PDA

View Full Version : BDV Races

Capt Wally
9th Jun 2008, 04:52
Would like to know what's the lattest happening out there at BDV for the races meeting these days. I haven't been there for well over 10 yrs. Same Fred B's boxing tent? Foot deep cans in the gutter hiding the drunks under them? Overflowing dunny's & those big log fires at the end of the parking rows. Same nags running in each race ?:)
Hate to think how much feul is now. Used to fight over a couple of hand pumps to fill from 44G drums, surely that's still not the case?
Wouldn't mind going again but hiring a lighty sounds like an arduous event.

Comments from those that went last yr or recently?:)

CW

morno
9th Jun 2008, 05:13
Capt Wally why don't you hire a single and go for a look see? :}

sms777
9th Jun 2008, 05:15
Last time i flew out there in 2002 and few things have changed since your 10 years Wally. They have built a motel behind the pub with about 8 rooms but you have to book 2 years in advance. F.B's tent was still there, they have an avgas bowser and the price of it was already $1.80 a litre.
Still gets windy and dusty with the number of blowies depends on the temperature.
Still mountains of beercans in the morning sun with people sleeping under them.

God...i miss the place! :ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
9th Jun 2008, 05:16
Went there four years ago, met my wife there, killed lots of brains cell had an awesome time.

Would love to do it all again ( except the wife bit, could not afford two :) ).

Brophys were there, apparently there were 4 or 5 horse races, some loose women (you'll need to start drinking early:}), heaps of bands and half a dozen tossers walking around in uniform ( wings, stripes and name badges ).

Would recommend it as a fly-in ( I was on a Charter from YBMA, not in uniform ).

climingflightlevels
9th Jun 2008, 05:54
I haven't been there when the races are on but motel is nice, pub is good and fuel was @$2.25/l around April.

Walrus 7
9th Jun 2008, 06:41
Birdsville Races has declined as a fly-in over the last few years. Instead of the 250-odd planes they used to get, you can expect only about 80-90 nowadays. That does means that the Sunday traffic jam at the holding point is not what it once was, but there's still a bit of waiting. Fires are not allowed in the carpark anymore. Still, nighttime in the pub is still what it always was and drunks are still lining up to get the bejezzus beaten out of them in Brophy's tent.

The question in my mind is what about CASA's breath-testing regime? Usually you'd have a couple as you set up your tent or swag beside the plane. If CASA want to be bastards (and when was the last time they didn't?) they could pull one hell of a lot of licences. Even staggering back from the pub to your tent at 1.30 am could get you into a lot of grief.

Walrus

Capt Wally
9th Jun 2008, 06:46
wowowo $2.25 cpl?, nope still not gunna fly in the place in a homebuilt, ohhh would rather pay dollars for spam in a can!:}
A friend of mine said that the tarmac area was fenced off to the pub there? is it so? Security way out there? what are the wild women/camels a risk?:E
'morno' I have dome BDV races about 8 times back when I was building hrs & had mates, their all gone 'cause I fleeced them too many times to come along & kill brain cells that would have cost about a $1 per cell !:)
'LRT' you saying you met yr wife there, that brought back some ugly memories for me that statment did mate, I too did just that but have since woken up & sold her!:bored:
I met Dick Smith there one year, he flew up in the B206 he had VH-DIK I think it was. He was very recognizable by standing out at the track in a khaki coloured Safari suit, yep made the ****** bar guys look like kindergarten followers!:E

It used to be a temp control zone once, I guess it's a ctafr now without having to look it up?

CW

Aerostar600A
9th Jun 2008, 07:12
I will be arranging an aerostar charter there this year ex bankstown. Me plus 4 pax. $1750 per pax if anyone is interested.

BrokenConrod
9th Jun 2008, 07:26
I will be arranging an aerostar charter there this year ex bankstown. Me plus 4 pax. $1750 per pax if anyone is interested

Hmmmmm - $1750! I assume that includes "all you can drink"?

BC :}

morno
9th Jun 2008, 08:08
Sheeeeeeeezzz. $1750!!

Do you get a 5 star hotel at the other end??

Howard Hughes
9th Jun 2008, 08:27
$1750 I could get you there in a Kingair for less than that!:eek:

PS: I could drink a lot of scotch for $1750!

