PDA

View Full Version : Question re Mushrooms


tony draper
9th Jun 2008, 11:41
Many moons ago, oh must be twenty year gorn,Bro got hold of summat called Mushroom pack,a sort of growbag wi mushrooms seeds growing medium ect already installed, this was placed in his cellar which was warm and dark due to central heating pipes and light switches if off position this provided us with so many mushrooms we were sick of the sight of them,every morning there was a new crop.
Anyway, reminded Bro of this and suggested we go into the mushroom growing business again but he states he has never seen these mushroom packs in garden centers ect since that time,anybody know if these are still available and from whence they can be had if they are?
Perchance the Mushroom growing industry bought up the rights for these home grown mushie factories and destroyed the formula.
:uhoh:

Avtrician
9th Jun 2008, 12:07
Those kits are readily available just down the road FSL, however they dont scan and email very well:ugh::ugh:

ORAC
9th Jun 2008, 12:09
Mushroom Grow Bags (http://www.magicplants.co.uk/mushrooms/mushroomgrowbags.html)

tony draper
9th Jun 2008, 20:27
Thanks chaps that link will not open Mr ORAC it just times out.
One shall investigate further.
One is quite fond of Mushrooms.
:)

selfloadingcargo
9th Jun 2008, 20:46
gardeningexpress.co.uk seems to have a wide variety of 'grow your own mushroom' kits from button to shiitake

tinpis
9th Jun 2008, 20:50
I would calculate the anticipated kit harvest against normal retail price of mushies in shops MrD
I found it to be not much different

Sallyann1234
9th Jun 2008, 21:00
That's the real reason you don't see many of the kits any more. Mushrooms are so cheap in the supermarket that it's just not worth the effort for a marginal cost saving.

tinpis
9th Jun 2008, 21:20
Thank you sallyann.

I have found straw with a liberal dosage of chook poo induces mushroom growth here in the jungle
I would however not eat them for fear of being transported to another world from which one may not return :uhoh:


http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/others17.jpg

DX Wombat
9th Jun 2008, 21:27
Here (http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/form/dlist/name/mushroom/?er=googleuk;term=mushroom+growing+kits&gclid=CO_EpYqn6JMCFQuZQwod6VyrzA) you are Mr D - you can have these posted to you. Or you could try these (http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/PlantCatalogue.asp?GroupID=7011).

Devlin Carnet
10th Jun 2008, 10:08
Strange thing... I dont seem to have the ability to digest mushrooms.
I eat them because I like them, But 1 day or so later, there they are, staring at me from the Toilet Pan.

gingernut
10th Jun 2008, 10:19
Mushroom curry yum yum:p

ArthurR
10th Jun 2008, 10:25
Nice one ORAC, link opened fine for me, but I'm sure these are not the type of mushroom T.D. was interested in. Not sure about the skunk seed though. :E

Overdrive
10th Jun 2008, 11:20
I eat them because I like them, But 1 day or so later, there they are, staring at me from the Toilet Pan.

...with the peanuts and the sweetcorn.

tony draper
10th Jun 2008, 11:23
When one has had a lick of the the Amazonian golden milk of paradise Frog Mushrooms and Skunk are small potatoes.
:rolleyes:

Davaar
10th Jun 2008, 11:39
Rarely, I confess, is my work with the electron more productive than that of Dr draper (post # 4). I do not have the skills, but this may be one of the exceptions. ORAC's link as given lasts long enough to give the real source: <magicmushrooms.co.uk>, to which I had recourse. Tell you what: I suspect the magicm product is not what Dr draper remembers as the glory of the mushroom. Mind you, sales may still be good, even so.

west lakes
10th Jun 2008, 11:44
<magicmushrooms.co.uk>


Which is probably why when I try to open it at work the site is blocked with a "drugs" warning and the information that I have been reported for trying to open that site!!

tony draper
10th Jun 2008, 12:53
Incident involving Magic Mushrooms in one's Park a few years ago,couple of teens found zonked and hauled off to the Infirmary due to devouring these mushroom they had found in said park, slow news day,so fearless local TV reported with camera team make it a big story on that evenings local news, fearless Journo striding around giving it large to camera about the perils on these fungi from the very scene of the crime, making sure camera pans around the area of one's park where this fungii is to be found.
Park Keeper told me next day that there must have been a thousand youngsters wandering around that part of the park heads down in search mode that night the constabulary had to be summoned and the seekers of altered consciousness evicted.
Responsible reporting.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
10th Jun 2008, 13:03
That sounds like typical journos.
They seem to flock to wherever folk should really stay away, regardless of whether it's the scene of a tragic death or dangerous location - just to show that they can do it. Whether it's standing in front of a tornado machine or even a real tornado or a beach where a shipwreck or dead dolphins have landed they just seem to encourage rubber-necking and mass sighseeing . . .

arcniz
10th Jun 2008, 17:05
About twenty year ago a well-intentioned family member gave me one of those mushroom-growing kits for a birthday - Portobello, I think they were. Came in a box with some instructions and paper and plastic bags, the largest containing some peaty-material that had a few visible 'fruiting bodies' already at work.

Since it was the busiest part of late Winter, I momentarily looked at the contents, then closed the box back up, thinking the little fungles could wait better than some of the other projects underway at that moment. One such project was transplanting some 2500 grape vines I was propagating from cuttings for planting in mid-Spring, a can't miss schedule item - due to rapidly onsetting heat - not so far away.

Roll time forward a year and half. The grapes were in their vineyard, having been planted and nursed through the hot summer , then overwintered and coddled until they started in strong on another Spring. Things began to go wrong, however. The new plants became more and more sickly during the season, rather than going on like rockets as young ones normally do.
Samples from the grape tissues eventually revealed a pervasive fungus infection that was clogging the circulatory system of affected plants. Eventually it seemed the entire planting was affected, so there was little choice but to pull them, fumigate the soil, and plan to start again at the site after a couple years pause.

From what one could tell by examination with microscope, stains, etc. the fungus in the wood of the afflicted grapes was very similar to that in the briefly-opened mushroom culture kit. Evidently the minute or so of inspection time described above had contaminated surrounding air and surfaces enough that the spores were eventually transferred to many of the grape starts at a very susceptible stage, and the rest of the expensive debacle was fairly well inevitable after that.

So, the moral of this tale might be: think twice about where and how you handle materials from Pandora's Shroom Kit and its ilk. Once released, unwelcome spores can be a bit like them from the Mummy's Curse.

G-CPTN
10th Jun 2008, 18:54
So true, arcniz.
Son had his garden 'landscaped' complete with bark chippings to suppress the weeds.
Now he's getting harvests of fungi across the garden, and with a year-old toddler loose that causes concern . . .

arcniz
10th Jun 2008, 19:23
Fungi, both micro and macro, are generally quite intolerant of sulfur. Plain old yellow 'elemental' sulfur will control fungi on the ground and on plants that tolerate it, but raw sulfur hastens iron rust and weakens cement when in quantity and in contact. Copper sulfate "bluestone" solution in water can be used as a moderately safe spray for non-edibles. A more ph balanced variant called "Bordeaux mixture" can be used on many veggies and fruit, I am told. Sprayed potassium carbonate is an antifungal possibly less likely to impart taste to fruit. My favorite for spraying grapes to proect against & control powdery mildew leaf fungus is a French product called "Thiolux", which includes a bit of iodide in combination with sulfur.



.