View Full Version : Modems !!!!

Bus429
2nd Oct 2001, 04:09
Thanks to all for assistance re unistalling

Re loaded Windoms ME and solved problem but....
Now have problem with Modem. Cannot get it to work. Windows does not seem to have a driver for it. I have a disc with modem drivers but there are so many options. Auto detect does not help. What would one do to manually set it up??

fobotcso
2nd Oct 2001, 20:54
You may have come up against the WinME/W2K feature that COM ports are not created as Physical Ports but as Virtual Ports. Then, if you have a Modem that is plugged into a Physical Port, the Virtual Port is referred to the Physical Port (Serial 1, Serial 2 etc).

If Modem is Plug and Play, WinME should find it (ensure modem is powered up before booting up PC). If not, what aisleman says should work, but to desigate a driver, you may need to download it from the manufacturer's Web Site or maybe you can get it from here:
http://www.driverguide.com/

If your Modem worked on Win9X, it should work on ME.

What_does_this_button_do?
3rd Oct 2001, 00:43
The question was "What driver do I use".

The answer is this. The disc you say you have with the drivers on, pop it into the PC. I assume that it's CD so that's usually the D: drive.

Go into Start/Control Panel/Add New Hardware - either self detect or add manually - either way it will ask you where to find the drivers. Click on "Have Disk", type in D:\ (if it is the CD) and the computer should select the right driver itself.

Buttons

Bus429
4th Oct 2001, 04:00
Found the problem - printer wouldn't work either. "win.ini" file was set to "read only".

Now sorted!
:)