What? No Scotch! :rolleyes:

I'm not going then!;)

Jabawocky
9th Jun 2008, 09:24
Hey Wal,

Pick up HH on ya way and share the cost of the Kero burner! The Ambo boys would probably need one deployed up there anyway by the sound of it!

$1750.....:eek: is that a commercial op or cost sharing....... ahh yes a deatstar, its a loss making cost share!:}

J

Desert Flower
9th Jun 2008, 11:04
Security way out there? what are the wild women/camels a risk?

No, it's because they have RPT.

DF.

Aerostar600A
9th Jun 2008, 12:12
Howard,

You better take the king air then and spend the change on scotch.:)

Capt Wally
9th Jun 2008, 12:28
Now that's some series bread for a seat on an Aerostar. What would it be about 10 hr return ex syd? say @150 kts. (planning)
1750X5 paying pax (inc pilot) = $8750 Div by 10 hrs = 875 an hr, sheeeez I sure am out of touch with prices.

B200 @ 2500 p/hr..... En -BDV, same dist as Syd BDV roughly
7 hrs return based on 220 kts, 10 pax(inc pilot) = $1750 @
All of the above is just on paper of course but interesting comparison.

Years ago we used to do ML-BDV for about $275 @ in C210 X 10 hrs, oh how I miss the good 'ole days!:bored:
Hmmmm ok HH lets steal a Beech & make a killing buddy:ok:

'walrus7' good point, never thought of that booze check by CASA or their sneaky reps, tea anybody?:bored:
I guess the place has changed for it's just too expensive to get platered for the W/E at the above prices.
No fires ???, now that's very sad
I wasn't aware that RPT went in there, whom I ask?

CW

sms777
9th Jun 2008, 13:03
How about i drive you up there in my 454 powered Chevy El Camino ute for about $500 return!
It may take us a week but if we take Jabba along i can assure you will have a ride you will never forget! :D:D:D

BrokenConrod
9th Jun 2008, 13:36
Wally

M**(rhymes with "slack")air goes into Birdsville.

BC:}

Deaf
9th Jun 2008, 20:42
Last year it was not a security controlled airport for the races ie the only time anyone is there.

Jabawocky
9th Jun 2008, 21:56
whats that supposed to mean sms777:confused:

Capt Wally
9th Jun 2008, 22:28
geeez 'jaba' I didn't know you where so popular in & around the outback, been moonlighting hey mate?:E Would you take a 'jaba' that far away from a mechanic?:E

'OS' yr dead right there buddy, only who really cared when oh so p***ed:) Loved the bit about the warmet toilet seat, & not always made that way by blokes either! Would have loved a dollar for every female I found in the mens dunnies, the sheilers ones where over crowded as well, for other 'reasons':)

'sms777' ok so 454 cubes will cost $500 bucks hey? at todays fuel prices outback that would be EACH right?:ok:

Okay 'BC' I wasn't aware that Mac went into BDV, I could ask, what for?:bored:

Well so far am not too sure I want to return, no fires, few planes there anyway & no doubt too costly for everything, oh well every pilot must do it at least once. Several times for me meaning that I wasn't too bright after the first couple! Still wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Thanks Guys

CW:ok:

sms777
9th Jun 2008, 22:49
Jaba,
Do not be so alarmed! I am talking about having a good time.
I reckon the three of us would have a hell of a time on the way swapping stories and sharing tinnies:)

Wally,
Looking at fuel prices by september i guess it would have to be:(

tinpis
10th Jun 2008, 00:18
Wally,
Looking at fuel prices by september i guess it would have to be

Do your bit for the planet gaia and the carbon footprint
Avoid disappointment....stay home.

Meanwhile they is burning up pointy jets at a about $1000 a minute around Darwhine
Noisy sods :*

Capt Wally
10th Jun 2008, 02:26
'tin' go & have a look at the B1 crash, burning is the word that's for sure !:bored:

CW

Jabawocky
10th Jun 2008, 12:20
sms777 :ok: now wories, sounds like fun!

If Wally or howie can stuff all the seats back into a big beachie I could muster up a few mates and it would be a blast!!

List goes like this;
sms777
Capt Wally
Howie Hughes
Jaba
FTDK
Chimbu Chuck
Squawk6969
Broken Conrod
Beach King
Mr Fokker (polite name)
185Skywagon
Rat**** (not been around lately)

So what do ya reckon.......... might need 2 x King Airs, then XXX and a few others could go from Melbourne with Wally!

