PDA

View Full Version : What should I do next?

BeechBaron58
5th Jun 2008, 17:40
Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to this forum, so forgive me for any mistakes I make.

I am really keen on becoming a commercial pilot, but there are a few questions I have.

I am just finishing my GCSE's. Only 4 exams left!

I have chosen my A levels and they are; Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography.

What should I do now or after my A levels? Is it on to pilot school or do i do a degree at university? Someone has told me to do aerospace at the Imperial College. I really am confused.

Any help/advice would be apprecciated.

adsSW
5th Jun 2008, 18:31
Completely your choice.....you have two routes of where you can go.

I will tell you what I did, I left school at 16 with 11 1/2 GCSEs all at A and A*. Started A- Levels and hated it, so.... I dropped out!! Worked in a restaurant full time as a waiter, after 6 months I was supervising and after another 6 months I was a restaurant manager, at 17. At 18 I applied for the police and at 19 I started training.

I have applied for the Etihad scheme, because I am not prepared to pay around £70,000 for training, and then risk not getting a job, and then if I do, get a crap starting salary.

Most of my mates did their A-levels, and are now finishing degrees. They are all in a lot of debt, around £20,000 each. They have little work experience and most of them are now wondering what the hell to do as a career.

So your choices are that you do the best you can at GCSE, do A-levels, then a degree, then you can apply to a flight training school and pay for the training. Remember you will not be paid during the training, so you are looking at not getting a proper full time salary for the next seven years at least, and paying for ATPL training.

Or, you can start working, getting life experience, making money etc etc And then apply when you are ready, with no debt.

It is a difficult choice, and both routes have their pros and cons. The good thing about a degree is that you have something to fall back on, and can apply to a graduate scheme if all else fails. Or, you will have 5 years of work experience to put towards getting another job if piloting doesn't work out.

Tough one, not sure if that helps at all, but there we go.

Ads

BeechBaron58
5th Jun 2008, 18:53
That is of a great help and thank you for replying. I am predicted all A-A* for my gcse's so i think it is best to use them and go for my a levels. Work experience would be a good help, but I think a degree would be better. Although you do argue some very interesting points, which I will discuss with mum and dad later.

My parents have agreed that I can do my a levels and go uni, but how we will pay for flight training I don't know. We are hoping there will be a sponsorship scheme.

So many routes, but which one to take! If anyone else could tell me there route it would be great, as I can learn what would best suit me. A degree may not suit me. Who knows?

point5
5th Jun 2008, 19:27
Become an ATCO - much more fun :ok:

ashmed
8th Jun 2008, 21:31
Hi my friend,
It seems me and you are on a similar boat, im just finishing my GCSE'S - only 4 left and then im going on to study at A-level.
I like you aspire to be a commercial airline pilot.
To make the first step i have chosen to start my PPL at Rochester airport to get an insight on what flying is like - whether it is for me or not and im lovin it. I am going to continue my PPL throughout 6th form and then start applying to different training centres.
CTC Wings from what iv seen looks preety good, it requires GCSEs and A-levels and from what iv seen on other posts it look preety good if you've got some flying experience. I would advise you look into this course if you havent already done so.
My advice to you would be do a bit of flying at your local airport and make sure its right for you.
Good Luck Ash.:ok: