PDA

View Full Version : Any important advice for future?

buffman101
5th Jun 2008, 12:36
Hey Guys,

I just joined this forum which my cousin showed me today because I mentioned that I wanted to sign up for the Cathay Cadets programme. I'm 17, taking IB Diploma at an ESF School but I don't take physics. Does anyone have any tips or advice that could help me prepare for my application?

Is it hard to get shortlisted for he interviews? If so, what could I do to guarentee my chances of getting to the interview stage?

Also, I'm 1.9m when the requirement is 1.6m and am mixed Australian/Chinese, would this be an advantage among the rest? I can also speak fluent English, Cantonese and some Mandarin.

Please leave ANY feedback that could help me prepare for the future! Thanks!!! :\

foilhead
5th Jun 2008, 22:24
It's not hard at all to be invited to at least the first interview stage. I think they just take anybody in who shows on the application that they at least know some English (there are two short essay questions, 250 words each).

Since you aren't taking physics, maybe you might want to show them that you're committed to learning this sort of stuff despite not doing it in school. Read up on aerodynamics and the principles of flight – you'll find a lot about this stuff in the first few chapters of any introductory PPL textbook. (The FAA's own is a good start and is available free on-line (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/))

There's someone here who applied at 17, got accepted when he turned 18, and is now training in Adelaide. However, I don't remember exactly who that is. Search around for his posts.