PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Accident in the 1930's

reynoldsno1
5th Jun 2008, 21:06
Anyone know where I might find information on an aircraft that crashed in the River Orwell near Felixstowe on the 22nd July 1930??
I'm in NZ so 'tis difficult to actually travel there....

fauteuil volant
5th Jun 2008, 21:38
Can you be a little more specific? Manufacturer, type, registration or suchlike?

Warmtoast
5th Jun 2008, 23:30
Nothing for that date but a year earlier on 18th July 1929 this was reported in the press.

Two men were injured when a seaplane crashed in the River Orwell, at Felixstowe, yesterday. The accident occurred in sight of hundreds of holiday-makers at Felixstowe. The machine, a Fairey 3D seaplane, was piloted by Flying Officer Roy S. Darbishire, the passenger being Mr. E. L. Bragg, a civilian instrument maker in the employ of the R.A.F. The seaplane had just left the base at Felixstowe shortly after 10 a.m. when the accident occurred. An official of the aerodrome saw the machine suddenly get into a spin at about 200ft., and he immediately gave the alarm. The next moment the machine dived and the nose was embedded in the river bed. Flying Officer Roy S. Darbishire was able to extricate himself, but it was not until further aid had arrived that Mr. Bragg was released. Mr. Bragg, who was severely cut about the legs, was detained at the Felixstowe Cottage Hospital. The pilot was removed to the Military Hospital, Colchester, suffering from a broken leg and shock.

reynoldsno1
8th Jun 2008, 20:47
Thanks for the response guys - I don't have any other information at the moment. My late father apparently rescued an occupant - it may have been the pilot - and was later awarded the Royal Humane Society bronze medal. Stangely, the RHS has no record of this - though the medal is clearly the RHS and has name & date engraved.