PDA

View Full Version : A380 on 27L this morning.

config-2
9th Jun 2008, 15:00
Hi,
Does anyone know the reason why the SQ flight was unable to vacate the runway after landing this morning?

FullWings
9th Jun 2008, 15:09
Nosewheel steering failure, according to ATC. Towed to stand.

config-2
9th Jun 2008, 15:15
Well that was nice a quick. Thanks alot. I can sleep easy tonight now :)

XX621
9th Jun 2008, 15:21
Grab a stopwatch.

You have about 30seconds remaining before this post is moved to "spotters balcony" by the "you-sound-like-an anorak-for-asking-a-question-like-that" brigade.
:ugh:

Sallyann1234
9th Jun 2008, 15:55
Too late - the Daily *** has spotted it.

A major disaster was narrowly avoided at Heathrow yesterday when the steering of a new super-jumbo A390 (sic) failed as it was landing. An aviation expert said later that if the steering had failed earlier when the plane was coming in to land it would probably have crashed onto the local school.

Seconds later another crash was prevented when the pilot of a following aircraft heard just in time a desperate plea from air traffic control to over-fly the blocked runway.

Felix Saddler
9th Jun 2008, 16:12
Possibility of terrorism? inform Mr Bush..

PC767
9th Jun 2008, 16:14
Oh life in the airline industry is like living within a Hollywood blockbuster!

buscapt
9th Jun 2008, 16:30
Just the Tip of the Iceberge. Every flight an adventure. BTW 5000psi Green hydraulics system muscles teh steering with self contained dinky toy electric motor hydraulic steering as backup.

757_Driver
9th Jun 2008, 16:30
A major disaster was narrowly avoided at Heathrow yesterday when the steering of a new super-jumbo A390 (sic) failed as it was landing. An aviation expert said later that if the steering had failed earlier when the plane was coming in to land it would probably have crashed onto the local school.

Seconds later another crash was prevented when the pilot of a following aircraft heard just in time a desperate plea from air traffic control to over-fly the blocked runway.

Nice one - made me chortle

:E:ok::D:D

airfoilmod
9th Jun 2008, 16:34
The new, massive Super Jumbo A390 is now on my never fly list.

keel beam
9th Jun 2008, 16:50
"Possibility of terrorism? inform Mr Bush.."

Any excuse for him to ban them in American airspace?;)

DeeCee
9th Jun 2008, 17:02
What's an Iceberge?

Thylakoid
9th Jun 2008, 17:17
What's an Iceberge?

It is how the Italians and Spaniards pronounce "iceberg." :)

Thylakoid
9th Jun 2008, 17:19
Just the Tip of the Iceberge. Every flight an adventure. BTW 5000psi Green hydraulics system muscles teh steering with self contained dinky toy electric motor hydraulic steering as backup.

All this sounds like stuff coming out of an Airbus FCOM :)

banana9999
9th Jun 2008, 17:40
Nice one - made me chortle

:E:ok::D:D

Made me squirm. The constant "journo scum" comments on PPrune are a embarrassment to an industry that other acts very professional towards others.

Let's cut it out huh.

airfoilmod
9th Jun 2008, 18:19
Like very nearly no other industry, aviation is susceptible to a nuanced and volatile public opinion of the "status" of Aviation. Journalists have a job, to sell copy. What sells is bad news, alarming news, made-up news. The media's business model is in direct competition with the success of our industry. It also has at times a VERY flexible collective INTEGRITY. Making mountains out of ant turds, so to speak. If some stranger has a direct say in your hard fought battle for success, and seemed to care not a bit for said endeavor, would you be angry? Of course you would.

Airfoil

banana9999
9th Jun 2008, 18:44
Like very nearly no other industry, aviation is susceptible to a nuanced and volatile public opinion of the "status" of Aviation. Journalists have a job, to sell copy. What sells is bad news, alarming news, made-up news. The media's business model is in direct competition with the success of our industry. It also has at times a VERY flexible collective INTEGRITY. Making mountains out of ant turds, so to speak. If some stranger has a direct say in your hard fought battle for success, and seemed to care not a bit for said endeavor, would you be angry? Of course you would.

Airfoil

Airfoil

If you want to generalise a whole industry from a very small number of people then that is ignorance - rather like me saying that 747 pilots have as much regard for their own safety as Kamikaze pilots of WW2.

I just wish that some on here would adopt a more intelligent approach, and perhaps a more educational one, than engage (rather ironically IMHO) in the sensationalist games that they accuse "journo scum" of displaying.

acmi48
9th Jun 2008, 19:34
louis hamilton runs into an A380-did not see the red light

Papa Charlie
9th Jun 2008, 21:37
louis hamilton runs into an A380-did not see the red light
A coincidence! - Lewis Hamilton did exactly the same thing but it was a Ferrari! ;)

Overdrive
10th Jun 2008, 01:16
...in the sensationalist games that they accuse "journo scum" of displaying.

Not not accuse, see...