PDA

View Full Version : Flood Control

Whirlybird*
6th Oct 2000, 14:09
I am annoyed! I'm not sure whether to blame my computer, or Capt PPRuNe, or...

For the SECOND time in as many days, I've come into the forums, tried to post my FIRST message for hours and hours and hours, and been told Flood Control is activated and I can't post within 270 seconds of my last post. Now I know we have this thread on Jet Blast about pilots not being able to add up and all that, but in the dim and distant past when I went to school 270 seconds was a few minutes, not overnight!!!!

Any of you wonderful computer experts got any solutions?

Whirly :mad: :mad: :mad:

[This message has been edited by Whirlybird* (edited 06 October 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Whirlybird* (edited 06 October 2000).]

The Unteleported Man
7th Oct 2000, 00:25
Here's a guess: Perhaps you're operating on a system using address translation. This means you're sharing a few 'real' IP addresses with everyone else on your LAN.

Now if one of you co-workers is PPRuNing then your shared address is loggeg as having 'posted' recently.

To check you need to find your local IP address. Type 'ipconfig' on a windows system from the command prompt. Generally most sites set up like this will use the 192.168 range although you might see 172.16 etc.

Another possibility is that the person who dialed up before you (and who's address you've taken over) has just posted to PPRune. Unlikely but with 18000 users you never know.

Springbokkie
11th Oct 2000, 12:14
270 seconds is a little excessive for flood control... perhaps we can persuade them to bring it down to 180 or 210??? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

and as i reply to this: I get: Sorry! We have flood-control activated. You cannot post within 270 seconds of your last post. Please try again after this period of time elapses.

;)

pilot999
11th Oct 2000, 23:17
I get the impression that flood control is to stop you accidentally sending the same post twice, as when you go to edit one of your own messages, you can do it as many times as you want without that irritating message coming up!? :)

Lurk R
12th Oct 2000, 04:10
Actually I seem to recall that flood control was designed to prevent unauthorised hackers using programs which automatically post threads in bulk causing the server to overload and crash.

Airliner Junkie
12th Oct 2000, 20:53
If you try to post a lot of images such as smilies, you will not be able to post. You might want to limit your smilies, or images. That's what happened when I tried to post a bunch of them on another bbs. BTW, the bbs I frequent (www.truck.net/bbs) allows 60 seconds between posting.

Erik

The Unteleported Man
12th Oct 2000, 21:06
There was a thread like this a few days ago (I can't find it now). Danny posted a rather irritated response pointing out:
[list=1]
Editing does not trip flood control.
The primary purpose of flood control is to prevent duplicate postings. He used to have to spend hours deleting duplicate posts in the past.
If you post a duplicate it's a simple matter to delete it yourself. Click http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/edit.gif and tick off the delete box.
Duplicates eat server space.
Substantial contributions take more than 5 minutes.
[/list=a]

If you want to do something about the 270 sec limit then make some suggestions to Infopop (http://www.infopop.com) on how to prevent this.