PDA

View Full Version : Singaporean w/o rights to work and live in Australia

sq906
5th Jun 2008, 09:11
Hi Ladies and gentleman,

Im a Singaporean and was just wondering if there is any chance for someone like me to land a first flying job in Australia.I currently have a CASA CPL/IR with a TT of 300hrs. I know that a foreigner has to have the rights to live and work in Australia before seeking employment. I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here. Thanks all and will be looking forward to your reply.

Cheers and Godspeed

Islander Jock
5th Jun 2008, 09:20
sq906,
If you had an instructor rating I'm sure SQ flying college at Jandakot would snap you up quick smart. Why not give them a call?

Enema Bandit's Dad
5th Jun 2008, 11:20
Or apply to Jetstar.......:bored:

P.O.M
5th Jun 2008, 13:18
You wouldnt be an Ex SQ cadet now would you, maybe a product of the SFC Baron Bypass Program??:hmm:

sq906
6th Jun 2008, 01:18
You wouldnt be an Ex SQ cadet now would you, maybe a product of the SFC Baron Bypass Program

nah, didnt get into sq, didnt make through the final interview.

i tried applying for jetstar but to no avail.

unfortunately i do not have an FI rating. its in the pipeline though. Thanks for the replies guys. never say never aye!!

Torres
6th Jun 2008, 01:57
If you could find a sponsor in rural Australia, as "Aircraft Pilot" has an ASCO Code of 254111 could could probably qualify for a 457 Visa.

Whether you could find a sponsor with only 300 hours total time, would be highly unlikely, especially as your sponsor/employer must pay you the Immigration Minimum Salary Level of $41,850, plus other costs peculiar to the 457 Visa program.

I suggest you take the Flight Instructor route as possibly your only practical way to remain flying in Australia.

sq906
6th Jun 2008, 13:49
The FI rating was what I was aiming at, but then again being a foreigner, theres the visa problem again. Spoke to the immigration department at my flying school and they said they do not sponsor visas for foreign FIs unless the fella is worth it. ie grade 2 and above. I would very much like to work downunder...cause Australia is an awesome and beautiful place to live in..the people are sooo friendly..oh well.. ill just try askin around..not givin it any hopes though..but hey, no harm trying rite..thanks anyway people

ReverseFlight
6th Jun 2008, 14:41
I've noticed that recent instructor recruitment adverts by Sing Flying College require Aus residency, so they're probably out of the running. Have you tried China Southern WA ? If you have no particular preference for your location, then there are opportunities throughout the country.

If you don't fit into any of the vocational or investment immigration categories, there is a longer way to get around your problem. Enrol at a CRICOS approved school and as soon as you get your G3 FI rating, continue to work part-time as a G3 until you hopefully attain G2 before your visa runs out. Then go back to talk to your present flying school as a G2 FI.

It really depends on what lengths you are prepared to go to in order to realise your dreams.

P.O.M
7th Jun 2008, 01:04
China Southern, like SFC, require Aus residency unless your a Kiwi...

The irony, employing pilots from a country who emblem is a bird that cant fly... :}

sq906
7th Jun 2008, 01:21
reverse flight, thats a good way to tackle my predicament...im currently in singapore and trying to safe as much funds (again:}) before I head downunder.. trying to contact as many flying schools in aussie regarding do they accept a part time g3FI. ill be able to work only 20hrs per week as per the student working visa regulation...all help has been deeply appreciated..keep'em coming guys!! ooooroooo!!!!

ReverseFlight
7th Jun 2008, 09:06
sq906, with your IR you're in a slightly better position to find a G3 FI job altho your G3 work will probably be all VFR. However with the instructor shortage, there should be plenty schools who need extra hands on board, if you're prepared to fill in the weekend shift and so on.

Note that FI courses at CRICOS schools vary greatly in duration - anything from about 16 to 40 weeks - so go for the ones with the longest endurance.

cougar77
7th Jun 2008, 09:20
Have you tried STATA?

http://www.stata.com.sg/aboutus.htm

VH-XXX
7th Jun 2008, 09:59
Your chances of getting a job are FAR better than this guy!

http://users.netconnect.com.au/~njah1/singapore.jpg

Rawrawhammer
7th Jun 2008, 10:15
"Note that FI courses at CRICOS schools vary greatly in duration - anything from about 16 to 40 weeks - so go for the ones with the longest endurance."

???????
As far as I'm aware, an FI course takes anything from 10weeks to 16weeks.
explain?

RVAC did theirs in 10weeks when I was there.

