PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bloke calling myself Lydia & I have an unhealthy obsession with the USA

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 16:15
This is quite a sad and shocking reflection on our society today.

I cannot believe that nobody stopped to help this guy.

Hit and run victim left in road (http://news.aol.com/story/_a/bystanders-ignore-hit-and-run-victim/20080605164309990001)

edited to add

for those joining the thread, the title as advertised is not what was written in the first place. It seems to be a jolly infantile jape by one of the MODS (thats those who tell you not to slag other people off)

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2008, 16:31
Maybe he didn't look rich enough to be able to pay for the ambulance.

(Is it really true that the crew of a US ambulance will go through your pockets looking for an insurance card or credit card before loading you up, or is this just a malicious myth believed by the rest of the world?)

Ozzy
6th Jun 2008, 16:33
1. What the **** was he doing walking down the middle of a busy two way street?

2. What would you expect a passer by to do in terms of "helping" a hit and run victim? Would you move him to the side? That could make things much much worse.

I am sorry, the right thing to do is to call the ambulance. This is the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.:ugh:

Ozzy

Is it really true that the crew of a US ambulance will go through your pockets looking for an insurance card or credit card before loading you up, or is this just a malicious myth believed by the rest of the world?)

From personal experience, it's a malicious lie.

FlyMD
6th Jun 2008, 16:42
From personal experience, the US is one of the very few countries in the world where you will get medical help first, and be asked to provide money or proof of insurance second. I took my FO to a Dallas hospital when he collapsed during a SIM session, and it was only after he was hanging on a saline perfusion, diagnostically handled, that the matter of money came up. It's the law in Texas, and many other states.

As a counter example, my dad suffered a myocardic infarction while waiting in the emergency room of a dominican hospital, because the fax from his insurance was late to come..

Recently, a man died on the parking lot of a german hospital because the staff could not be bothered to come out, and would not let the wife of the guy use their phone..

In Switzerland, I took a foreign colleague of mine to the hospital with a bad flu gone symptomatically acute: before giving me so much as the time of the day, the staff sent me to the ATM for a 400 dollar deposit!

I'm no fan of the US lately, but in this respect they do not fear comparison to any other country I've ever been to.

gingernut
6th Jun 2008, 16:49
When I first read the notes, I thought "oh no, another case of bystander apathy."

Looking at the video, I don't think it was a case of bystander apathy at all.

The first rule of first aid of course, is don't get hurt yourself.

Secondly, if you don't know what your doing, don't touch the victim. Ok, if you've had the training, check the airway, breathing etc. Perhaps peoples lack of knowledge may reflect what gets taught at school, but I think this may be another argument.

It looks to me that the crowd did the right thing by doing nothing, other than seeking help.

It was a shocking incident, and it looks like people were indeed shocked.

Ixixly
6th Jun 2008, 17:03
Well Ozzy, i think basically the problem was that after he got hit no one really did anything, my personal reaction would be to go out and at the very least stop traffic around him so that nothing else occurs, call an ambulance and be close enough to see him clearly and provide the emergency operators with as much information as i possibly can. Thats what i'd expect them to do.

And by the looks of things he wasn't walking down the middle, he was attempting to cross the road (Mind you not directly but at a bit of an angle) and didn't expect the two idiots in their cars to cross on to the other side of the road like they did.

Yeah, the media are adding a bit of hype to it, but realistically people really did nothing, no one walked out to simply check on the man and see what aid could be rendered, no one had called 911 by the sounds of the news report either. If that police cruiser hadn't arrived by chance like it did how long would people have continued to stand on the side looking at him without calling 911?

corsair
6th Jun 2008, 17:10
Apart from the fact that driver failed to stop. To me most people reacted pretty much as they do everywhere. There was an initial hesitancy but people gradually edged towards the man.

Bear in mind the surprise factor for passersby. If you saw the accident you would be shocked by the sight of it. That as often as not paralyses you into inaction. It happens in all sorts of situations. There are videos of people right beside a fire in a building apparently reacting casually to it, in spite of being in mortal danger.

On the other hand if you didn't see it. You might see him and wonder what was going on. It takes a second or two for anything like that to sink in. Unless you are primed and most importantly trained to leap into action, You hesitate trying to take it in.

