PDA

View Full Version : Over-rotated Nimrod

effortless
9th Jun 2008, 08:21
Ok I know we were a bit too well lunched but I was with a couple of chaps yesterday disussing "c*ck ups we have seen/done". Does anyone remember an incident when someone over-rotated an R1 in front of Princess Margaret? My mate swears that he damaged the tail boom and ended up with the nickname Boom Boom. I think that do remember the Pilot, retired as Winco I think but my mate swears that I saw it. He says St Mawgen. I sort of recall but it must have been in the seventies if I was there. Sorry to be so vague but when you get a bit senile like me you stay awake all night trying to remember these things.

Yellow Sun
9th Jun 2008, 09:30
It was in fact quite difficult to get a tailstrike on takeoff, provided that rotation was accomplished at the correct speed. I cannot recall any incidents of this type in the takeoff phase.

There were however a few tailstrikes on landing. An OCU aircraft had the fuel jettison pipes on the rear of the flaps bent upwards at 90 degrees, unfortunately they also had the camera doors open and chamfered these as well. But, the fact that the doors were only "ground down" with no structural damage, in spite of the excessive body angle, shows that a tailstrike on a normal landing was quite difficult to engineer.

An MR2P at Kinloss did have the ventral fin contact the runway when carrying out a flapless landing. Again the damage was minimal, about 1" was chamfered off. Subsequent investigation revealed that there was in fact a possibility that this would occur on a flapless landing even when the correct techniques were employed.

There were a few (1 or 2?) landing incidents associated with practising the short landing technique for operating into Port Stanley on the AM2 matting and another when practising the use of the emergency runway (northern taxiway) at Kinloss, However IIRC none of these involved structural strikes.

The R1 did have the odd incident including the loss of a large blade aerial on a RHAG. This was another case where the "book" was amended after the event.

YS

Rossian
9th Jun 2008, 10:00
.... did what it said in the book. Stude on first sortie, QFI newly checked out for this his first course. "OK bloggs, pull back smoothly and firmly ... (Voice rises by at least 5 octaves) NOT THAT FAR!!!!!!!!!" Solid clunk from down the back as the ventral strake crumpled allowing the bumper to take the rest of the impact, which it did satisfactorily. Oh the joys of L1!
The Ancient Mariner

Green Flash
9th Jun 2008, 10:34
Isn't the ventral strake made out of plywood?:confused:

Yellow Sun
9th Jun 2008, 10:44
Isn't the ventral strake made out of plywood?

Yes, it is, but there is a tail bumper as well.

Rossian,

L1 & 2 could have their moments, but one was normally anticipating just about anything at this stage. I usually found that the problem came later on when a normally reliable student did something completely out of the ordinary, like not remembering to flare for landing. It was a tough old beast, it had to be!

YS

zedder
9th Jun 2008, 12:12
It was a tough old beast, it had to be!

Still is and still needs to be; even though 'Thumper' has just retired!

Rossian
9th Jun 2008, 12:37
Like the one when one of the stude siggies had an epeleptic fit, and on the next trip the screen eng was very badly scalded by a drawer full of full coffee cups. As we stretchered off the eng. OC Ops said he would think seriously about letting us airborne with studes ever again. The eng also (much later) had a walkabout Oxygen bottle blow up in hes face as he was doing the checks.
The Ancient Mariner
PS I believe that Thumper is now with Etihad.

effortless
9th Jun 2008, 12:42
The "witness" swears Margaret was there and that I was too. To be honest, I was shunted all over the shop when I was leaving Betty's flying club so it is all a bit of a blur. The words "showing off" were used.

Yellow Sun
9th Jun 2008, 12:59
the screen eng was very badly scalded by a drawer full of full coffee cups. As we stretchered off the eng. OC Ops said he would think seriously about letting us airborne with studes ever again. The eng also (much later) had a walkabout Oxygen bottle blow up in hes face as he was doing the checks.

Is that the one who had a name like a Shakespeare play and subsequently went to BA?

YS

PingDit
9th Jun 2008, 15:56
Ah.... memories of L1. I remember going through as a re-tread when the port undercarriage refused to play for the landing on our L1. Fun or what?
I remember us just missing the PAR as we can off the runway at EGDG.

Secretsooty
9th Jun 2008, 16:34
"Still is and still needs to be; even though 'Thumper' has just retired!"

Lol, and he swears blind to me that name wasn't achieved in any way shape or form due to his flying abilities.......:ok:

I remember getting off a jet after being ferried down to BZN that he was P1 on and saying to him "Now I know how you got your name", only to have to duck rapidly... lol. No doubt I'll get it in the neck if he reads this....

ACW599
9th Jun 2008, 17:52
>"Still is and still needs to be; even though 'Thumper' has just retired!" Lol, and he swears blind to me that name wasn't achieved in any way shape or form due to his flying abilities.......<

If this is a reference to Derek 'Thumper' Thompson, I was on UWAS with him in the early 1970s. The acquisition of this nickname was a direct result of his pugilistic prowess rather than his flying abilities :ouch:

Secretsooty
9th Jun 2008, 19:18
That's what he told me some time ago...... Others still claim the name fits for other reasons, lol.