J:E

PS Wally I am the mechanic as well! And it runs just fine!:)

sms777
10th Jun 2008, 12:43
Now you talking, Jaba!! :)

We may have to ditch the Kingair in favour of a 1900D, we can let Capt Wally sit on the left and between all of us we should be able to figure out to push a few extra buttons to help him out on the way

:ok:

Jabawocky
11th Jun 2008, 00:15
at 1700 odd metres......... maybe Chuck can get a 767 in and out!:ok:

J

Capt Wally
11th Jun 2008, 01:49
If you guys don't mind sitting on wooden fruit boxes then I reckon HH & myself can stuff the bloody lot of yus in a couple of Beech's, but we wanna see the green first hey HH?:) You can imagine how much green the ultralight guys would bring, being weight restricted & all!:) And their cheap.......................to run:)
Anyway sounds like BDV would be fun with half of PPRUNE's finest there drinking themselves into oblivion! Might even score a ride in a 'jaba' if I drink enough, then again seeing as the CASA goon squad could be there spoiling all tne fun best we just talk about the chances of survival in a jaba !:E
So anyone know if accommodation would be available there on short notice?

CW

Howard Hughes
11th Jun 2008, 01:51
You can imagine how much green the ultralight guys would bring, being weight restricted & all!Wouldn't the plastic fantastics melt in the sun...:E

Bendo
11th Jun 2008, 01:55
G'day Wally

You will find that there is plenty of accommodation available... you can put your swag anywhere you like, just about! :ok:

Jabawocky
11th Jun 2008, 08:15
Wally HH and co

The Jaba might be sold by BDV time:{

Moving up to a high speed velocipede SPAM CAN, c/w thirsty IO540;)

Yes Wally, another SE IFR for you to worry about:}

J:ok:

Howard Hughes
11th Jun 2008, 08:20
Will that mean another change of username?;)

Capt Wally
11th Jun 2008, 09:44
geeez 'jaba' you deserting yr fellow toy plane lovers? What's the go here? Yr not helping with the world oil prices by way of using extra mate:)
Don't tell me the Dr:8 has worn you down? Jumping ship who'd had thought!:{
Ok what airframe are you riding that Lyc with jaba?
SE IFR hey jaba?..........nice knowin' ya!;)

'Bendo' I've dome the swag bit at the races a few times, at my old age need a 2 star bed for a change !:)

So anyone here actually going to the races this year?
Other than you 'Aerostar', would be nice in yr steed but I don;t own a bank!:ok:

CW

Jabawocky
11th Jun 2008, 10:15
Ahhh HH, I might have one already;) not sure when it will be released into the wild!

Wally, the Dr did not talk me into it, but I think he is rather keen to have a crack at it! he is a bit shattered that it might roll the Bo point to point:E

J:ok:

sms777
11th Jun 2008, 12:50
Holly...Molly Jaba!

Good to see you moving up in the world. How about putting one of those IO540's on each wing eh?
I know a really nice Queenair sitting at....;)

Capt Wally
12th Jun 2008, 01:13
Hi D. (jaba) sorry I couldn't get back to you last night, some people just want to have their babies out of office hrs!:bored: How rude of them:E

CW:)

Howard Hughes
12th Jun 2008, 01:37
You weren't prooning at work?:eek:

Jabawocky
12th Jun 2008, 11:13
He must have been .... and then phoning me too!

And then one of his mates cooked a PT6 or something and he had to run off!

Capt Wally to the rescue:}

J

Howard Hughes
12th Jun 2008, 11:16
Cooked a PT-6, that's gotta hurt...:ooh:

Capt Wally
12th Jun 2008, 12:54
'HH'..........shhhhhhhhh:).........nah no cooked engine, the gas got turned off in time, low batt volts possible from someone showing a whole bunch of scouts thru the plane a couple of hrs earlier. Didn't think scouts still existed these days what with computer games etc am surprised they got 'em off their backsides!:bored:
CW PPRUNING at work??.......who would do such a thing:E Ever see the time I often post? I ain't that hard up for entertainment that I sit up all night adding to the dribble (me inc) in here.:)
Crazy wx last night, blowin' a gale sth of the ranges (50 kts up higher) & fog nth of the ranges, all within half hrs flying! Global warming? nah drunken Met boys:E

CW