PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn last week?

eticket
7th Jun 2008, 11:27
To keep the brain ticking over I try to learn a new 'fact' or something similar each day. That I usually forget it in the next few days is another matter. Quite often PPRuNe supplies the daily gem.

During the last week the piece on the naming of O'Hare airport was one such titbit.

Another was the meaning of the vertical and horizontal lines marked on the inner edge of my laptop's trackpad. I didn't realise that they signified that if I dragged my finger up/down or left/right on them then instead of the mouse going up and down etc., the page on the screen would scroll instead. (Reading a review of another make of laptop found that one out).

The most surprising to me was that it was 25 years ago this week that the Space Shuttle + 747 visited Stansted Airport. (25 years for fecks sake.)

So what did you learn this last week that you didn't know before?

Howard Hughes
7th Jun 2008, 11:35
Don't let your wife go back to work and leave you at home with the baby...;)

tony draper
7th Jun 2008, 11:49
One learned that capacitor values are a bit more critical than one thunk when repairing a DVD Player.:uhoh:

Shack37
7th Jun 2008, 13:05
Mr Faraday told me that just before Kerchoff became a lawyer.
Last week I learned how to spell Yttergryta.

frostbite
7th Jun 2008, 13:09
I have just learned (for the umpteenth time) that weather forecasters are still more than capable of getting the immediate forecast as totally wrong as the long-distance ones.

You want it when?
7th Jun 2008, 16:19
I learnt that the glass roof of a 2003 Piccaso will shatter when you roll it over a fence. I also learnt that I am no longer immortal - I can be hurt :) All is well.

ArthurR
7th Jun 2008, 16:30
You want it when?.....Just because you can be hurt dosn't mean your not immortal..... see you just learn't something....that will do for today

11Fan
7th Jun 2008, 17:37
…..learned not to try to change out an electrical wall switch without shutting of the power first….even though one knew better.

Farrell
7th Jun 2008, 17:43
Never interrupt your wife when she is not speaking.

Overdrive
7th Jun 2008, 20:14
Last week I continued to learn, as I have my whole life, that continued learning will only serve to teach me how little I know.

JAR
7th Jun 2008, 20:26
Never interrupt your wife when she is not speaking.

I didn't know you knew my wife - but you are right!

Blues&twos
7th Jun 2008, 20:51
I learned that it is possible for me to get a plane on the ground without someone saying into my headset

"My control"
or
"My control....going around"
or
"My control...Good god man! Are you trying to kill us both?"

chiglet
7th Jun 2008, 21:09
During the last week the piece on the naming of O'Hare airport was one such titbit.

And here is little ol' me, thinking that KORD was "Ordnance Field".....
As the "Bears" have Soldier Field.......
watp,iktch

The SSK
7th Jun 2008, 21:20
It's well-known that Montreal Mirabel Airport was named because the farmer who owned the land on which it was built had two daughters named Miriam and Isabel.

Not many people know that New York Kennedy Airport was named because the farmer who owned the land on which it was built had two sons called Ken and Neddy.

tony draper
7th Jun 2008, 21:53
Learned tonight that people in England have been eating mince pies at Christmas since sixteen hundred and hows yer father,however the original ones had minced beef in em as well as fruit, hence the name, mince pies.
Not many people know that.
:)

goudie
7th Jun 2008, 21:58
I have learnt, many times over that, all women want to be wanted but not all, want to be had!

Parapunter
7th Jun 2008, 22:10
I learnt today that not all babies are water babies & that the one I posess is capable of a death grip in two foot of chlorinated water that makes the gestation scene in Alien look like a handshake from John Humphries with added horrified stares from assorted parents whose offspring are simultaneously giving it Duncan Goodhew and Paddington Bear stares.

Think we'll go again next week. Once the ligature has faded.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Jun 2008, 22:26
I learnt today that the 2 idiots in the Halifax advert, (coloured chap and the oriental midget) can't sing.

