PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to self study ATPL Flight Planning and Aircraft Systems?

mingalababya
5th Jun 2008, 01:23
I've managed to get through 5 ATPL subjects through self study, but I heard Flight Planning and Aircraft Systems and Aerodynamics are the hardest to pass so, I'm considering of enrolling into a ground school for these subjects. However, getting time off work to do it is going to be a problem.

So how hard is it to do these subjects through self study? And how much time did you need to do it, say if you studied 2-3 hours a day? I have the AFT distance learning notes, which have got me through all the previous exams without too much drama.

Monopole
5th Jun 2008, 01:30
Systems would probably take the most discipline due to it being a rather long subject with nothing but reading. Come the exam and you either know it or you dont, unlike perf, nav, plan ect where you work the answer out.

Direct_to
5th Jun 2008, 02:30
As Monopole said Systems is nothing but a lot of reading, so it can be self studied easily. You just have to be extremely diciplined since there is a lot of material to cover. AFT notes are spot on for this subject :ok:

Flight Planning I found tougher and it is a lot of help having someone show you all the the 'little things' you may miss when self-studying the subject. And in Flight Planning missing a little thing can cost you 5 marks so you really need to know your stuff. I didn't use AFT for this exam, but i'm sure they'd be great if you had them and self-study is possible if you work hard enough. But if you can get help on this one i'd recommend it!

Goodluck :ok:

maxgrad
5th Jun 2008, 03:15
Depends on the person and where they are at. (excuse the grandma)
I self studied all and got through, did alot of the study within hollidays but rest in between work and life.

Only you set your boundries.

airman1
5th Jun 2008, 04:38
It can be done but systems is by far the hardest, well i found it to be pretty tricky anyway. I set aside just over 2 months of study to sit all the exams but had three straight weeks of just systems. Glad it's all over now ……. I remember i use to stick notes in the shower and the kitchen to help jog the memory of the subject matter i was having trouble with. :cool:

Good luck with it:ok:

rep
5th Jun 2008, 07:30
unless you are extremley disciplined, your insane!

Unhinged
5th Jun 2008, 09:43
How hard is it to self study ATPL Flight Planning and Aircraft Systems? I've managed to get through 5 ATPL subjects through self study, but I heard Flight Planning and Aircraft Systems and Aerodynamics are the hardest to pass

If you've passed the other five with AFT's distance learning notes and self-study, then you can certainly do these two.

Assuming we're talking about aeroplanes, these are the hardest exams, but for different reasons. Passing the Systems & Aerodynamics exam is just a case of being able to remember loads of facts across a wide range of barely-related topics. Flight Planning is more about doing reasonably complex calculations correctly, in limited time.

The best way of studying is different for everyone, but I passed all the ATPLs late last year using AFT's distance learning notes, and used the same method for each of them: Read the notes thoroughly and do the quizzes and examples without skipping anything at all, in the sequence that Nathan has them. Then, in the last few days before the exam, do all of the practice exams, and finish up the day before the real exam. That gets your brain thoroughly into exam mode ready for the big day.

The other important thing I did with Flight Planning was to talk with Nathan. After I struggled with the first practice exam he gave me some very valuable tips on how to approach the exam. It worked.

Go for it - Good luck !!

ReverseFlight
5th Jun 2008, 10:57
Greetings, Mingalababya. I have fond memories of the Irrawaddy too.

That aside, I self-studied and passed both Systems and AFPA at the first sitting in the last couple of months and so I would like to share my experiences with you.

As you have the manuals and been self-studying from them, you already have the discipline. You will require more time to study for AGK and to let things "sink in" and digest, since it is a vast but interesting subject (IMHO the most interesting of all the Aeroplane ATPLs). A good tip for the exam is to search as many sample questions as you can find on the internet on this topic including type specific Q&As. You will be rewarded in both the exam and later on in your career.

There are a lot of calculations in AFPA but you probably only need about 3 weeks to complete the initial round of studying for the subject and the rest is just practice, practice, and more practice. I and other Ppruners have contributed to a recent thread which neatly summarises all the tricks and short cuts to this exam:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=326000

The point is : it can be done. Work hard and I wish you best of luck.

mingalababya
6th Jun 2008, 01:12
Thanks all for your feedback. It certainly sounds like it can be done if I remained focused and disciplined. One thing going for the Aerodynamics and Systems course is that it is interesting, despite the quantity of material that needs to be digested. And good to hear that the AFT notes (and hopefully practice exams) are spot on as well. :E

ReverseFlight, thanks very much for that link for tips on the Flight Planning exam. It's very useful indeed. (BTW, so you've been to Burma?)

Aerodynamisist
6th Jun 2008, 01:33
It can be done, for systems I used Rob Avery's books and practice exams aerodynamics for naval aviators . Also I had some big posters of Boeing cockpits and a big poster of a turbo fan engine to help me visualize the various systems. I passed first go after three or four weeks of solid study, I hope you do well. Good luck.

The Hill
6th Jun 2008, 03:20
Im in the process of self studying all the atpls with AFTs notes. Have done systems and as others have said a wide variety of content but nothing too in depth. If you have already self studied five just keep on going.
AFT is definatly the way to go !!

havick
6th Jun 2008, 03:30
can't agree more, if you have the time and the discipline you can quite comfortably all of the ATPL exams.

I'm in the midst of doing all helicopter and fixed wing ATPL's, completed about 5 so far all self study including flight planning, perf loading etc.. So it can be done you just have to have the time to sit in front of the TV with your books and a few beers.

ReverseFlight
6th Jun 2008, 03:45
Aerodynamisist : I used Rob Avery's AGK textbooks too and they were very comprehensive and easily understandable. A viable alternative to other products on the market.

Havick : I agree that all fixed wing and helicopter CPLs/ATPLs can be passed with self study and strict discipline. I am living proof of this and would encourage others who are unable to study full time to do likewise.

mingalababya : Yes, I have. I presume you have a connection there.