From my own point of view there is nothing I could do, not having any first aid experience. All I could have done is exactly the same as the people standing in the street at the end of the video. I know enough not to move any victim.

Years ago, I saw a man hit by a car further down the street. I didn't go over for two reasons. One I could do nothing for him and there were plenty of others there rushing over who could do nothing either and two I really didn't need to see the bloody aftermath of a traffic accident. If I was the only other person on the street that would be different.

plinkton
6th Jun 2008, 17:17
I was nearly run down a few years ago after stopping to help a guy I thought was dying in his car on the 'fast' lane of the motorway as a result of a major smash.

Several minutes went by as I tried to kick in his window (couldn't open the door) watching him have a fit (epileptic or as a result of his injuries) inside. I was absolutely crapping myself. Only a fellow van driver actually stopped, everyone else pushed through in the rush to get to work and one guy (black BMW) nearly took me out as I crossed the back over the road to get something heavy to break in.

Stupidly I had 'correctly' stopped on the hard shoulder. If I was in this situation again I would happily block a three lane motorway with whatever car or lorry I was in to protect myself.

You wouldn't believe how many people will actually slow down to a crawl on the opposite carriageway to get a glimpse of someone who is in deep shi*t.

I left after the police arrived and never actually found out what happened to the guy, presumably OK but the whole episode still brings a chill over me now and I actually had flashbacks for a while afterwards. Strangely they were not of smashed up cars or a poorly driver but of the faces passing me on the opposite side of the road.

I believe we are a selfish society.

BTW if you are ever in this situation, try BOTH doors, drivers was mangled and in my panic I didn't think to try the passenger side, the other guy who stopped realised this and that is how we got in.

CityofFlight
6th Jun 2008, 17:22
Sorry folks...U.S. as slime, may not apply here. When researching calls into 911, calls had been placed within seconds, the police car arrived within 2 mins and bystanders stood around as to not leave him alone. So...imagine that, the media has spinned another story.

Also, EMT's check inside wallets for anything that may indentify an underlying health conditions. These days, with all the ambulance chasers (pun intended) everyone is covering their behinds.

con-pilot
6th Jun 2008, 17:43
Here is one more fact that needs to be taken into consideration. Victims of sudden blunt trauma impacts such as in this case should not be moved or even touched unless you are a trained responder such as a EMT, nurse or doctor.

Unless the victim is bleeding profusely they must be left untouched until fire/rescue arrives. It is very possible that his man could have a broken neck, back or internal injuries that any untrained movement of his body could greatly increase his injuries.

It is now being revealed that in less than a minute from the time the man was hit that numerous call were made to the 911 center reporting the accident. But that doesn't make good headlines. :suspect:

I just hope that the video shows enough information that the piece of slime that hit this poor guy will be caught and severely punished.

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 18:00
Ozzy -you surprise me

cityofFlight - you don't surprise me

Con - We love to disagree on everything (bar once;) )

Oz it does not matter why he was crossing the road where he did, he was hit by a car which departed the scene of the accident, end of story.

For all you budding paramedics who are saying 'rule 1' don't move the victim it might get worse' ....bravo. HOWEVER Ixixly has got it spot on. If that were the case, why did nobody go on to , what was essentially a not to busy road, and stop the traffic, etc etc, to ensure that a guy who was bleeding but conscious was not killed by the next vehicle that came along. It was utterly crass, like the people you see watching a mugging. This is not US bashing for gods sake, it could have been any country, so stop trying to defend it. And Ginger, watch how long it takes to get a crowd to do the right thing. I would have been in the middle of the road in a heartbeat, if doing nothing else but talking to the guy and telling him i had called an ambulance and that he was going to be all right, (by the way, for all the first aid experts, as an instructor on the subject, you are taught to do that bit as well), there were plenty of people around to call on for help with traffic control.

Con ..Unless the victim is bleeding profusely

Nobody went close enough to even observe this.

I also fail to see how the media have hyped it up. My judgement is made purely on the basis of watching CCTV, has that been hyped up? I've taken no notice of any text from the media.

Bye the way, if people know about 'rule 1' don't move the victim it might get worse' then they should also now to make sure the victims airway is clear - at all costs. We had a 14 year old boy die near where we lived (UK not USA), fell off his bike, knocked unconscious, and died because nobody cleared his airway, they just stood and watched(about 10 people), in the time it took the ambulance to arrive, he slowly died from a basic inability to breath. I remember talking to the ambulance guy afterwards who i knew, and he simply said 'he was surrounded by a bunch of w*****s who did nothing, thats the only reason he died'.

