PDA

View Full Version : Advice

benish
8th Jun 2008, 22:34
Hi, I'm looking for some helpful advice on a matter of things from you all!

I'm just sitting my A level exams at the moment, and I have a part time job. I HAVE 4 EXAMS LEFT THEN I AM DONE WITH SCHOOL FOREVER.

1/ My original plan was to increase my work and do 3/4 days a week whilst doing a PPL and then moving onto the ATPL ground school then heading to hour building in the States. I have the funds for most of that and the wage from working would have covered anything extra.
Most people I have spoken to have advised me on this sort of method because it would keep continuity in training and because I wouldn't be taking a break from learning / education so wouldn't find it hard with the theory.

2/ Yesterday though I had a very positive interview with Servisair at LBA to become a baggage handler/ground crew staff. It seemed very good and they told me it was the best experience I could possibly get before heading into piloting, not to mention how it would look on my CV.

Now I am not sure what to do! Im young, 18. Shift work doesnt make me want to jump through hoops, my social life / relationship would take a blow!

--Can I ask what you would advise between going for it and getting to my goal by concentrating solely on flying, or working at LBA for a while to save and build experience.--

Thanks in advance guys,
Ben.

edit: UNI IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME. I DONT WANT TO GO THERE ISNT A COURSE FOR ME, I WANT TO BE IN AVIATION. I DONT NEED THE ADDED DEBT. PLUS ITS TOO LATE TO APPLY.

Rugbyears
9th Jun 2008, 02:04
In my humble opinion, A-Levels every time, and then, one would even consider University as the next option to acquire a sense of life experience. I found the time spent at university to be the most productive as to date, forging life long friendships as well as developing an understanding of life and its expectancies. Certainly, I would suggest you complete your PPL, and then whilst in education build your hours at an enjoyable leisurely pace, make it fun, unlike many of us! Upon completing your education if the desire to become a commercial pilot is still prevalent, I would suggest you embark upon the commercial route, beginning with Ground School.

Note University isn’t just about academic qualifications; it is everything else which accompanies such an experience. I appreciate one does not need to attend university in order to attain life experience; although, I feel I am only qualified to offer advice based on personal experience.

Furthermore, I believe, you would find completing Ground School examinations very difficult whilst working, or even studying academically, NOT impossible, but very taxing.

My advice: Obtain a good education whilst you are young! :ok:

benish
9th Jun 2008, 10:27
Well Ive completed 6th form now. I am not going to Uni to get in more debt.

Back to the original point of my post. Can anyone advise me on the experiences i would gain from working at an airport and how it will look on a CV for a pilot job?
Would you recommend working now for a few years to earn money and then training when the economy is on the up?

FougaMagister
9th Jun 2008, 11:20
I would always recommend getting an airport job. You will learn lots of useful stuff about aircraft, airline operations etc. and make some useful contacts along the way. But remember that unless you work for an airline's own Ops department, the typical wage scales at handling agents like Servisair, Aviance, Swissport, Menzies etc. are quite low. I got myself a flight dispatcher job after MCC back in 2004 and I started on not much more than the minimum wage! So you would have to work full-time (and do overtime, of which there is usually a lot available) in order to finance your flight training. But with dedication it can be done.

As for uni, the large majority of my colleagues haven't attended uni. Most have instead had a first career (some in the military, or as flight instructors, ground handlers, dispatchers or cabin crew for instance) to finance their training. A degree might be a plus, but it's no silver bullet. I would think experience in the airline industry would count for more.

If however you feel you need a degree, then you should consider aircraft engineering; with the high demand for engineers these days, there are schemes to get the degree financed, and the job commands decent salaries - plus the technical background you'd gain would be priceless later.

Cheers :cool:

VirginSkid
9th Jun 2008, 12:21
Honest advice:

For the moment, concentrate on your A-Levels - Pass them.
Go to university and do a degree - (start doing some flying ont he weekends etc - to gain the PPL)

After uni start to push for the ATPL.

This is because - you need something to fall back on, mind you some would say a degree now is not enough -

Then go for it - hopefully by then all the downturn in the econ. would have passed and you can then go for your dream.

Lost in Cloud
9th Jun 2008, 14:17
My advice is go to Uni and make sure they have a RAF University Air Squadron (UAS) associated with it. Check the RAF website for details. Get an education and attend the UAS at weekends, you will get free flying experience along the way and you could even apply for a RAF flying scholarship (yet more free flying). There is no commitment to join the RAF after your uni course, even though the idea of a UAS is to 'groom' potential RAF personnel.

This way you get an education to fall back on plus a good chunk of free flying (which all counts, check LASORS) towards your 150/200 hour minimum for CPL which will save you a pretty penny or two!