PDA

View Full Version : Personal Finance Software - UK

Roland Pulfrew
6th Jun 2008, 14:24
Chaps

I used to run Quicken as my finance software to keep a track on my savings etc. Unfortunately Intuit pulled Quicken off the UK market and an enforced "upgrade" to Vista means that my 2004 copy of Quicken will not run. I note that Microsoft have pulled the rug on Money on the UK market as well. I need current account, savings accounts (including ISAs etc), credit card and share tracking. Can anyone recommend a good piece of software that works with Vista for looking after your personal finances?

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2008, 15:16
I put some effort into researching this a few months ago, and so far as I could find there is nothing at all available which

(1) does personal accounts, including stocks-and-shares portfolios
(2) does small company accounts, including VAT
(3) imports Quicken data files.

Even if you're willing to frop the stocks-and-shares stuff you can't import Quicken data into a current version of Quickbooks!!

So ... if you find something, do let me know. I'm currently surviving with an ever more flaky (crashes, refusals to print etc) Quicken 2000, with more than a decade's data.

Keef
6th Jun 2008, 15:35
I bottled out of Quicken many years ago, and set up a batch of linked Excel files that do the job for me. Not as sophisticated as Quicken etc, but totally within my control.

I can pull off just about any detail I want (different pages in the "summary" workbook). Elegant it ain't, though.

Roland Pulfrew
6th Jun 2008, 15:37
GtW

Quicken 2004?

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jun 2008, 16:04
Eh? What about Quicken 2004?

My research found nothing you could upgrade to from any UK version of Quicken - I was particularly looking for a route from Quicken 2000, as I said (I bought this one because they improved Y2K behaviour), but if there had been an "upgrade to Quicken 2004 first, then you can upgrade to so-and-so" route I'm pretty sure I would have found it.

frostbite
6th Jun 2008, 16:48
Still running Quicken 2 here!

Supplied circa 1990 on 3.5" floppy and works on XP but hiccupped over y2k a bit.

Roland Pulfrew
8th Jun 2008, 20:31
GtW

Eh? What about Quicken 2004?

I have a CD of Quicken 2004 sat in front of me, only it won't run on my new Vista computer. IIRC Intuit sent me a copy of it when they announced they were pulling the plug on UK support, so they sent out a free version of the latest version to registered users of an older version.

amanoffewwords
8th Jun 2008, 22:24
Your only real option is to go down the open source route, such as http://www.gnucash.org/ but there are others - don't know if they are Vista (:yuk:) friendly though:confused:

Mike6567
9th Jun 2008, 16:48
I still use Money 2000 on XP Pro and it continues to work OK with on-line updating of Stocks and Shares and Unit Trusts etc.
I seem to remember I upgraded from Quicken in 2000 so I have stuff from way back.
I have been advised not to use any of the more recent versions of Money if mine is working OK - which it is.
Rather worrying that nothing is available that is compatible with Vista.
Will just have to stick with XP.

9th Jun 2008, 19:02
i run ms money version 14 (think it's 2004) on vista with no problems at all.

tracks loans, credit cards savings and bank accounts in many cases actually downloading the transactions for me at the click of a button.

Takeoff WAT
11th Jun 2008, 20:25
As ASFKAP says, try MS Office Accounting Express...there is a UK version and it's completely free!

I'm a Mac user so love my Quicken 2007, but alas that too is now discontinued.

forget
11th Jun 2008, 21:17
I've used Quicken since 1994, currently Version 3 on three floppies. It's BRILLIANT (for me) and never misses a beat. :ok::ok:

I suppose the floppies could be e-mailed if anyone wants copies.