PDA

View Full Version : Training advise

g_you001
9th Jun 2008, 15:38
Hi, I'm 25 y.o. and about half way through my PPL (Hereford Aero Club).
I've been reading threads for about a year now gathering information on lots of aspects of flight training e.g. Mod vs. Int, the various ways of completing hours building and methods of securing funding.

My plan of action based on the above and visiting Cabair/Oxford and the Flyer events at Heathrow Renaissance was as follows (including my own personal and financial circumstances) :-

1. PPL +IMC+ Night at HAC

2. Hours Building part USA and part UK (structured as much as I can based on the CPL licence/Skills test

3. Bristol Ground School (D/L while I work/build hours)

4. Aeros FTO (Staverton) for the CPL/IR as its geographically close to me to keep costs down, I've heard that they're alright as well. (I'd take a career break for a year to do this)

5. MMC and possibly a JOC through Aeros partners (they don't do these themselves)

At a guesstimate the whole lot inc. PPL will prob cost about £35K ish. I'm funding the PPL stuff, the ATPL ground exams and part of the hours building through my current wage. I'll probably take out an unsecured loan of £25K to pay for the commercial stuff and the other part of the hours building.

I'm aware this plan doesn't leave much of a margin for error perhaps a few grand on the loan but I think this approach will give me the best return considering value of training against cost.

I predict it'll take me 2 years to complete all of the above which would mean I'd be a low hrs pilot at 27y.o. (in avioation terms that means I'm nearly past my sell by date!, I think :-/)

I'm interested to hear from any likeminded individuals in a situation similar to myself as it can get quite daunting sometimes when these amounts of money are involved. Also anyone who may be able to offer constructive criticism of my idea or is able to point me in the direction of alternatives.

The other current biggy is, (although this has been covered) am I gonna spend all that money and have no job prospects at the end of it!

Thanks for reading

Guy