PDA

View Full Version : W98 Programme Files menu

BOAC
25th Nov 2001, 02:13
Anyone know how to get the 'drop-down' menu for 'Start'/'Programs' to cascade? Mine is just one vertical list. I'm sure my W95 menu cascaded once.

Ausatco
25th Nov 2001, 04:08
Me too. I'd be interested in an answer if there is one.

AA

Mac the Knife
25th Nov 2001, 11:54
Right-click Start and Open it, goto Programs and you'll see all your Programs stuff. Make some new Folders/Directories (call 'em whatever you fancy) to hold stuff. Move items from the root Programs folder to these subdirectories as you please (they're just links to the real thing). Now you have a cascading Programs folder.

Presume that's what you meant?

Binoculars
25th Nov 2001, 12:51
I don't think so, Mac. I think they are referring to the way you have to scroll the Programs menu in W98 when there are more items than can fit on the page. W95 used to start a new menu from the top to accommodate the extra programs. It was one of the things I missed about W95 too, but I've never heard of any fix being available for it. Put me on the list of those who are interested.

tony draper
25th Nov 2001, 16:39
Had similar problem,now I tend to alter the path on stuff I install, bypass the program files folder, install it in its own folder just on the c drive and stick a shortcut on the desktop.
Seems to be more stable and l loads stuff up faster, desktop can get pretty crowded though.
Or has Draper got the wrong end of the stick again. ;)

OzmateBugsmasher
25th Nov 2001, 16:59
have a look here (http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/tune-111.shtml).

Cascading menus on the win98 start menu.

Binoculars
25th Nov 2001, 17:19
Whale Oil Beef Hooked! IT WORKS!!!

Great work, BugSmasher, thanks!

Binoculars
25th Nov 2001, 17:57
Umm, next question; How do we do the same thing to Favorites in IE?

Ausatco
26th Nov 2001, 03:11
Thanks, OMBS, works a treat.

Trouble is, I have so much stuff loaded that it makes a column off the screen to the right that I cannot access. Back to the scrolling column for me :rolleyes:

AA

BOAC
27th Nov 2001, 16:44
Ozmate....many thanks for that.
You know, I NEVER cease to be amazed at the knowledge latent in PPrune and the speed with which these sort of Qs get answered.

sprocket
15th Dec 2001, 16:16
Baaack to the top ...
Binoculars : you said,

Umm, next question; How do we do the same thing to Favorites in IE?

Well in IE 6 you can do exactly the same thing!
Click on Favourites/Organize Folders. Then select, Create Folders eg. Aviation, News, Search, Weather, Work, Smut, Humour etc. :D

Then use the ‘Move To Folder’ button (still in Organize Favorites) to put your favourite links in the appropriate folder.

The list does cascade automatically and it beats the endless list that goes off the bottom of the screen.
Hope this helps.

Binoculars
16th Dec 2001, 08:54
Sprocket old bean, all my favourites have been sorted into folders for years, but those folders certainly don't cascade on my system. I still have about ten folders off the bottom.

sprocket
16th Dec 2001, 13:08
Binoculars:
I thought the solution seemed too simple. My favourites dont extend past the screen bottom .... yet!