PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Spain?

AICUS
5th Jun 2008, 09:26
Hi All,

Any gen on Flying in Spain for non native speakers.

Currently hold down a A320 job with about 3000 hours. Have flown RJ before and looking for a move down south.

Am learning the lingo but any info on current bases / airlines or potential bases within the next 12 months would be much appreciated, especially with the disadvantage of not being fluent!

Regards

AICUS

Iver
5th Jun 2008, 14:18
Don't Easyjet have pilot bases in Spain? If not, perhaps consider jump to Ryanair becuase it have bases in Spain. Not sure if those are senior bases or not.

fantom
5th Jun 2008, 15:53
According to the (many) Spanish pilots I have met, the place is awash with unemployed locals. If you're not native and don't even speak the language, I'd estimate your chances as four-fifths of the cube of the square root of ####-all.

Good luck.

Cloud Bunny
5th Jun 2008, 21:00
Ryanair bases in Spain (English speaking):
Girona (Barcelona-ish)
Reus (Barcelona-ish)
Madrid
Valencia
Alicante

And those that are rumoured:
Malaga
Murcia

Hard Rock
5th Jun 2008, 22:24
AICUS, what about a commuting contract with one of the contracting companies? I'm based in AMS & I know a number of pilots who commute regularly from all over Europe.

It gives you the option of living where you like & you take all of your days off together in one block. Just a thought if you can't manage to find a local operator to work for.

AICUS
8th Jun 2008, 07:33
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know of one or two who are english speakers working for Vueling and Click
and was hoping maybe one or two of those might have an insight.

Definitely not ruling out the Ryanair option, but it's a little further down the list than some other operators!

GSMini
8th Jun 2008, 18:24
Don´t even think about Spain to make your next move!

And specially into VLG and Click..basically, they´re in a merging process, and nobody knows what will happen when they finally merge. But definitely no recruiting...even more, VLG fired 20 pilots a couple of months ago.

And for the rest of the companies...situation is even worse.

So..not sunny Spain anymore..at least in the aeronautical panorama!:}

RGDS

JJflyer
8th Jun 2008, 19:33
Most of the unemployed Locals in Spain are low time pilots, pilots with only GA aircraft and instructing background or pilots with limited experience in larger aircraft. There is still a market in Spain, as well as elsewhere for an experienced Jet Captain or and F/O.

seasexsun
8th Jun 2008, 19:39
I think you will have to speak basic spanish at minimum if you want to join vueling in the future. ( vueling and click will merge into vueling).

if you want to live in spain you can try netjet with a base in madrid, malaga or barcelona.
try also denimair.

GSMini
9th Jun 2008, 06:21
Hi!

Well, I consider myself an "almost" experienced F/O with instructing background (More than 1100tt being a flight Instructor), and currently flying the 320 with almost 500 on type (and counting! :} ) and to be honest..there are no oportunities in Spain now.

Apart from VLG and click, the rest of the companies are in very bad shape. Just take a look at what´s happening with Spanair, LTE, Air Nostrum (Pilots almost went on strike, and not bringing more CRJ´s), Air Europa (Hired about half a year ago, so, recruitment is stopped, and almost on strike due to management tried to create a low cost within Globalia group, which basically would have stopped AEA´s growth) Girjet (Close to stop, if not already stopped operations).
Iberia seems the only one that´s going not too bad, but they will wait one more year to recruit again, due to high oil prices.

And yes..you need to talk Spanish to work in Spain, except in VLG, but with the merger..maybe they´ll ask new pilots for a minimum level of spanish. To be honest, I don´t know.

Let´s wait one year and see what happens!

RGDS:}

P.S. Seasexsun..make your nickname "Seasexsunbeer" , and you´ll be my best friend!!:}

seasexsun
9th Jun 2008, 11:14
I have found this news :sad:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=330124

GSmini, the beer gives me gastric problem :eek:

GSMini
9th Jun 2008, 14:02
Told you!

And I even didn´t know about Air Comet issues :ugh:

Hope it´s just a matter of time that things start to go up again.

And..Seasexsunrum?? Yeah, I won´t mind that one at all:}