PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks and Flightsims

arm the floats
14th Oct 2000, 18:12
Does anyone know if the latest notebook computers (P3 750Mhz) could run MS Flightsim 2000 with acceptable framerates??
Has anyone any experience of running either FS98 or FS2000 on any Notebook and was it any good?
Thanks in advance.

spannersatcx
14th Oct 2000, 18:33
It's not just the CPU, you need a decent graphics card, plenty of memory and a quick hard disk.

Capt Wannabe
14th Oct 2000, 19:00
I'm running FS2000 on a DELL Inspiron with a PIII 650MHz, 128MB RAM, and 8MB Graphics, and it is giving quite satisfactory results :)

------------------
CW

Ailing Bob
14th Oct 2000, 23:45
I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 PIII 700mhz and 128Ram and it works perfectly well (in fact far better than it runs on my home PC which is PI 233mhz and 80 megs ram).
I had to buy a USB joystick though. A couple of tweaks in the right place to the settings make an unbelievable difference in performance.

arm the floats
16th Oct 2000, 00:17
Thanks guys

Sounds like its feasible ,I believe its possible to run a force feed back joystick also,has anyone any experience of this?
I'm also wondering if its worth my while getting a notebook from the states.Can you think of any drawbacks other than warranty?
eg. Will the DVD player run OK in Europe or are there specific European formats?

[This message has been edited by arm the floats (edited 15 October 2000).]

Plugs mkII
16th Oct 2000, 03:54
I'm running FS2000 on a Compaq Armada 100S,that has a 533 mhz processer,with 64MB RAM with a 5 gig hard drive and it has a graphics card with 4MB of SDRAM. It's a bit framie in areas with the graphics and the sounds. I've been trying to source a graphics card to help it along with the graphics,but there does not seem to be any on the market,in Australia anyway.For thoses who know more about computers than my self,would more RAM make FS2000 run any better,ie:128 MB of RAM instead of the 64 MB of RAM? Any info would be much appreciated.
With regard to the joystick,I've bought a Logitech Wingman Extreme it comes with a USB adaptor,and it works great. I'm also keen to find out how the joystcks with the force feed back feel and operate,ie: do they seem to be realistic,etc.
Cheers,
Plugga.

Wedge
16th Oct 2000, 05:22
Plugs - Upgrading your RAM will not make a significant difference to the frame rate. A new graphics card would be a good idea.

I am running FS2K on a P3 800Mhz/128Mb RAM/15GB HD/32Mb Graphics and it works superbly.

spannersatcx
16th Oct 2000, 07:43
plugs more ram would make a small difference in your set up, unfortunately your graphics card is just not powerful enough I'm afraid.
As wedge says you really need something with 32mb onboard the graphics card to cope.

WX Man
16th Oct 2000, 15:56
The processor is only 50% of it. You NEED a USB joystick- I have used a Logitech Wingman Force Feeback Pro USB (what a mouthful!). This has a serial plug and a USB plug on it.

However with this joystick, you need a game that supports force feedback- it's useless for games that don't have any FF mechanism.

I'd recommend getting the Sidewinder USB.