PDA

View Full Version : I aint openin that!!

Sensible
28th Sep 2001, 04:50
Just received an e-mail from "HIM" subject "!"#$" the whole size is 133KB and it has an attachment 98.5KB named "ICWCONN2.EXE"
Can anyone assure me that it's NOT a virus? I'm running McAfee and no objections have been raised so far!!

The odd thing is that I received it via an e-mail address which used to be my PPRuNe contact before I started to use the PPRuNe pilot mail so if I have received a virus, everyone else be careful!

Icarus
28th Sep 2001, 07:16
Internet Connection Wizard exe file for IE 5.x
I suggest you wouldn't need that file (other than as installed by IE) and do not understand why anyone would send it as an attachment.
Better off deleting it.

It's original properties are:

Icwconn2.exe/62752kb/Dated 11/10/99/Version

Sensible
28th Sep 2001, 11:23
Thanks Icarus, your post gave me the clue that it was the W32magistr virus which it is. Now deleted!! Thanks.

ExSimGuy
29th Sep 2001, 22:28
Basic rule .. .

Don't open/run any file that is sent to you "unsolicited" - even from friends.

If I get a "Hey, just check this out (blah-blah.exe)" email, I immediately email the sender (if someone I know) and ask if he intended to send it to me and if he's virus checked it. Usually I get a response "sorry mate - didn't send it but it looks like I have a virus on my machine" (he shouldn't have opened/run it!!!)

Always check, and double-check, before opening/running attachments

(My mate got an "exe" the other day with the flight paths of the 4 Sept 11th aircraft on a graphic display - haven't checked yet, but he has been told it's a virus!)

G-BPEC
30th Sep 2001, 11:49
Sensible,

I never open anything I'm not 200% sure about, its the best way. Also, if it isn't a virus its probably one of those chain letters that promise hell and damnation if you dont send the ba$tard thing to 500 other people, which you dont want anyway ;)

'EC

meloz
2nd Oct 2001, 19:05
if it related to someones dreams about a particular aircraft, I got the same mail. deleted it straight away as it was very suspect

v1rotate
7th Oct 2001, 22:31
I never open any .EXE file, doesn't matter who it's from.

I would suggest searching on the web either through Google for the file and then having a look at what it is.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/laptop.gif