View Full Version : Does your licence get recognised overseas?

9th Jun 2008, 07:32
What happens to your licence when you get a job flying internationally?

For example, if say I have a FAA licence would I need to get a JAA Licence as well to fly to the UK?

9th Jun 2008, 10:47
Yes you do have to convert your licence to work overseas. Depends on your experience level exactly what is required, but if you hold a FAA/CPL/ME/IR then to convert to JAA you need to do all 14 JAA theory exams, training as required and the JAA CPL skills test to convert the CPL. Then a minimum of 15 hours training and a test to convert the ME/IR. Note the JAA IR skills test had to be conducted in a JAA member state.

If you have 1500 hours with 500 hours on a multi crew type (ie: an FAA ATP, or NZ ATP) then all thoery 14 exams and a LST with a JAA examiner on the type that is on your licence to get a JAA ATPL.

The above is the conversion of FAA to JAA.

It will vary depending on which country you need wish to fly in.
There are some nations where any ICAO licence is accepted and normally you may only need to sit the local air law exam and maybe a flight test to validate your licence (in particular some African countries).

9th Jun 2008, 21:34
Even if you have a JAA licence issued by one country. You may have to convert it to the country that airline is registered in. Ryanair being one example. Luckily that simply involves filling in paperwork and handing over currency. The IAA makes a fortune from non Irish Ryanair pilots converting to an Irish JAA licence.

9th Jun 2008, 22:51
What is the situation if I were to acquire a JAA but wished to work/live in the US or Canada? Is it a lengthy process like described above?

Jet Fuel Addict
9th Jun 2008, 22:58
I can't really imagine the transfer from JAA to FAA to be so complicated as doing it the other way round.

10th Jun 2008, 10:15
JAA - TC (Transport Canada), I don't know,

JAA-FAA- There is a written exam and oral test to do per rating or licence converted. For each rating/licence it is then just training as required and check ride. The oral test is normally taken the same day as the check ride.

The written exams are straight forward due to the freedom of information act (question back readily available), however for the oral test you will be sat in a room with an examiner so you will really need to know the subjects (no question spotting or learning question banks).

Note there are two check rides for the commercial, one for the single engine and one for the multi engine commercial.

So yes it is quicker in that there are less theory exams to sit.

ElSupremo do you have US or Canadian citizenship, because there are work permit issues for expats (of course marrying a local American or Canadian girl/guy is one way to get round this). It is possible to get a J1 visa to work in the US for a limited period, this will more than likely only be available for instructor positions.

22nd Jun 2008, 16:22
If I have taken and passed all 14 exams and have 1500 hours of multi crew time, I believe I have to sit a skills test in order to convert from an FAA to JAA ATP. Does anyone know where one can take a skills test for a lear45/40 or citation 550? or which would be the best course of action to complete the skills tets.


22nd Jun 2008, 16:59
saying your flying from the US to the UK and you have an FAA licence, you can do so on your FAA licence prividing you fly a US aircraft (therefore N reg). if say you were doing the same trip but in a british aircraft you will need a UK licence.

if you have done your training in the UK and have a UK CAA licence but get a job in Ireland you will need to convert your licence wich generaly means paper work and handing a wad of cash over. however every country has different licence cirteria so some may require some more training. i know converting from a UK licence to an FAA one all it is is some paperwork but the other way around you will need to redo your CPL and IR.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1