PDA

View Full Version : NPPL

super737
8th Jun 2008, 08:40
Morning folks, before i start my pilot training I've looked at completing a national private pilots license in a microlight and then upgrading to a C152 and then onwards to complete my JAA PPL exams.

Just a quick question, would this route be ok to use to go on then and complete my ATPL?

Whirlygig
8th Jun 2008, 09:09
If you're planning on the modular route to train for a commercial licence, then you must have a JAA PPL in order to start the theoretical training.

You need to be very careful with your budgeting to work out whether that is a cost-effective route. Checks LASORS (downloadable for free from the CAA) section 6.2 but I'm not convinced the NPPL microlight is that easily upgradeable; it would need to be NPPL SSEA. Check also the NPPL website.

My instinct is that you might as well go for a JAA PPL from the start. The NPPL is really only for people who cannot pass a JAA medical, don't want to fly at night and don't want to fly abroad. I doubt whether the hourly cost is any less because, in order for NPPL hours to be credited for a JAA licence, your instructor has to be JAA qualified.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Whirls