PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 - More power, Scotty?

flex won
31st Dec 2000, 11:33
I have a laptop of a few years (Panasonic CF-25). Not used much except for normal MS office applications but I notice it is running very slow i.e slow to load up documents, cursor lagging behind, runs mpegs very slowly.

Spec is: 24Mb RAM, Pentium 1, 100mhz. I know it is VERY low spec but it should do the basics adequately.

I have memory management software (RAMBoost and Cacheman)that keeps me with 50-70% free memory when nothing is loaded.

I have tried some registry management software (Regclean) and the registry has been cleaned and compressed. (Can't tell how well the software has performed).

Am I getting the best performance I can get with this spec or is there something else I can try? Is this a memory problem or a processor capacity issue?

I know I'm being a skinflint in not upgrading but for my purposes I can't justify the expense of a new laptop after my Xmas blow out.

Thanks

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by flex won (edited 31 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by flex won (edited 31 December 2000).]

spannersatcx
31st Dec 2000, 23:15
We have one of these at work, and we use it as a door stop as it is absolute rubbish, slow is not the word, took over 8hrs to install Boeing PMA, it's just rubbish. Bin it and get a new one. (which I hope we will soon)

flex won
2nd Jan 2001, 15:32
Thanks, Spannersatcx.

I agree it old and slow but adequate for my low expectations.

I searched on the Panasonic UK technical support website and found a bios upgrade and a cmos fix that has speeded everything up no end. You may want to try that yourself.

When you get rid of your CF-25, I'd be prepared to give it a good home! (Sorry to be cheeky but I wouldn't want it to hit the bottom of skip)

------------------
There is no spoon......