West Coast
6th Jun 2008, 18:15
I took my FO to a Dallas hospital when he collapsed during a SIM session

Dang, that sim guy must have been throwing the book at you. Fists of fury on the sim panel introducing multiple compound emergencies?

brickhistory
6th Jun 2008, 18:17
This is not US bashing for gods sake,

Really?!

Then tell me again the thread's title?

CityofFlight
6th Jun 2008, 18:20
Amen Brick!

Lydia, how do you know no one spoke to him? There's no audio.

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 18:23
Brick

Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Germany, Brazil, blah blah blah etc etc, are all entrenched in the bible. Had it happened in Italy it would have been the same title. Stop being so sensitive. You lot are not always the center of the universe you know.

CityofFlight

Lydia, how do you know no one spoke to him? There's no audio.

Are you an adult?? I think even Brick and Con will think thats a rather foolish thing to say. So from the video, what do you think they did? Shout from the side of the road??

"Hey buddy my names Bob, i can shout loud cause i was in the artillery, need any help?? Hey what you say I can't hear you!", Or the guy driving past who slows down "need any help there pardner?" "GNNNRRR UGGH" drivers wife "what he say honey" "oh i think he's ok", then again their was the guy on the motor bike "buddy, you ok?" "say again ,dang i got a helmut on"

There will be a space shuttle leaving for earth shortly.

Ozzy
6th Jun 2008, 18:23
Oz it does not matter why he was crossing the road where he did,

the point is he brought it on himself. Yes the driver should have stopped to give his/her side of the story, would be better for them.

Ozzy

1DC
6th Jun 2008, 18:34
The only crime committed here is that a driver failed to stop after hitting a pedestrian(this happens every day in most countries of the world.) It is clear that emergency services were called without delay and the fact that no one administered first aid could be that no one knew what to do.People were standing by him and he therefore wasn't being ignored. I have sympathy for the victim but am also surprised that the story made prime time news on the BBC, if a video camera was available i am sure the same scenario could have been filmed today in the UK..
A tragedy for someone but not a world news story..

CityofFlight
6th Jun 2008, 18:37
I'm not defending my question to you.

You seem to have your britches in a twist and are on the offensive.

brickhistory
6th Jun 2008, 18:37
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Germany, Brazil, blah blah blah etc etc, are all entrenched in the bible. Had it happened in Italy it would have been the same title.

I do not believe you.

While I understand your point of being outraged at the accident (but blown out of proportion by a ghoulish media), the simple fact of titling this thread:

For a country entrenched in the bible-seems nobody read 'The Good Samaritan'

was a country-specific bash. You would not have said the same regarding Norway, et al. Not because their roots don't include the Bible, but because that is not the typical stereotypical description of each of them.

I'm fine with an insult, just 'fess up to it.

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 18:42
No Ozzy

the point is he brought it on himself

the point is everybody ignored him!!

1DC

nobody was taking about crimes committed, and nobody stood around him, his needs were ignored. Yes it could have been filmed anywhere, as said

This is quite a sad and shocking reflection on our society today.

Ozzy
6th Jun 2008, 18:44
the point is everybody ignored him!!

Utter sh!te. Look at the video again, there were people on the street around him. You are taking a cheap anti-US shot and it's fecking obvious. Pathetic loser.

Ozzy

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 18:50
Brick

you should really stop trying to defend the wide and varied opinions of all 450 million people just because they were born on the came bit of land. There are enough wierdo's and nutters in the UK as it is and we only have 60 million people, so you have 7.5 times as many. Norway, and especially Italy are countries that are entrenched in the bible.

Ozzy

there is no cheap US shot, you are off your head. So the people on the street are around him are they? As i said you surprise me, go to happy hour for gods sake.

brickhistory
6th Jun 2008, 18:55
of all 450 million people

Dang! We have got to do something about that border!

Last time I heard (last year) there was only 300 million of us 'center of the universe' types.

And your title was a very loaded statement. No amount of dissembling will undo that.

