PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Harmony!

Zoom
6th Jun 2008, 14:16
There I was at 1501hrs today slaving over my new electricity supply quotes (Eon winning, unfortunately) when the most fantastic sound filled the skies. The Lancaster, a Spitfire, another Spitfire or a Hurricane (a bit far away by the time I got outside) and 2 Hawks rumbled more-or-less overhead on a northerly heading from Hinckley at about 1000ft AGL. The throb of the Merlins totally drowned out the whizz of the Adours and the formation was - well - relaxed but beautiful. Any ideas on where they had been or where they were going? I am assuming that it had something to do with some D-Day celebrations somewhere.

Dan D'air
6th Jun 2008, 14:51
Henry Allingham's 112th birthday flypast at Cranwell, perchance??!!

Zoom
6th Jun 2008, 20:13
Ah, very likely. I had forgotten about that. He certainly deserves the honour.

And I have just noticed the thread 'Happy Birthday, Sir!' and now it all makes sense.

flying bizzie
6th Jun 2008, 20:39
Zoom,

Had a similar experience today at RAF Woodvale. We had just landed (police helicopter) and were in the process of refuelling when the BBMF flew right over the airfield.

Certainly made the hairs on the back of me neck stand up!

Fantastic sight. If only Grob Tutors sounded like that!

Cheers

FB

RubiC Cube
26th Jul 2008, 14:40
Thanks boys, 4 perfect flypasts of my home this pm by the BBF Lancaster.

Just discovered it was for the residential home in town, but Mrs RubiC and myself enjoyed our own personal show, pity I only found my cameras in time for the last run!

RubiC