TBM-Legend
7th Jun 2008, 10:27
Ring REX, it's a Singaporean company....:rolleyes:

ReverseFlight
7th Jun 2008, 13:22
Rawrawhammer, the implicit reference is not to the course but the student visa which is what sq906 really needs. Go figure.

sq906
8th Jun 2008, 08:54
:}stata.. called them up, was told they not conducting any FI courses as of this moment, they just started a while back. Here's what I was thinking, sign up for a course that is under the demand list, listed on immi.gov.au, but then, that wont leave me time to attend the FI course, which i presume is full time. i was thinking of heading down to perth as my auntie and brother is over there, i could save heaps on accomodation and stuff. any paticular schools in jandakot you guys could recommend?

THanks for the humour.... batman bin suparman!!! u gotta kidding me!!! is that real or made up?!?!.. haha good one mate!

once again thanks heaps for all your help and advises...will keep updating you friendly aussies of my plans.. aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi!!!

thornycactus
19th Jun 2008, 07:18
stata.. called them up, was told they not conducting any FI courses as of this moment, they just started a while back. Here's what I was thinking, sign up for a course that is under the demand list, listed on immi.gov.au, but then, that wont leave me time to attend the FI course, which i presume is full time. i was thinking of heading down to perth as my auntie and brother is over there, i could save heaps on accomodation and stuff. any paticular schools in jandakot you guys could recommend?
STATA again! You must have spoken to Lynn Choo.

You are a ready made CASA licenced holder, yet STATA still can't accept you out of exceptional case! What's wrong with that bloody STATA? :ouch:

What STATA did was, they absorbed those 'zero' flying-hour newbies (pardon me if I am wrong) and train them so hard to get full licenced plus F.I. rating holder! STATA really stubborn and spent way too much money on this training.

They are Singaporeans who are licenced holders and ambitious to become F.I. Just a licence conversion plus a standard CASA F.I. training and THAT'S ALL ONLY. Viola...one stone kill many birds! Save LOTS of money and save so-much time.

If I were Mr. Peh, I won't hesitate and will "suck" you right away to train as F.I. and to work for STATA. Especially, you are CASA licence holder somemore! Save money and energy rather than what STATA is now stupidly "flushing out" money uselessly. Inefficiency and Insane! :mad:

I think STATA must seriously review their recruitment intake for F.I. trainees! :ugh:

ROH111
19th Jun 2008, 15:19
Quote: " SQ906 aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi!!! "

wtf?

sq906
4th Aug 2008, 15:46
Well, guys, thanks for your insight/comments and advices, really appreciated it. Anyway, I met up with the VP, and apparently I have to attain the FI rating privately with one of the flying schools in Oz which is recognised by stata.Get the rating and join Stata as a grade 3 FI. more money again. :ugh:

Boy oh boy..what do i do what do i do...

neville_nobody
5th Aug 2008, 00:40
Why don't you just try and get a job in Asia somewhere then migrate to Australia? I think you're crazy to try and do GA over here when you can start in airlines in Asia with your experience?

sq906
6th Aug 2008, 04:23
well, ive been trying to get into the airlines in asia for quite awhile now, but with 300hrs, I don't think I stand a fair chance. UNLESS..as is always the case, you know 'somebody'. In Singapore, its hard. Tried sq,tiger,jetstar. Kaputz..all told me to get my hours up. Regarding other parts of asia, Msia's out due to their new ruling. Rest of Asia...saving up money to make my way there and knock on their doors..other than that..will always keep on trying..cheers

7e7100
7th Aug 2008, 10:52
SQ906

Give Singapore Flying College a call. They are seriously short of staff and I heard they're looking O/S for instructors.

moneytalk001
7th Aug 2008, 12:28
Sq906

Try some of the flying school in Malaysia do your Inst Rating there....from what i heard they are crying for instructors...

School like MFA, Langkawi, KotaBharu...

Good luck:ok:

sq906
7th Aug 2008, 15:06
Hi there,

Instructing in Malaysia, 2 schools has offered me a place in their AFI course and subsequently employment as an AFI upon successful completion. However Ive been waiting for the DCA approval for a month now. Been calling them up regarding the matter and they keep saying its still processing. THanks for the SFC heads up. Ill give them a ring tomorrow and when I find out more, Ill keep you guys updated. Cheers

cruisercruiser
8th Dec 2008, 07:22
Hi Bro,

Any updates from the malaysian schools you contacted? Have you taken up their AFI offer?

Cheers!

VH-BCY
8th Dec 2008, 08:28
SQ906, I had an Italian friend in a similar situation with less hours and no instrument rating who hired my C172 and C210 to build some cheap command hours and ended up with his first job flying a C210 and soon to be C208(if not already). He was very determined and now is reaping the rewards. The employer ended up sponsoring him. PM me for some contact details if you like. Don't give up, there are opportunities out there if you are willing to travel and take a chance. :ok: