PDA

View Full Version : Weak fags

chevvron
5th Jun 2008, 20:25
The wife smokes I don't. She tries to smoke the weakest fags she can get which up to now are Silk Cut 100s with a nicotine content of 0.4mg. Recently the shape of the box changed slightly, and on lighting up one from the new box, she found her throat was getting sore. On looking at the box, we found the nicotine content had increased to 0.5 mg.
Apart from the fact the makers have now made them probably more addictive, does anyone know what this increase in nicotine content does; is it a big increase or insignificant?
Does anyone know a weaker fag so she can switch brands?

Overdrive
5th Jun 2008, 20:57
The amount of 0.5 mg is still half of what is in most regular cigarettes, so it would still be "low". All the mild brands will be around this, the regular around 0.9 -1.2 . The carbon monoxide is reduced by roughly the same factor too.

Before I stopped, I spent two years on softer cigs. Problem I found, I began to smoke more (and still want more) than ever before, in a hunt for the "missing" nicotine. This gives you more smoke, tar and some of the other crap that's in them. I was virtually eating them at the end, and was beginning to cough for the first time ever.

This is not a rare phenomenon, many people smoke more when switching.

SOTV
5th Jun 2008, 21:13
As a long time smoker (32 yrs) I decided with my GP to stop. He gave me the best advice and help ever.

1. Always have a 10 pack in your pocket because you will need one.
2. When you need one take a blast of a nicotine nasal spray up each nostril. This will (believe me) obviate the need for the 10 pack.
3. Repeat the above.
4. When you have a drink you will need a smoke. Light one up and then repeat above. Stub full fag out.
5. Dont bother with chewing gum, patches, inhalators, lozenges, herbal nonsense or white heather. You are an addict and need nicotine. You do not need: Carbon Monoxide, tars, benzines, cyanides or other nasty chemicals.
6. Nicotine in normal amounts is an addictive but relatively harmless drug.
7. I would rather prescribe you the nasal spray for life than have you smoke again.

Top chap.

:ok:

G-CPTN
5th Jun 2008, 21:24
Just wait until the West Atlantic contingent comes online . . .

acmi48
5th Jun 2008, 21:28
the further west-the greater need for fags..thinking SFO here..

gingernut
5th Jun 2008, 21:31
If the sore throat persists, it's worth checkin' out.

The weaker fags tend not to make much difference, the brains "set" to a level of nicotine, and she'll probably take subconscious steps to reach her setting.

(The favourite with silk cut is to cover the holes near the filter, and take bigger and deeper puffs.)

The nicotine alone probably isn't enough to cause the sore throat. Probably, it's something simple, but check it out if it goes on for more han a few weeks.

Peter Fanelli
5th Jun 2008, 22:17
I thought this thread was going to be about something quite different.

CityofFlight
5th Jun 2008, 22:19
Still trying to figure out how gay males and nicotine are correlated...and to think you can carry them around in a 10 pak? :} This should go over very well in SFO.

SOTV
5th Jun 2008, 22:27
Still trying to figure out how gay males and nicotine are correlated...

Lips and a fags end?

apologies, couldn't resist US/UK humour paradox

:}

CityofFlight
5th Jun 2008, 22:34
Oh, don't get me started....it's a slippery slope of twisted digression. :p

brickhistory
6th Jun 2008, 00:09
Ok, to catch up/sum up so far:

Weaker fags make for a sore throat.

Got it.

G-CPTN, was that what you had in mind for the 'West Atlantic contingent'?

FLCH
6th Jun 2008, 00:11
Still trying to figure out how gay males and nicotine are correlated...

What this got to do with gays and an Irishman ??

CityofFlight
6th Jun 2008, 00:22
That sums it up perfectly!

chiglet
6th Jun 2008, 00:27
My "cure"?
Came home from work at around 11pm, asked the [ex] wife for a Ciggie. She said that she hadn't got any. As I walked to the kitchen, [the fags were kept in a drawer] I asked her did she want one [a ciggie]? "No" she said, "I haven't had one since this morning"...."Oh," says I, "I won't bother then"
That was 20 years ago......
I am NOT a "none smoker"....I just haven't had a fag for 20 years....Funnily enough, I still dream about Smoking....:confused:
watp,iktch

WG774
6th Jun 2008, 00:52
Permit me to let you in on a little secret: it makes no difference whether you smoke "low-tar" fags or not. Every smoker has his or her personal "satisfaction level". You may achieve this state from 5 filterless Camel-a-day, or 30 Silk Cut.

The whole "low-tar" cigarette concept is invented by the tobacco manufacturers to pay lip-service to the health-conscious; "lip service" being the operative term.

It's a pointless habit. No upside whatsoever. What the government does not tell you is that, upon giving up, there are numerous seemingly unrelated and often somewhat bizarre potential withdrawal symptoms: nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

If you love your wife, figure out a scheme to get her to stop.

G-CPTN
6th Jun 2008, 01:00
If you love your wife, figure out a scheme to get her to stop.Or at least take-out a hefty life-insurance on her life - that way you will be compensated for the inevitable loss . . .

Dan D'air
6th Jun 2008, 01:03
What this got to do with gays and an Irishman ??

What about Graham Norton?? He's a weak fag. (And he's Irish!!)

G-CPTN..............Harsh & cynical. But very funny! :D

CathayBrat
6th Jun 2008, 01:08
Silk Cut, a breath of fresh air!
wofter smokes, camel man me!!
off to bed now, drink and net dont mix.........:bored:

3 Holer
6th Jun 2008, 01:42
pay lip-service to the health-conscious;

The health conscious are not remotely interested in anything related to smoking. That would be an oxymoron! :E

6th Jun 2008, 02:00
Get her to take up rolling her own. She will need the kit. Golden Virginia, packet of liquorice papers, endless lighter.

Now, the fags produced are strong stuff, but no filter so you only smoke 2/3rds, plus they extinguish themselves if left alone for 10 seconds, plus they don't have the 50 odd chemicals stuffed into packet fags which make them keep alight but also make them obnoxious to the nose.

Because they are not self sustaining = reduction in smoke output = house smells better = you are not smoking while they are smoldering out).

You can't make one in the car, whilst walking, in the dark etc (unless you cheat and pre-roll them) so you smoke less.

They are cheaper than packet fags because you can choose the diameter. and thus the strength.

Chr1st what am I doing, encouraging people to smoke! It's a stupid habit. Wish I didn't.

Regards

BlueDiamond
6th Jun 2008, 02:11
5. Dont bother with chewing gum, patches, inhalators, lozenges, herbal nonsense or white heather. You are an addict and need nicotine. You do not need: Carbon Monoxide, tars, benzines, cyanides or other nasty chemicals.
The items you mention DO deliver nicotine, SOTV. It is the cigarettes that deliver the CO2, tar cyanides etc. The patches/inhalers/chewing gum etc. are a very valuable aid to giving up. And if white heather or herbal nonsense work for someone trying to give up, that is exactly what they should use. They should "bother" with everything available until they find out what works for them.

gingernut
6th Jun 2008, 07:30
She may not wanna quit at the moment,so no amount of good intentioned advice from you or us will make a difference.

When the day comes, help is out there, try http://gosmokefree.nhs.uk/
as a starting point:)

PanPanYourself
6th Jun 2008, 09:51
The UK is supposed to be a gun-free and tolerant society, but every time I go there I hear people say terrible things like "let's go smoke a fag."

hehe, I made a funny :p