1DC
6th Jun 2008, 18:58
Don't know what you are seeing in Thailand Lydia but on the BBC 6 o clock news people are certainly standing around him. Perhaps you should give this one up Lydia you are starting to come across as someone who is seeing something completely different to everyone else.

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 19:03
1DC

well if you look at the link i posted it is to a clip on AOL, the US part of the site. I certainly aint seen no BBC news.

Ozzy
6th Jun 2008, 19:19
go to happy hour for gods sake.

No worries, I will. It seems you beat me to it however.:hmm:

Ozzy

Lydia Dustbin
6th Jun 2008, 19:37
you could be right mate;)

It wasn't an American dig, if you think it was, i am sorry, i am an arse!

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2008, 20:09
I took my FO to a Dallas hospital ... it was only after he was hanging on a saline perfusion, diagnostically handled, that the matter of money came up. It's the law in Texas, and many other states.
Boggle!

So, it must have happened in the past then. There's no other remotely conceivable reason anyone would have thought it worthwhile inventing such a bizarre law!!

Thus the myth is historical rather than completely invented.

brockenspectre
6th Jun 2008, 21:01
What I found disturbing while watching the CCTV courtesy of the BBC (quite why the BBC chose to highlight this particular hit and run I don't quite know) was that no-one actually approached close enough or hunkered down to speak to the guy who had been hit. I appreciate that without expert training in emergency medicine more harm than good can be done ... but hearing is the last of the senses to go (and the first to return) so it would have been an easy matter for one of the many who dialled 911 to approach the old guy and to encourage him to hold on as help was on its way...

The people standing around, and one in particular who seemed to be using a cellphone or something in his hand that he waved around as if taking pictures, were acting like zombies.

The only accident I have had an involvement with was someone being knocked down in Knightsbridge. A very smartly dressed cute guy (who I had been observing from my front seat downstairs on the bus!) was tossed in the air by a fast car while he was happily crossing the road in front of the bus at a pedestrian crossing - the car involved overtook the bus I was on and, perhaps due to the low setting sun reflecting off the lights, didn't see that the light was red. The driver did stop, an old guy who was extremely shocked and also needed to be taken to the hospital.

At the time of the incident I just got off the bus and started acting like a total bossyboots... someone wanted to move the guy (unconscious and bleeding from his head) and I was almost like a mother hen in my determination that he shouldn't be moved... when the ambulance arrived they were pleased that the victim hadn't been moved, and I ended up going in the ambulance with him (he had been carrying a very expensive briefcase and overcoat and I had already stopped one person trying to pinch it!). I stayed with the guy until he was safely in the ER and then left. I have no idea who he was but I just did my best. At the time I was an out-of-date first aider so I knew I could to nothing except guard the guy against theft and idiots trying to move him and speak words of encouragement.

That no-one on the CCTV shown by the Beeb even attempted to communicate with the man on the ground is what shocks me - there, for me, is the lack of humanity in what we are being shown.

That it is a video of an incident in USA is coincidental - I am sure there are many places around the world where similar or worse would occur.

Shame on those who didn't want to "get involved" is my final word on the matter!

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jun 2008, 21:18
A couple of years ago a light aircraft crashed near a local strip. The two occupants, one badly burnt were mugged by passers by, beaten, stripped of all their possessions and left naked in the veld. They were rescued by members of the flying club who got to the accident scene too late to prevent them being assaulted.

The pilot of a Tiger Moth that crashed last year was pulled out of the wreck and beaten by an angry mob. Injuries sustained in the crash just made him an easier target.

I guess in that respect this person got off lightly...

CityofFlight
6th Jun 2008, 21:38
I feel ashamed on behalf of society, that in this scene, we don't see someone who appears more actively involved by lowering themselves to his level in a compassionate manner. What I tried to bring up before is that with no audio, we don't know if someone said, "hang on old man, we're calling 911" or "someone's on the way". We do see what appears to be a woman, get close, then walk back to the side walk, then come back by him again. (it seems she might be asking for help) People do get around him and I have a hard time believing that no one spoke to him. (if he was conscious) Again, there's no audio. All we see is body language, subject to worldwide interpretation.

I think people might be afraid to do more. Afraid to inject themselves at the risk of their own harm. Harm in being hit, harm by bodily fluids, afraid to cause more harm to victim. Afraid to see blood....

