PDA

View Full Version : ADSL

What_does_this_button_do?
27th Sep 2001, 18:53
A couple of people have e-mailed me asking about ADSL and what's involved including can they get it. So for you I've done this:

What are the tests they carry out?

BT Ignite will carry out tests on:

Line Length (They need to know how far you are from the exchange), you must be within 3.5km to pass for ADSL, and within 5.5km for the RADSL install. NB: This is related to the length of the line rather than the physical distance from the exchange.

Noise (They need to ensure your line has suitable quality for ADSL), You need noise of no more than 41db to pass this (55dB for RADSL limits).

Capacitance (Again, this is to establish line quality), to pass, this should be below 160nf.

Whoosh Test - The final test. The engineer tests again for quality on the line, this should be 45db or less (59dB for RADSL limits).
You can run one of these tests yourself:

If you're in the UK then you can dial 17070, select option 3,1 and 2. The system will then check the length of your line and call you back with the result.

You can also check www.bt.com/adsl (http://www.bt.com/adsl) to see if you're able to get it.

Buttons

PPRuNe Towers
28th Sep 2001, 10:16
Top info mate,

My line length came back as 830 metres so my knockback on the BT site is due to exchange equipment or perhaps not? Time to talk to some humans about it. Thanks.

Rob

Evo7
28th Sep 2001, 16:49
Bl**dy hell, bit expensive isn't it??

£479.88 a year, plus £74.99 connection fee!! Whatever happened to affordable broadband?

Out of interest

(a) can you use Linux - the web pages only seem to mention Win9x/NT

(b) can you telnet/ssh/ftp to your machine from elsewhere

(c) are there bandwidth usage restrictions, or can you saturate your connection

(Wanders off muttering about BT)

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: Evo7 ]

What_does_this_button_do?
29th Sep 2001, 00:07
ADSL comparison table:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps.asp?action=index

Buttons