PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson on Concorde

wcall
3rd Jul 2001, 01:56
I usually keep my thoughts to myself when it comes to journalism, but I saw "Speed" on BBC1 last night and just had to comment on a wonderful piece of television.
The piece I refer to was with reference to the sound barrier, and of course Concorde was at the forefront. Not only did Mr. Clarkson pay tribute to the Designers, but also to all those who maintain and fly this wonderful example of British engineering. He took time to point out that Concorde was and still is way ahead of its time and is unique.
Hopefully we will soon see this aircraft in the air once more, and I personally can not wait to see it. Thank you, Mr. Clarkson for a wonderful programme.

Red Spitfire Driver
3rd Jul 2001, 02:04
Yes I agree.
I paticularly liked the historic section about Miles Aircraft and Supersonic Flight. There is a wind tunnel model of the M52 on display at the Museum at Woodley.
One in the eye for the Yanks & Chuck Yaeger..

exeng
3rd Jul 2001, 04:55
I agree, well done Jeremy it was good viewing.

Regards
Exeng

Agaricus bisporus
3rd Jul 2001, 06:37
All very well RSD, and I understand your feelings. Miles' design had far more inovative ideas and perhaps more potential (and far more pedigree as the ultimate of a series of worldbeating ideas ditched by our worthless politicians)
than the Bell X1, but the shame is that it just didn't happen, and the X1 and bigmouth Yeager (bless him) did.

Uncle Sam 1, UK nil. Own goal again. Sorreeee!

fire wall
3rd Jul 2001, 07:07
Triumph of British engineering ?
Obviously it is just a malacious rumour that the French were part of the program.

Still ahead of it's time?
Perhaps.If the price of fuel was to go back to the region of 30p/litre then maybe we would all be flying such state of the art machinery.

BOEINGBOY1
3rd Jul 2001, 10:16
jet a1 is only about 30pence per litre !

------------------
IT'S BETTER TO BE ON THE GROUND, WISHING YOU WERE IN THE AIR - THAN IT IS TO BE IN THE AIR, WISHING YOU WERE ON THE GROUND !

twistedenginestarter
3rd Jul 2001, 11:22
Was Concorde a success? You know really it wasn't.

They couldn't crack the noise and consumption problems. True nobody else could, but that doesn't change the fact they built something that wasn't ready to be built.

Sadly what it did do is show that we Europeans could produce state-of-the-art commercial aeroplanes. Something not lost on the French.

And of course they still let us build the wings. ;)

Check 'Six'
3rd Jul 2001, 13:03
THE WINGS!!!!!????:EEK:

The last great wing the Brits designed was that on the Spitfire. :)

Uplinker
3rd Jul 2001, 13:42
.....Getting back to the point of this thread, (and I don't know what twistedenginestarter is on about ?), I agree Clarkson is on top form at the moment.

His increasingly pointless columns in the paper; where he just slagged Vauxhall all the time, were getting very boring, but he has turned a corner with these progs.

Keep up the good work Mr Clarkson, and another series please.

Evo7
3rd Jul 2001, 14:04
He's on good form, isn't he? Got some guts, too. I wouldn't have gone down the cresta run, been decompressed, centrifuged or stuck in a wind tunnel set to 130mph.... :)

Loved the "We invented everything!" bit at the end (American inventions: Condensed Milk :) :)). Especially as my (American) mother-in-law was visiting at the time....

BigGreenPleasureMachine
3rd Jul 2001, 17:25
He's got guts or he's completely daft.I as warned about standing in a working wind tunnel. seems that engineers have a nasty habit of leaving plywood/nuts/bolts/5pound hammers lying around on occasion.If one of those hits you @130mph you'd definitely have trouble breathing. Good show, nonetheless

Evo7
3rd Jul 2001, 17:30
That's why CFD is so good, innit? No plywood.... ;)

chuck yeager
3rd Jul 2001, 18:51
Why are people so unkind?

FLARE DAMIT
5th Jul 2001, 21:08
Well done Jeremy, nothing like a good fart on TV. Maybe that's why there was so much info on "wind" tunnels. Good show though.

schuler_tuned
5th Jul 2001, 23:08
concorde, the wings? what about the R-R olympus 593's,
something else we gave to the american's, even if it was a bargain at the time!

Paul Wesson
5th Jul 2001, 23:31
Concorde returns - test flights are scheduled for next week. Two landings and take offs are, hopefully, going to take place at RAF BZN. Dates and times to be confirmed - it's been all over the local press and on the radio.

BBC interviewed me in my capacity as District Councillor covering the airfield (north side, anyway). Asked me about the noise - I couldn't help mentioning that the VC10 is noisier!! :)

Clarkson lives 15 miles away from BZN - wonder if he'll get invited to the Press brief. I said all the right things, but I bet I don't! BA - if you're listening -don't suppose there's any chance of being a test pax for the first supersonic run?

ExSimGuy
6th Jul 2001, 00:10
"Extreme Machines" - great show! (maybe I get it a bit later than some of you but the F15 (made by Septics) bit was really impressive!

As for "our" Conc. I was in my "local" a couple of evenings ago and a mate (from BAe) was regretting it's demise, and I was able to tel him -"BA is bringing it back very soon" :)

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!