PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm alert messages

mutt
6th Oct 2000, 00:19
I’m using ZoneAlarm, it keeps advising me that certain ISP addresses have tried to access my PC. Can anyone tell me how I can check who these ISP’s are? So far today I have had:

Thanks.

Mutt http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

niteflite01
6th Oct 2000, 00:27
You could do alot worse than to get a programme called NeoTrace which allows you to trace these IP's easily, as well as trace any possible connectivity problems with certain websites etc.

You should be able to get it from most large Internet Software download sites

I hope this is of some use ;)

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

BoeingBoy
6th Oct 2000, 02:45
I'm also using Zone Alarm, I don't know who it blocks out, but I'm bloody glad that it does!

No complaints.

Speechless Two
6th Oct 2000, 03:34
What I don't understand is why I get a Zone Alarm warning whenever I log on the Novatech site - a computer supply firm in Portsmouth UK. What would they be trying to access? The warning confirms that it is their site trying the access.

Voidhawk
7th Oct 2000, 07:04
You can also open a DOS-promt and type

tracert ip-address

Traces the route between you and the owner.
Can supply a bit of info.

EGGW
8th Oct 2000, 00:04
Try visiting www.whois.org (http://www.whois.org) or downloading that the Whois software. it traces the person/organisation everytime in my experience. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by EGGW (edited 07 October 2000).]

SeldomFixit
8th Oct 2000, 10:46
Most of the "hits" recorded/displayed by ZoneAlarm are harmless. Most sites you visit attempt to set up some form of HTTP connection with each visitor, I guess in an attempt to garner some sort of statistical info they use for Gawd knows what. The nasties are the "netbios name" kind of warning you may see from time to time but,
HEY ???? isn't that wht you installed ZoneAlarm anyway ??? The warning is telling you that the attempt was blocked by ZoneAlarm isn't it ?
Sleep safe soldier, what you DON'T know is what will hurt you.

RossMiles
8th Oct 2000, 12:23
Mutt,
www.neoworx.com (http://www.neoworx.com)
Home of NeoTrace.

Ross
[email protected]

ExSimGuy
8th Oct 2000, 12:27
EGGW,

Tried the link - ZoneAlarm promptly threw up about 3 warnings (208.188.153.111-UDP port 4000), (213.104.76.130-TCP port 1147) and 62.60.29.116-TCP port 1310) - and I couldn't find any download!!

NeoTrace doesn't seem to give a lot of useful info except to tell me where in the world the "ping" came from and the route it took to get to me (or that I took to get back to it!)

------------------
---- "Per Ardua ad Mixas" ----
(Through hardship to the bars)

777AV8R
9th Oct 2000, 08:30
Yes Mutt, I have been using Neotrace for quite some time. The program will take you right back to the offending party. Including the address and telephone numbers in some instances.
There is another great reason to have Neotrace. If your internet connection appears to quit, you can log on to Neotrace and find out where the dead connection is. In some cases the ISP will give us a snow job on what the problem is and won't own up to the fact that their lines are down. This keeps them honest because it will tell you where the problem is on the line. Heartily recommended.
Regards

EGGW
9th Oct 2000, 21:57
I can mail you the Programme if you like, i have it on a floppy. E-mail me and i'll Zip it up for you.

addinfurnightem
11th Oct 2000, 09:37
SELDOMFIXIT - you mentioned that the nasty ones were the ones that say, 'NetBIOSName".
Everytime I log onto IE5, (but not to Netscape or Outlook), I get the message,
"The Firewall has blocked local network access to a subnet broadcast address, (165.21.255.255)(NetBIOSName) from your computer"
I know that 165.21 is Singnet. I am not on a network, it is a stand-alone desk-top.
Any ideas please? (Away tonight, back in 14 days).

mutt
12th Oct 2000, 21:25
Thanks for the offer EGGW, unfortunately i didnt read your message until after i downloaded Hack Tracker from the neoworxs site.

Come on all ye hackers, I'm ready for you....

Mutt