No one knows how they'll act when something unveils like this before your eyes. There are people who go into shock, seem to be dumbfounded with what to do and people who jump right in and take control. Good thing the world has the latter. I would bet that if they could replay the scene, many of the bystanders are wishing they'd thought of some way to do more. Also, keep in mind, the police car arrives within 2 mins.

My 2 cents worth...

corsair
6th Jun 2008, 22:13
It's perfectly evident that some of you have never been at the scene of an accident like that. Your smug assumption that you would leap to the rescue of the unfortunate individual is based entirely on the your own fantasies about how you would react to that situation.

Let's spell it out, unless you have training and experience of those situations. Most of us haven't and effing clue what to do. Those of us who a police, ambulance or fire brigade KNOW what to to will react correctly. The rest of will stand around foolishly unable to react.

That's why the emergency services are trained very carefully. So get off your high horses and step out of your Walter Mitty fantasies and face reality.

What you see in the video is close to what YOU would do in the same situation unless you have the training or experience to do otherwise.

This is the internet as it's worst, experts aftet the event with lots of time to make judgements.

brockenspectre
6th Jun 2008, 22:31
corsair - not Walter Mitty at all if you mean me. In my case, when I saw the guy in Knightsbridge (who I had been thinking was way cute just a moment before) be flung in to the air I definitely sat transfixed for a few seconds as I couldn't believe my eyes... but as soon as his body squashed on to the ground there was something about the flatness and immobility of this human body and lack of action from others that got my feet moving. I cannot claim to have chosen to be "the rescuer" .. I knew I had no qualifications to do anything except, as it transpired, prevent him being moved or robbed... at the time I saw the incident I had no real clue what to do or how to do it.. just that something had to be done and I did what I did until the professionals arrived on the scene 15mins or so later. I pretty much did nothing except keep the guy company, make sure he wasn't robbed or run over by other vehicles (part of my "bossy-bootness" was me yelling at the bus-driver to block the overtaking lane).

Would I act the same again? I would hope so, if it was obvious there was no-one else better qualified to do so. Do I know how I would/will respond? nopes. These days I battle parky bo11ox so may not have what it takes... all I can reiterate is that it seems to me that the old man run down in Connecticut cut a lonely figure on that road and that is what I found/find shameful.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2008, 22:32
What you see in a video might not reflect the reality, sure.

The last time I witnessed a serious accident on a motorway, with motorbike and bodies spinning across the carriageway, any camera watching would have seen me drive past without even slowing down. Callous or what?

Because, in those days prior to mobile phones, I was getting to the next phone as fast as I could. And I was the first to call the emergency services. Which I would not have been had I stopped to do something more visibly "helpful" at the accident scene.

tony draper
6th Jun 2008, 22:36
There was a television prog on a couple of years back where they ran a experiment,hidden cameras filmed peoples reaction to what appeared to be a person collapsed in the street(an actor of course) from what I remember of it if you collapse in a city in the South of England you are in bad luck,further North they re ran it the more people stopped to help.
Yer miserable Southern feckers.:= :rolleyes:

gingernut
6th Jun 2008, 22:45
I would have been in the middle of the road in a heartbeat,

Sounds like you've got an experience to share L.

If you've got footage, I'd be glad to add a critique:)

I've been there, it's an awful situation, with the best training in the world, shock takes over. I've intervened in 2 or 3 situations,out of work, none of which had a good outcome.

One involved a young girl, many years ago,and I mentally rewound the situation many times, trying to edit the film with "what if I tried to do something different," - never got a good outcome. Still see her young, beautiful, dead face now, but now it's a bit faded. Always wanted to tell her family I was sorry.

On a brighter note, once came across a young girl who was run over playing chicken. T'was the days before mobile phones, but managed to get a signal on me' district nurse walkie talkie, and help was soon at hand.

Think she eventually went on to be the youngest ASBO recipient in the North West- but what the hell, she livd:)

airfoilmod
6th Jun 2008, 22:55
In the US, one need only show up at any Emergency Room, on foot crawling or on a stretcher. By Federal Law, the Hospital "Must Treat". No citizenship, money or political affiliation required. Lithium's video is startling to me, I honestly think it took too long for Fellow Humans to care. It wants explaining, that much I know.

Airfoil

"Jaywalking" an infraction, and dangerous

Driving on the wrong side of the road, an infraction

Hit and Run with injury a misdemeanor

Hit and Run with death, Manslaughter, a felony

Lack of initial care and concern. inexcusable.

