfighter?:E"

Yeh Right. No wing AND no body effect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac

Synthetic
14th Jun 2008, 20:37
God bless fly by wire (if it was still working - judging by the limited HUD symbology it may not)

GreenKnight121
14th Jun 2008, 21:12
The F-15 is not a "fly-by-wire" aircraft*, but it does have flight computers assisting the pilot in operating the hydraulic-powered flight controls.

check out this site:
http://www.f15sim.com/operation/f15_flight_control_system.htm

Here is the intro:

"The philosophy of the Eagle design was primarily, "Let's get the performance, then we'll tame it." The "taming" has been an exercise in flight control wizardry which burned a lot of midnight oil, but has produced for your pleasure a fighter with explosive performance that handles like a dream. However, under all that finery dwells a rather caustic personality which is cloaked in the shroud of acronyms such as CSBPC (Control Stick Boost and Pitch Compensator), PRCA (Pitch and Roll Control Assembly), and PTC (Pitch Trim Compensator).

I'm going to assume that you've had some basic exposure to the F-15 flight control system and know that it uses conventional hydro-mechanical ailerons and differential stabilator for roll control, collective stabilator for pitch control, and a rudder on each vertical for yaw control. In addition, there is a dual-channel, high-authority, three-axis CAS (Control Augmentation System) superimposed on the hydro-mechanical system. The CAS is utilized to shape aircraft response to pilot inputs, as well as provide three-axis damping and autopilot functions. The CAS can also provide aircraft control in the event of a mechanical system failure.

With this in mind, I'd like to break the control system into two elements - the basic hydro-mechanical system and the electronic system (CAS) - then further subdivide each and perhaps give you some insight as to why things are as they are."

* "fly-by-wire" means the computer(s) is(are) between the pilot & the aircraft... the pilot tells the computer what he wants the plane to do (using his controls), and the computer makes the plane do something close to the pilot's intentions.

The F-15 has the computer(s) working beside the pilot... like a second set of hands on the controls, adjusting the pilot's direct-to-the-controls commands for best result.

advocatusDIABOLI
14th Jun 2008, 21:46
Green,

Wow..... Good Answer! :eek:

Advo

PS: Say again all after..... hello

Linedog
15th Jun 2008, 08:57
New link................

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e1aKxAN7bAs

Synthetic
15th Jun 2008, 21:35
Green - thanks for the correction. :ok:

I would have thought that any form of control augmentation system might help in this situation, depending on the engineering behind it.