G-CPTN
7th Jun 2008, 23:41
however the original ones had minced beef in em as well as fruit, hence the name, mince pies.Close, Herr Drapes, but it's why the contents are referred-to as mincemeat . . .
http://onlinestore.smucker.com/images/catalog/prodimages/Mincemeat-20.5-md.jpg
Mincemeat is a mixture of chopped dried fruit, distilled spirits and spices, and sometimes beef suet, beef, or venison. Originally, mincemeat always contained meat.
(from:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat )

Carbon Bootprint
8th Jun 2008, 00:08
I learnt that I have flown 1,098,915 miles on a certain air carrier. I was surprised they kept track of that sh!t.

Sorry for interjecting aviation content into JB. I know I will be beaten, burned or banned.

G-CPTN
8th Jun 2008, 00:16
I learnt that I have flown 1,098,915 miles on a certain air carrier.
Does that include stacking, or merely point-to-point?

Beatriz Fontana
8th Jun 2008, 10:14
I learned last week that when you've found true love, it's difficult to imagine how you could have lived without it, but how life changes for the better with it.

I also learned that the Arabic for apricots is meesh meesh.

tony draper
8th Jun 2008, 10:42
True Love? Bah!! it's just chemicals an stuff.:rolleyes:

Carbon Bootprint
8th Jun 2008, 12:51
Does that include stacking, or merely point-to-point?
Merely point-to-point. No extra mileage credited whilst in the hold, or for matter, during my six career go-arounds (two of which occurred on the same flight).

Shack37
9th Jun 2008, 05:19
I learned today that a link to PPRUNE in my personal webmail, on my work computer, advising of a new PM, gets me access to the site whereas direct access is blocked...................wonderful!

Happiness is easy access.:)

Only used when the weather makes it too bouncy to work of course:ok:

Forkandles
9th Jun 2008, 09:12
I learnt on Friday that I am just as crap at golf today as I was 20 years ago when I started. And I really should wear a hat to stop my head going all red and burny. :*

vectis lady
9th Jun 2008, 10:42
i learnt that calculus makes no sense

ZFT
9th Jun 2008, 10:47
I learnt that the grief for the loss of my dog of 15 years last Friday is almost unbearable. I've got another reason never to forget D Day

Wholigan
9th Jun 2008, 15:07
I learned that if - after 3 games of golf - your back really hurts because of the remaining problems with having had shingles ............ you really shouldn't keep on playing 'cos it then reeeeeally feckin' hurts and you wonder how you are going to survive the return flight with eeeezyjett!!

frostbite
9th Jun 2008, 15:41
I learned that I'm not really well enough to spend half an hour brushcutting, followed by half an hour mowing, even with a four hour gap between the two.

PA-28-180
9th Jun 2008, 16:02
I've relearned that we are all connected in some way...my condolences ZFT!

CityofFlight
9th Jun 2008, 20:55
I've learned that there is life after divorce. Despite the fact that I feel like a 3 yr old stepping onto an escalator, there's a measured level of satisfaction in not having tripped yet.

ZFT....15 yrs old shows how well loved the pup was under your care. My deepest condolences...

Atlas Shrugged
10th Jun 2008, 03:15
I learned never to operate a chainsaw after taking a cold pill :eek:

Buster Hyman
10th Jun 2008, 03:46
I learned that SatNav in the UK is SHlTE! Your Motorways are SHlTE revenue spinners, driving round Heathrow is SHlTE, Terminal 3 is SHlTE, the M6 Tollway around Birmingham is excellent, but the 4.50 toll is SHlTE!

CityofFlight
10th Jun 2008, 03:50
Tell us how your REALLY feel. :}

gingernut
10th Jun 2008, 11:24
ZFT-sorry to hear that.

Petrol hedge trimmers are excellent for cutting telephone cables.

Atlas Shrugged
12th Jun 2008, 04:36
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end :E

oopspff7
12th Jun 2008, 10:24
I learned that sometimes people get the justice they deserve:ok:
Tis a pity he did,nt use his head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZXslsLDLs&eurl=

Glamgirl
12th Jun 2008, 22:43
I learned that new friends come from the most unusual places and I also learned that friends turn into non-friends for no apparent reason.