Dushan
7th Jun 2008, 02:45
Good Samaritans at Sask. accident scene told to get blood test
(http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2008/06/01/accident-samaritan.html)

"Police are trying to track down several Good Samaritans who helped bleeding victims at the scene of a Saskatchewan car crash because they may have been exposed to a blood-borne disease."

Lydia Dustbin
7th Jun 2008, 03:02
To the MOD who has changed the title of this thread, to it's current heading, I hope you are amused with your work, it's given you a giggle has it?

Ginger

yep had a few experiences. two in particular were awful, no video footage though.

one low key incident years ago brought home the whole concept of 'crowd shock/paralysis.

I once remember in Blackpool (UK) 15 years ago, walking on the seafront with the kids seeing a crowd of maybe 100 people formed on the tram line nearby. I went over and was horrified to see a woman in the centre of the crowd (all stood 10m away), who had collapsed and appeared to be fitting, with a five year old screaming and tugging at her clothes, and an elderly woman (turned out to be her mother), kneeling down screaming 'please somebody help us'. Everybody in the crowd was stood as if watching TV, nobody offered assistance. I went in asked two guys to go either side on tram line and stop tram traffic, one guy to call ambulance, saw to her needs, kept airway clear, held mums hand and said it will be ok, and got wife to take care of the five year old. 4 Mins later, ambulance arrive, hand over to them, leave and buy the kids an ice cream. By the way for the MOD who changed the title, they were British people, not American.

BlueDiamond
7th Jun 2008, 03:33
I'm a little confused here, Lydia. You say you were walking along the beachfront "with the kids" and you go on to mention that you "... got wife to take care of the five year old." Are you talking about your own wife and children here? You list your age as 30 (Join Date: Apr 2008 Location: Thailand Age: 30 Posts: 13), and you say this incident happened fifteen years ago, but that would make you a child of only 15 yourself at the time. Were "the kids" your own brothers/sisters, and the "wife" was someone else's?

Lydia Dustbin
7th Jun 2008, 03:58
no Bluey
just slipped with the age button and never updated my profile as i was just waiting my other handle to be reinstated. as yet it hasn't been. Age 48

edited to add

for those just joining the thread, the title as advertised is not what was written in the first place. Itīs been changed by the mods to reflect my worsening tendencies towards absolute paranoia and pointless sh!t stirring.

BlueDiamond
7th Jun 2008, 04:44
Thanks mate. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Jun 2008, 07:45
In the passport queue at JNB Intl (as it was known then), a young lady fell to the floor and had a seizure. Airport officials just stood and watched, doing nothing to help, not even summoning assistance. Myself and another crew member in the line went to render assistance and told the airport staff hanging around to call a medic. Instead of doing that, the fat sandwich chewing bovine creature began berating us for speaking to her in a brusque manner and ordering her to get a medic rather than crawl up to her, kissing her feet in supplication. Fortunately for her the patient was in no danger and I managed to tackle the other crew member before he could get to her. A passenger in the queue went to get help while the whining bitch finished her tirade.

If there was a problem with assistance being rendered in other cases mentioned here, is it possible the onlookers were all government employed jobsworth drones as well?

PanPanYourself
7th Jun 2008, 09:28
Lydia Trash Can,

Having lived in the so called "bible belt" of the USA and in Norway, I must tell you that there is absolutely no comparison between the two. The typical Norwegian is too hung over on a Sunday morning to even think about going to church. The typical bible belt Christian will drag an unapologetic atheist like me kicking and screaming to his church any chance he gets.

That's all beside the point. This video proves absolutely nothing about anything, there's no audio, and it's really quite hard to make out exactly what the hell is going on. Even if it were verifiable that the handful of people in the video were actually deliberately ignoring this unfortunate individual, then that would still not prove anything about the bible entrenched folks back in the US. It could simply be a coincidence that several inconsiderate people were at the same place at the same time. There are many possible explanations, and nothing definite can be derived from the video you posted.

