PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest place to do an IR?

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 20:41
Any thoughts and experiences?

MIKECR
4th Jun 2008, 20:52
Can of worms! Do you want a 'cheap' IR or a 'well taught' IR??

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 21:05
Value for money :}

MIKECR
4th Jun 2008, 22:07
XL,

you'll get cheap IR in Spain but you'll also get a mixed bag of reviews. The FAA/JAA conversion route is still popular but with a weak dollar it may not be cost effective.

Diamond twinstar FTO's seem the popular choice, for cost, and 'modern' systems. Theres plenty of steam driven seneca FTO's as well, slightly more expensive though.

The big schools are booked up with the usual integrated boys and girls so you will probably have to look at some of the smaller UK FTO's to get a place. Thats assuming you want a JAA UK course. Many schools are booked solid for months in advance though, best to phone around and see whats on offer.

It all depends on what your after though, be it MEIR?? SEIR??, Budding airline pilot or PPL business flyer wanting an IR??

Nearly There
4th Jun 2008, 22:35
Can you give us a bit more info? Where you based, do you want to stay in uk, are you looking asap or a few weeks/months away?
Also consider accomodation costs, repositioning flights to test centres etc.

Cheers
NT

LH2
4th Jun 2008, 22:57
Do you want a 'cheap' IR or a 'well taught' IR?

Well, I got me a cheap, very well taught IR in Spain. From what I've seen, the "mixed bag of reviews" seems to come essentially from a lack of awareness or adaption to a different cultural environment.

If for whatever reason you cannot cope well with change and uncertainty (and it's a fact of life some people are better than others in this respect, no shame in that), then no matter how good the experience, you are not going to benefit from it, so that's another factor to consider. FWIW. HTH.

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 23:14
ATPL. I dont have a great budget so looking for value for money. Thanks for your views. I've heard Spain is one of the best, but just as long as there is no hidden extra's!!! Plus the euro is creeping up on the pound.:oh:

Quite happy to spend some time away, however I've ruled Moncton out as they didn't have the decency to ring me back. Manners and courtesy go a long way with me. I would prefer the UK due to weather conditions however it's very expensive here. Abroad then I can enjoy a different change of scenery and enjoy it.

MIKECR
4th Jun 2008, 23:19
XL,

I know somebody who's(cue Neil!!) just back from aerodynamics at Malaga. An experienced pilot and a first time pass, but i dont think he's going to blow sunshine up AM's arse! He said the test was 'joke'. Dont shoot the messenger!

XL319
4th Jun 2008, 23:23
Interesting!! I want someone who is going to teach me because of their enthusiasm and not because its run of the mill. Ive heard lots of good reports from aero.

LH2
6th Jun 2008, 01:22
He said the test was 'joke'

Cue what I've said about cultural differences and all that crap :rolleyes:

Personally, I went there, got taught how to fly like a proper pilot, did my test, performed well under trying circumstances and passed (that's real world flying down there, not some back of beyond regional airport kind of place. When it gets busy, it gets "real world" busy, and saying "sorry just a student here" won't cut it, the same level of performance is expected from everyone, whether it's you or the BAW breathing up your arse on final).

OTOH I did my CPL back in the UK at some half-disused aerodrome, never going into controlled airspace or seeing a commercial traffic. Flew my test like a blind pig was at the controls, and ended up with a pass which I did not merit in any possible way.

Which test was more of a 'joke'? Of course, people in Britain keep giving me lots of reasons why the bloke who signed me off to fly commercially was right, and why "abroad they don't do things properly". Well, as someone who needs four languages just to communicate with close family, I trust I can recognise cultural bias when I smell it. :}

Of course, in defence of whoever made the comment above, it could well be that a particular examiner is being slack. If that's the case and it bothers you, nothing stops you from complaining and asking for a retest with someone else. It's only £200 a pop down there so why not do it? :E

'Jokes' aside, at the end of the day it's just flight training, as far as I've seen we only do it for the enjoyment it brings, not like it's got any academic value or anything, so don't take it too seriously or you'll miss all the fun. :ok:

Lastly, not having a go at anyone here, just thought some things need to be put in context.