PDA

View Full Version : Direct Entry Captain

wonder
8th Jun 2008, 12:12
Does DEC exists in the US? If so, would you please elaborate on that.

tbaylx
8th Jun 2008, 13:56
I'm sure it does...but not at any airline with a union and a seniority list.

wonder
8th Jun 2008, 16:45
are there any airlines without a union in the US? how can i apply?

southflyer
8th Jun 2008, 19:54
Here, try this airline; I am sure they will have a seat for you there...

http://flyderrie-air.com/

Cheers

wonder
9th Jun 2008, 02:38
thank you southflyer, you cheered me up. is this the new motto of the union?

southflyer
9th Jun 2008, 17:28
Ha ha ha.... good point; perhaps ALPA should charge dues based on poundage...

The Dominican
9th Jun 2008, 18:22
DEC's does exist in the USA even with unionized carriers but only at the regional airline level. Not sure if they are still hiring DEC's at this time (out of the loop for a while) but I know that MESA, PINNACLE, COLGAN and such, were (or still are) hiring DEC's at some point or another. Go to www.airlinepilotcentral.com (http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/) and hiring status and salaries are posted there

Now having said that, you have to have some serious sadomasochist issues if you are thinking about working in the US.:rolleyes:

thepotato232
9th Jun 2008, 20:45
Nobody's even hiring FOs in this country anymore. What makes you think they would hire DECs?

Cruiseclimb
9th Jun 2008, 22:07
The way it works here.. when they are hiring, (At the moment they are not)... is a company may advertise that they are hiring captains, but even the non union companies are senority based. They will hire you as a FO knowing that they do not have enough FOs that are qualified to move to the left seat. When the next bid opens up, and none of the other FOs have the qualifications, then you can be offered a Captain seat if you meet the requirements. Some regional airlines were offering Captain seats to pilots as soon as they finished the training.... not the case anymore.