PDA

View Full Version : Loading(or not loading)pages

the wizard of auz
26th Dec 2000, 19:13
Alrighty all you tech heads, this ones for you.
I am having trouble with my pages not loading completly, they load to about 99% as fast as normal, but won't load the last bit.(sometimes it does but it takes 5 mins)
I have tried deleting cookies, made room in my temp files and even went as far as reloading my browser, all to no effect.
this has been like this for about a week now and its starting to drive me nuts.
I am using the enhanced version of MS Internet explorer 5.0. it has worked perfectly for the last 12 mnths up until last week.
cmon guys, I need help.
P.S. If you got any Ideas on this problem drop me an email as they are easier to retrieve at the moment...(this took narly an hour to do)

sprocket
28th Dec 2000, 08:42
Could it be that snowman background??.. As I'm having similar probs at the mo'.

My cursor won't stop blinking and the CPU indicator is working overtime. It is not happening on other sites

------------------
sprocket: .. No standards? Nooo problems!

BurningKeroNow
28th Dec 2000, 08:45
Is it just problems with the Pprune site or with all sites. It could just be a bottlneck with your ISP or just a busy time on the internet. Remember that although they are fairly accurate, the progress bar at the bottom of the browser screen is not an exact thing. It might race to 90% then sit there but in reality it might be less than that and it is just a slow process to load the page, not just the last bit.

BKN.

BOAC
31st Dec 2000, 01:17
Me too. I blame it all on 'Danny and the Snowmen'. They are rather cute, though!
Clicking on 'refresh' often produces a quick reload.

PPRuNe Towers
31st Dec 2000, 11:31
It would help a lot if you could let us know if there are particular percentages showing on the refresh bar when the loading stalls - e.g. 11%.

Sadly it takes a while to convice Danny there is ever a generic problem for PC users. He wouldn't allow a PC through his portals to save his life. The site runs perfectly on his Mac.

I'm having exactly the same problems as you report and now instinctively lash out for the refresh button. I have to assume most of the time it's my heavily abused system - 7 windows open at once - causing problems such as this so I really do appreciate your reports.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

sprocket
31st Dec 2000, 12:04
OK , My CPU usage indicator thats on my Atomic clock, normally/used to show about 10 to 30 percent usage after a page had opened.
When the advertising on the pages became more animated the indicator crept up to 40 percent.
Since the dreaded snowmen appeared my indicator shows 60 to 80 percent usage. With a notable slow down on page loading.

Does that help clarify my problem?

My computer aint new or powerful, it has a 6 x 86 Processor with Win 98se and is sensitive to extra workload

------------------

the wizard of auz
31st Dec 2000, 14:44
Alrighty guys I fixed it.
it seems that if you load IE5.5 from the msn web site it sorts itself out....either that or the problem is sorted else where at the same time.
it wasn't just on this site but on all the others I use as well.

sprocket
1st Jan 2001, 02:09
Further to my previous post ... I went to my Internet Options, Advanced tab, and unticked the 'Play animations box'.
This froze all the moving snowmen and blinking adverts, and my CPU indicator now shows about 10 percent usage max. Much quicker on page loading. Yeehaaa!!

I thought this was the very reason Pprune moderaters restricted animations from being posted from time to time.

------------------

BOAC
1st Jan 2001, 21:06
Sprocket, you are a genius! That's cured it. (Shame about the snowmen, though.........)

Ausatco
3rd Jan 2001, 07:30
Towers, I am using IE5.5 on a Wintel machine (PII 233 (yuk!) and Win98SE). Am having the same probs that others report, and only since the snowmen appeared in the background:-

- pages slow to load
- pages not loading completely and finishing with a little bit of HTML. This can be fixed with CTRL Refresh.
- Pointer flashing all the time.
- CPU running at 50% plus all the time. Everything else slow, as you'd expect with a busy CPU.

Disabling "Play Animations" in Tools|Internet Options|Advanced fixes everything.

Cheers

AA

Ausatco
4th Jan 2001, 16:51
No snowmen, no probs.

But I did appreciate the festive effort.

Thanks Towers. Best for 2001.

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 04 January 2001).]

Oswald
5th Jan 2001, 13:04
I use a Mac, and find this site very slow to load when using PPP. If I use FreePPP this site will not load at all ( beyond the top of the page), although other sites load without any problems.
Any ideas ?

PPRuNe Towers
5th Jan 2001, 14:36
Thanks Ausatco, appreciated!

So general best tip, as we've known all along, is bin animations. One day when we're all broadband no problems but we see the results all too well as we monitor our server.

Sorry about the Mac problems Oswald - if you click on the 'contact us' caption at the bottom of every page you can write directly to Danny for expert advice. He uses ISDN through several ISP's and enjoys living on the hairy edge of the performance envelope.

Regarding general problems of this sort I'm very pleased to report that we've persuaded a regular and very keen PPL PPruNer who's here everyday to assist CrashDive on this forum.

We'll make a formal introduction in a few days but suffice to say he's a full time tech support boss for a busy UK ISP. A very pleasing addition to the PPruNe team indeed.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

ExSimGuy
9th Jan 2001, 10:42
Oswald and Danny !!!

So the rumour's not true, we already know of two Mac Uers ;)

(and I met Danny at the GatBash, and he seemed perfectly normal :)

I thought the snowmen were cute too - but they did slow things down when I used my P133 laptop with 24Mb of Ram!

------------------
What Goes Around . . . . .
. . often makes a better landing

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 09 January 2001).]