PDA

View Full Version : FAA to JAA conversion

Bubi352
7th Jun 2008, 03:49
I know the subject has been brought up before but I wanted to get some advice from people who took the same path I am about to undertake.

I have my FAA CPL (+2,000 hours) and working for a US airline on the A320. I just started working for them and have roughly ~200 hours on type. With the economic situation in the US, it is likely I will find myself furloughed in the next couple of months. So I am trying to speed up my conversion to cover myself. I passed all my 14 ATPL exams but have to yet do the skill tests.

What would be the cheapest and most efficient way to complete the skill tests?

Can I take my CPL/IR skill test in the A320 sim? Has someone here done this before (in the US)?

My understanding is once I pass my CPL skill test and I get 500 hours of multi experience, it converts into a JAA ATPL. Is that correct?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

redsnail
7th Jun 2008, 08:27
You'll need to research LASORS on the CAA UK site carefully. Have you done the JAA medical? That'll need to be done in Gatwick if you're going the UK route.

Not knowing the full break down of your hours as I read it from the above info, you don't have 500 hours on the A320 and I am guessing, you don't have 500 hours multi pilot time? (No, I don't mean flying a piston twin).

If LASORS stipulates you need 500 hours multi pilot, then you'll have to do the CPL/IR flight tests.
If LASORS doesn't, then you'll have to do a full JAR 25 type rating (again!!) and have the LST observed by a CAA Examiner. (not just a TRE).

If you can, get 500 hours (sim recurrent time is acceptable too) on the A320, then you just need to complete the LST being observed by the UK CAA Examiner. I do strongly recommend some practice flights though.

spearomic
7th Jun 2008, 17:52
Negative, all you have to do is pass the 14exams, then find a sim in Europe better to do it in the same country that gave you the 14 exams. You must pass a checkride under ATP standard with a JAA TRE/TRI, contact the civil aviation where you want to do it they will help you, even give you contact for the examiner (if they are nice enough) UK pepole are nice, french froggs not too much (don't start on me I am French as well) but the DGAC are a little bit to lazy sometimes and not very helpfull.
I am in the process of getting it done as well.
Good luck

redsnail
7th Jun 2008, 18:52
Positive I am afraid if you're after a UK CAA issued ATPL conversion.

G1.5 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20G%20-%20AIRLINE%20TRANSPORT%20PILOT%20LICENCE.pdf). Read the Non-JAA ATPL(A) bit.

I cannot comment on the DGAC and what they require.
The original poster said he has a CPL, not an ATPL hence the comments about 500 hours etc and the recommendation that the OP reads LASORS for the specifics.