PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 record attempt

tubby linton
9th Jun 2008, 16:22
On download day, Mozilla is looking for everyone's help in setting a world record for most downloads in a 24 hour period. You can make a pledge to download on the big day. I made mine. Will you?

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

10th Jun 2008, 06:34
I have made my pledge. Interesting when you look at the map and check how many pledges were made in countries where a person wouldn't even expect the existence of internet.....
Go Firefox!

rossym
11th Jun 2008, 20:26
I've made my pledge too! :)

Out Of Trim
12th Jun 2008, 03:59
What??

Oh dear - I've been running Firefox 3 for a couple of weeks - Well It was Release Candidate 1 of Firefox 3 I think. Which is probably the same - oops! :}

Bushfiva
12th Jun 2008, 05:09
Pledging to download a web browser seems a bit naff. What color's the bracelet? Does it clash with the Persevering in Purity (TM) bracelet?

Keef
12th Jun 2008, 12:55
What an odd idea!

I have something calling itself Firefox 3, and have had for weeks.
I also have a most interesting package called Minefield, which updates every night. It's the "development" version, with a few nifty features - and more new ones at regular intervals.

14th Jun 2008, 06:34
Most of us have had Firefox3 in some or other Beta version or release candidate. Not the same as the final version now is it? And whats wrong with wanting to set a world record for the most downloads in a day for a browser? Good for them I say.

Mark your calendar, wrap a ribbon around your finger or write a little sticky yellow note. Download Day will start on June 17, 2008.

Feline
17th Jun 2008, 19:27
Download available from 17:00 UTC today - Thought that this might be a bit of a trial but they must have cobbled up one huge farm of servers to cope with the anticipated demand. Whole process of downloading (7Mb over a 3G EDGE connection) and installing over existing ver 2 took less than ten minutes. It seems to have picked up all my bookmarks and settings. :D:D:D
Can't help but think Microsoft could learn a lesson here - downloading some of their monthly updates can take forever ... But maybe that's one of the reasons I only use IE when I really have to :E:E:E

Background Noise
18th Jun 2008, 07:20
Is Firefox 3 an autoupdate - checking for updates on FF2 reveals no updates available.

aizacher
18th Jun 2008, 09:10
turkmenistan only has 3 downloads haha

Parapunter
18th Jun 2008, 10:11
I've added it & even Pprune loads fast:p

Feline
18th Jun 2008, 11:11
BG - Nope - not an autoupdate - you need to go to here to download ...http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox?p=downloadday

frostbite
18th Jun 2008, 11:38
Downloaded last night - took about five seconds.

Not installed it yet though.

rubik101
18th Jun 2008, 12:36
FF3 might be the bees knees but it disables several features from other browsers. My Real Player downloader, my dictionary, and my on-line picture editor have all been disabled so I have deleted it!
Be careful if you use FaceBook, My Space, etc. as the dialer access codes are disabled by Firefox.

The Flying Pram
18th Jun 2008, 13:20
Don't install!
FF3 might be the bees knees but it disables several features from other browsers. My Real Player downloader, my dictionary, and my on-line picture editor have all been disabled so I have deleted it!

That's a wee bit concerning! I don't like Real Player, but the downloader has been very handy as it will often find things that DownLoad Helper won't. I'm getting a bit wary of automatically updating to latest version of everything, far better to wait and see what others find out first.

frostbite
18th Jun 2008, 14:26
My sentiments exactly. I usually wait about seven days to see if there are any screams of anguish about a major update.

Having said that, I rarely use FF these days - Opera seems to suit me better, especially that 'New Tab' button on the taskbar - wonder why FF hasn't incorporated that?

smuff2000
18th Jun 2008, 15:34
Downloaded and installed last night, it disabled the new "search shield" in AVG8, hope they will do an upgrade soon to sort out theses issues cos otherwise it's excellent.

frostbite
19th Jun 2008, 12:25
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39436587,00.htm

but also see

Firefox 3 suffers its first flaw

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39436580,00.htm

ZH875
19th Jun 2008, 15:47
Downloaded and installed last night, it disabled the new "search shield" in AVG8, hope they will do an upgrade soon to sort out theses issues cos otherwise it's excellent.

