PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening ?

henry crun
27th Nov 2001, 02:59
All of a sudden in the middle of a session browsing Pprune I suddenly get at the top of each page "You are not authorized to view this page", but it shows the page I am not authorized to see.
This happens regardless of whether I am logged on or not.

In addition as this it also takes 3 or 4 clicks on the Back button to change pages.

Is it just me or are others afflicted ?

spekesoftly
27th Nov 2001, 03:13
Same here

Mirkin About
27th Nov 2001, 08:40
I just get Forbidden where the top banner ad usually is . Thought I was being locked out of something by my ISP but doesn't seem to affect my browsing and the rest of the page shows up just fine . Curiouser and Curiouser

DX Wombat
27th Nov 2001, 10:16
Well that's a relief! I thought I had mangled the connection to PPRuNE, a feat which would have resulted in my computing facilities being withdrawn for the rest of my stay here. Very wierd though isn't it? Is it another discreet form of blackmail to buy a name? Hope not, I really can't afford one. All this commuting to the ex-penal colony costs quite a few pennies even when travelling peasant class and I need to be able to go there at a moments notice :eek:

What_does_this_button_do?
27th Nov 2001, 11:14
Looks like the advertising software has shot itself in the foot. I will ask PPRuNe Dispatcher to take a look.

B

PPRuNe Dispatcher
27th Nov 2001, 13:22
Problem is under investigation.

--Mik

spekesoftly
27th Nov 2001, 19:49
Original problem seems OK now, thanks :)

Minor observation:- The PPRuNe clock appears to be about 10 mins slow.

[ 27 November 2001: Message edited by: spekesoftly ]

spekesoftly
28th Nov 2001, 02:57
Whoops! - problem's back again :confused:

sanjosebaz
28th Nov 2001, 03:22
Seems random - I also get an AUDIO advert occasionally, so it does seem to be related to the banner.

PaperTiger
28th Nov 2001, 10:49
Definitely the banner ad, the message is coming from the advertiser's host.

When it happens again, right click on where it says 'Not authorized' or whatever. Select properties, copy the address (URL) and tell the button man (moderator). He can then hopefully smack the advertiser.

Still it's better than having the ad host not respond at all, tying up one's browser for ages. No names of course (are you listening doubleclick ?).

PPRuNe Dispatcher
29th Nov 2001, 01:38
We know about the ads problem and are closely monitoring the situation.

PPRuNe is setup so that an ad failing to load is a "soft" failure, i.e. it shouldn't prevent the rest of the site or the page from loading. Some other websites could learn from us :D

--Mik

DX Wombat
29th Nov 2001, 05:43
I think it's those penguins again. They have been pouring custard all over our PPRuNe! :eek: