PDA

View Full Version : VIRGIN.NET GONE CRACKERS??

BEagle
26th Nov 2001, 10:49
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting fed up with that silly Christmas cracker thing which appears whenever I connect to the Virgin.net site?

Anyone have an update as to when the Virgin 24/7 unmetered access is going to start?

keeders
29th Nov 2001, 00:26
Absobleedinlutely............Right pain in the T*TS.

Details from Virgin site below

Regards Keeders

What is Unmetered Internet Access?
Unmetered Internet access gives you unlimited access to the Internet for a fixed monthly charge rather than paying by the minute for the time you spend online. You pay your Internet Service Provider and no charges appear on your phone bill. We said we'd keep you updated about our plans for an unmetered Internet service.

Is Virgin.net going to offer an unmetered Internet service?
Yes, we are currently running a trial but will be launching a full service soon.

What will the Virgin.net Internet service be called?
This new unmetered service will be called Virgin.net 24seven.

What will Virgin.net 24seven offer me?
Unlimited Internet access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This means that no matter how much time you spend online, day or night, you only pay the fixed monthly charge.

When will the service be available?
Soon! Keep a eye on the Virgin.net home page to find out when we go live.

What will Virgin.net 24seven cost?
Subscription to the Virgin.net 24seven service will cost £15.00 per month (including VAT).

Will Virgin.net 24seven replace the existing pence per minute service (now known as Virgin.net Pay As You Go)?
No. Virgin.net 24seven will be offered as an alternative option to Pay As You Go. The existing service will continue as normal. The choice will be yours.

Will I receive the same benefits with Virgin.net 24seven?

Yes, as with Virgin.net Pay As You Go, you will receive:

5 email addresses

10mb of Freespace (so you can build your own website)

Free technical support via email

Telephone support 365 days a year

The UK's No.1 entertainment and leisure website

:D

spekesoftly
29th Nov 2001, 15:48
Ref. Virgin 24/7 unmetered

Any mention of cut-off times and contention ratio?

KBaB
5th Dec 2001, 01:44
I was on the trial for 24/7 access and cut off every 2 hours. Not really to bad. now with BT and its the same, every 2hrs and its "goodbye" in a good Anne robinson style.

FJJP
5th Dec 2001, 13:05
Re getting cut off after 2 hours. A friend of mine has NTL (cable) and gets around this by configuring Outlook Express to check his mailbox every minute; thus the server believes it is in constant use. I'm on BT Internet Anytime, have done the same and it appears to work.

WhiteSail
6th Dec 2001, 02:17
FJJP, the two hour cut off for most ISP's is inbuilt into their server software, and is not something you can overcome. Almost always however, they will let you re-connect immediately.

The ruse of setting up your E-Mail to check every so often, overcomes a limit imposed by some ISP's, whereby they cut the connection if no traffic is detected. Typically, they will cut you off after 15-30 mins. for this type of "error".So, if you connected to one of these ISP's, and left your computer unattended, the E-Mail checks would maintain the connection for you, as the server would believe you were active on line. :)