I have just carried out a re-install (repair) on AVG 8 (using the latest 8.0.125 version) and I now have the AVG toolbar back in Firefox 3, and everything appears active.

amanoffewwords
19th Jun 2008, 19:24
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39436580,00.htm

Firefox 3 suffers its first flaw

You omitted to quote the relevant part of that article (and others around the Net):

"this vulnerability, which also affects Firefox 2"

so it's not quite the same as FF3's 1st flaw...

Most of the add-ons I had have a FF3 update so I'm happy - still pleased to have a reason not to upgrade (or indeed use) IE6.:)

frostbite
19th Jun 2008, 19:48
"You omitted to quote the relevant part of that article"

I didn't quote or claim to quote - I simply made a C&P of their headline and posted a link.

green granite
23rd Jun 2008, 07:49
A word of warning, if you had a beta version of FF3 but used FF2 as your main browser delete all components of the beta before installing FF3. I didn't and it took me ages to find out that it imports the profile from the beta and not FF2 so all my bookmarks were out of date and the means of restoring to a back up bookmark file is different than in FF2. (they don't have the same names or extensions.)

Apart from that it works fine for me .

The Voice
23rd Jun 2008, 23:15
I download FF3 on 'the' day - the only drama I've found is that Skype isn't compatible .. if that's a drama at all. AVG 8 didn't seem to falter .. overall I'm fairly happy with it.

24th Jun 2008, 09:18
overall I'm fairly happy with it.

Same here. Got it on THE DAY too and no problems whatsoever.

frostbite
24th Jun 2008, 19:49
Just installed FF3 and it seems to be quite fast.

But I'm still mainly with Opera because of the New Tab button which I find very useful and FF still doesn't have - that Ctrl-T means I have to let go of the mouse and that's just not as convenient.

Bushfiva
24th Jun 2008, 23:10
and FF still doesn't have

View, Toolbars, Customize

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2008, 10:29
Just installed FF3 and it seems to be quite fast.

But I'm still mainly with Opera because of the New Tab button which I find very useful and FF still doesn't have - that Ctrl-T means I have to let go of the mouse and that's just not as convenient.

To open a new tab, press Ctrl+T, select File > New Tab, Right Click in the Tab Bar and choose New Tab, or just double-click an empty space in the Tab Bar.

I do the last myself (FF2, still).

SD

frostbite
25th Jun 2008, 16:45
Thanks for the tips!

One icon added to toolbar. I had a sneaking feeling it would be there somewhere but couldn't find it.

green granite
6th Jul 2008, 08:49
Ok having used FF3 for a couple of weeks I think it needs to go back to beta testing stage and get the problems ironed out. It has a very serious problem when running java scripted things such as webcams (which i use a lot) It freezes and if you close it it disappears from the screen but doesn't stop running and has to be closed using the 3 fingered salute. It seems to be slower opening sites than V2, and the favourites system is nonsensical and inconsistent in it's opperation. All in all I think 7 out of 10 for effort and 5 out of 10 for useabillity :(

India Four Two
7th Jul 2008, 08:18
I reinstalled v2 (on a Mac) after v3 refused to display the vertical scrollbar on a site I use frequently.

I42

eticket
31st Jul 2008, 23:52
When I update the Jet Blast photos index I use the Page info - view links tab to find a reference to an actual post number in the pprune database rather than a number in the thread. I have just tried to find the view links tab in Firefox 3 and couldn't find it anywhere. It turns out that along with a forms tab it has been removed as it was considered too geeky! There is a solution now but it is an add-on that is considered Experimental and you have to register to download it. Guess what? The system won't accept my registration (using Firefox 3). Therefore no download.

Why fiddle with something that works? :*

I suppose it is back to Firefox 2.