Thoroughly decent bloke though, never looked down his nose at us groundies, and he and his wife throw a blooming good party!!!! :ok:

oxenos
11th Jun 2008, 19:27
As I recall, in the early 70's, when the Nimrod was young, someone over rotated on take off at Gib and chamfered the mad boom. A well known QFI was tasked to see how it could have happened, and managed to do it all over again. We were told to take it a little more gently after that.

On a separate issue, but still on Nimrods, there was a discussion some time ago about flight times before the days of in flight refueling. My log book shows one of 11:10, and another of 10;50.

Shadwell the old
12th Jun 2008, 03:54
I think his name should be "Thumer", cos there is no p in Thomson

reynoldsno1
12th Jun 2008, 04:27
There always seemed to be an argument that it was not possible to do a V2 climb without over-rotating and wiping out the MAD boom.
Did an airshow at Luqa in the mid-70's - took off on the short runway with minimal fuel at full chat - rotate was in two stages, first to get the MAD boom clear and then very hard to stay at V2 plus a couple knots ISTR - looked as impressive as it felt down the back, apparently. Nav lost his hamburger, and couldn't find it again ....:ooh:

BEagle
12th Jun 2008, 04:39
Would that be the archetypal 'gap' Thumper?

He of the 'magic trousers' and 'pinching the boss's 1800'?

Tales from a UWAS magazine revealed to me some 35 years ago by Dave 'Milo' Wildpig - the Lad in Chief.

Exrigger
12th Jun 2008, 06:58
reynoldsno1, this sounds like the one I saw, from memory this was done on the main runway and for take off it turned to line up so close to the edge of the runway it nearly went off the edge, it was in the air by the turn off to the short runway and climbed at an impressive angle and rate. When it landed, it touched down right on the edge of the runway and he slowed down enough to turn off onto the short runway and taxi straight into the pan area. This was the practice display, I think the pilot was told not to try it again.

maxburner
12th Jun 2008, 07:17
Thumper with Etihad? Can this possibly be true? There's another ailine I have to cross off the list.

If Thumper reads this, good luck to you. We did an Aerosystems course together.....honestly.......

Warmtoast
12th Jun 2008, 16:32
Does anyone remember an incident when someone over-rotated an R1 in front of Princess Margaret?

Princess Margaret visited St Mawgan on 21 July 1972 as this extract from the Court Circular shows, so perhaps it was on this visit?

July 21: The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon and the Earl of Snowdon today visited the Royal Air Force Station at St Mawgan, Cornwall.
Her Royal Highness, who travelled in an aircraft of The Queen's Flight, was attended by Mrs Jocelyn Stevens and Lieutenant-Colonel F. J. Burnaby-Atkins.

andgo
12th Jun 2008, 16:49
Thumper. Not Etihad, Capt with Jet 2. Nice bloke, good luck to him.:ok:

effortless
13th Jun 2008, 08:05
Princess Margaret visited St Mawgan on 21 July 1972 as this extract from the Court Circular shows, so perhaps it was on this visit?

Thank you, that would tie in with my anabasis. I think that the Pilot's name was Burton.

oxenos
13th Jun 2008, 10:23
Seem unlikely-1st Nimrod R was delivered to Wyton in JUL 71 and spent over 2 years being fitted out. Next flew OCT 73. Perhaps it just looked like an R after the mad boom was left on the runway. ?

effortless
13th Jun 2008, 10:49
Could have been anything really as I don't remember even being there.:(

Still it seems that the story may not be just beer talk. Thanks to all the responses.

spheroid
13th Jun 2008, 17:12
Now that is a proper Officers name......

Lt Col Burnaby-Atkins.....

You don't get that nowadays.... nowadays we have to put up with Smith, Jones and the like....

Wonder what happened to Burnaby-Atkins ?

Warmtoast
13th Jun 2008, 17:37
I rather like the sound of Major General Sir Brian Wyldbore-Smith, former Treasurer of the Conservative Party who was appraoched by Henry Root for an honour as recounted in The Henry Root Letters (1980).

To the Treasurer of the Conservative Party:
Dear Major-General Wyldbore-Smith: I'm a blunt man accustomed to plain speaking. What's the going rate for getting an honour? I don't mean an OBE or a CBE. Those are reserved for crooners or those who are quick over the high hurdles. What would do the trick? £25,000? £50,000? I enclose a pound. This is for yourself personally, you understand.

HR was at it again with Wyldbore-Smith in 1987 as this letter shows:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/HenryRoot_800x406.jpg

retrosgone
13th Jun 2008, 19:12
Thumper is starting with Jet2 in Edinburgh, which is quite a long way from Dubai in a straight line. Perhaps he got lost along the way - - -

Secretsooty
13th Jun 2008, 19:25
He's started! And loving the ammount of gold braid on his new uniform from what I hear.... :ok: