PDA

View Full Version : 6.3% payrise

atmd_cad
5th Jun 2008, 03:24
How many ATCOs are really satisfied with this pay rise? The CSB determines how much we deserve to get by using something called pay trend indicator which compares our salary with the private sektor counterparts. Ok, then who's our counterparts? Lawyers? Doctors? Real Estate agents? We're in a unique profession which doesn't exist in private sektors (at least in hkg).

The closest match maybe the pilots, so how are we going to compare our job with flying the big iron? The airplane is a piece of sophisicated equipment that requires someone with a lot of experience to handle, and that "someone" is responsible for the few hundred souls on board, staying at the outports away from the family and more importantly, could kill him/herself when making a mistake. Then what about us controllers? Yes, our radar is no where near the sophisication of an aircraft, and we can go home every day, and under most circumstances, won't get ourselves killed (except the Ueberlingen incident), but we are responsible for much much more lives in the skies, we could handle in excess of 150 planes in a whole shift, i.e. 150x of the responsibility. No one can really draw a fair conclusion after this sort of comparison, but we definitely deserve much more than this mere 6.3% increase. After these years of pay cuts and rises, if my calculation is correct, it's only a net increase of 5% from 1997, and how much more traffic we have handled since that time?! AA should give us a profit share, we're the ones who do the hard work after all.

kluge
5th Jun 2008, 03:31
Some private sector companies paid 2-3% this year - less than inflation.

You're lucky - you could buy more Vegemite with that.

atmd_cad
5th Jun 2008, 04:10
True ... but many of the public sektor workers get profit shares, 14+ months salary, etc and we don't.

kluge
5th Jun 2008, 05:06
Re profit shares: past peformance is no guide to future performance.

And not everyone in private sector gets profit shares or 14th month.

In the current climate IMO 6.3% is a good wicket.

ClearedIGS
5th Jun 2008, 06:13
Yes, ATC is getting a 6.3% at the more senior levels, but what everyone is losing sight of is that this latest pay rise is only just bringing us back to the pay levels we had when we moved to this airport 10 years ago. Don't forget that the Hong Kong Government took away over 9% in 3 reductions in salary over a 2 year period up to 2002. Also those on accommodation allowance are on over 30% less than the received back in 1998.

bekolblockage
5th Jun 2008, 08:06
Nitpicking, but over 11% in fact IGS.

4.25%, 3% & 3% compounded.

throw a dyce
5th Jun 2008, 08:29
Meanwhile in the real world,pay has gone up in that time.In NATS we have BUPA and company shares and about 35% increase since 2001.Just a comparison.:cool:

atmd_cad
5th Jun 2008, 09:11
Actually, I forgot the first 4.25% cut, and after recalculation, (1-4.25%)*(1-3%)*(1-3%)*(1+4.96%)*(1+6.3%) will give you 1.005, i.e. net 0.5% increase of the 97 level.

kluge,
We are now only getting back what we had in 97, but I believe those working in cx/ka have a very different (better) situation.

kluge
5th Jun 2008, 09:48
Point taken.

sunmoon
5th Jun 2008, 10:37
I belive that senior controller should have Salary as a a Captain.

LapSap
5th Jun 2008, 16:58
I belive that senior controller should have Salary as a a Captain.

Well, lets not get too greedy, but 85% of the controllers would be better off on just their housing allowance.

meinhk
5th Jun 2008, 23:55
Throw......
You call Aberdeen the real world???? Give me a break. Even our old friend up the road from you in Brora is sick of the cold, wet, miserable weather and is selling up and moving to THE REAL WORLD- QUEENSLAND.And re your pay, you failed to mention the tax you pay.

throw a dyce
6th Jun 2008, 08:40
Meinhk,
Our pay has increased by about 60% since 1998 in ''The Real world''.:E (Minus tax of course)
As for crappy weather then not even this place can match the joys of Tung Chung on black rain day.:D
I though that tax was high in ''Real World" OZ,as well as pay being lower.:confused::hmm:
As for slagging ABZ.Well it does 123000 movement per annum.That concentrated into 16 hours.2 controllers in the tower,2 on radar at most.All movements have to be integrated on the main runway.
HK well about twice as busy,but over 24hours.2 runways available for about 16 hours.About 10 controllers on the airport side.Well go and figure there's not a lot in it.As usual you ain't got your facts straight.:8

AcarsII
6th Jun 2008, 18:14
Could anyone confirm that all pilots on all pay scales will get a 6.3 % pay rise / Inflation correction?

Thanks
Cheers,

Acars

Bedder believeit
6th Jun 2008, 21:31
Yes, Those that are employed by the Hong Kong GFS (Government Flying Service) and those that are employed within the Flight Standards Division of the Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department......others "Nyet".