In my experience Americans tend to be very eager to lend a helping hand to a stranger. Europeans have a lot of catching up to do on that front, especially the French.

airfoilmod
7th Jun 2008, 09:36
We have many cultural shortcomings, but I've never thought cold-hearted was one of them. I can't explain the Video, it isn't comfortable to watch, and I can't think of a single explanation for the apparent lack of instant care and concern. Nothing about Connecticut rings a Bell either. We really aren't as "regional" as Europe, we are pretty homogenized. Thanks for the good words.

Airfoil

Lydia Dustbin
7th Jun 2008, 10:01
I will say again for the hard of hearing. It was not a dig at Americans. I can write it in capitals if you like. By the way Pan its Dustbin, a Trash Can is American. I too have been in Norway many years. The staunch Catholic communities take their hangovers to church with them, the wives see to that. I wasn't comparing bible belt or culture or conneticut, it was just a link to a video. Seems there are many more on this thread think that appropriate action was not taken in a timely manner. The original title was simply a lead in to the parable of the good samaritan, nothing more:ugh:

tony draper
7th Jun 2008, 10:16
Anyway whatever happened to the Smaritans? one cannot find a Samaritania in me Atlas anywhere, nor has on ever heard of a Samaritan Passport, one suspects his good deed did not go unpunished.
:uhoh:

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Jun 2008, 10:22
It seems to be a jolly infantile jape by one of the MODS (thats those who tell you not to slag other people off)

Since when were 'the mods' subject to the same rules that they require us to follow.......

Rule 1 - Danny (& mods) are always right.

Rule 2 - See Rule 1

It's called power:rolleyes:

PS Do the Mods still wear those awful Parka coats and roar around on underpowered lambrettas trailing a dead foxes tail?

PPS now have a vision of a group of Mods, sitting in a darkened room, gathered around a laptop discussing which posters they are going to ban for daring to question their wheeze....Music from the Jam blaring out in the background....

airship
7th Jun 2008, 10:49
If you watch the video closely, you will have noted that the traffic is in 2 directions with a solid double line separating the flow. The 2 cars were obviously involved in some kind of race or chase, having overtaken other traffic across the solid double line. The 2nd of the 2 cars actually hit the victim. Both cars disappeared down a side street to the right afterwards.

The total elapsed time from the victim being struck (0:12) to when the police car arrives on scene (1:20) is approx. 1 min and 8 seconds only.

I imagine that a lot of passersby were initially in shock, others might not have even be aware of what had just occured. They may have also been concerned for their own personal safety which made them reluctant to venture further out onto the road towards the victim - those crazy / murderous SOBs in the 2 cars might just come back again (or others). Car drivers immediately following would have been more aware certainly and some indeed slowed down. But unless they were medically-trained, is it better that they stop or to continue on and keep the traffic flowing so that the eventual ambulance will have easier access...? I don't know.

I do think that a lot of people, including the police chief, might have reached the wrong conclusions about the whole incident...

PS. I'd like to catch up with the drivers of those 2 cars though. What I had in mind was a duel on a single lane road somewhere. We'd meet head-on at a combined speed of at least 100mph. I'd be driving an 18-wheeler... :ok:

pineridge
7th Jun 2008, 14:53
Lydia Dustbin said...........

"I too have been in Norway many years. The staunch Catholic communities take their hangovers to church with them, the wives see to that."

I`m sorry, but I find it hard to equate the Norway you describe with the country that I know. There are no Roman Catholic communities in Norway, as far as I am aware. In fact, the only "staunch" communities are probably Muslim, except for some very few, isolated settlements. Norway is a Lutheran country, not very interested in any religion but most definitely not Catholic. Perhaps you should read up on Martin Luther.

tony draper
7th Jun 2008, 14:58
He nailed some worms to a door didn't he?:)

pineridge
7th Jun 2008, 15:07
Tony Draper said......"He nailed some worms to a door didn't he?"

You`re getting confused, Mr.Draper, he had a diet of worms.
Did you know that Liebfraumilch first saw the light of day in the winery of the monastery at Worms?

ORAC
7th Jun 2008, 15:59
You`re getting confused, Mr.Draper, he had a diet of worms. I'm sure there was a papal bull in there somewhere as well...

Lydia Dustbin
7th Jun 2008, 16:07
Pineridge

Do forgive me! Catholicism, Lutheranism, religion, religion, it's all the same to me. As for the interpretation of the word staunch, the communities I visited that were categorised as such had a very strong church going population.
No worms in the diet or on the door Mr D.