PDA

View Full Version : RAF corporal facing claim for nearly 300,000 after he crashed his car.

ZH875
4th Jun 2008, 20:56
What is your speed on base?

RAF CORPORAL FACING 270K WRIT OVER CRASH

A Lincolnshire RAF corporal is facing a claim for nearly 300,000 after he crashed his TVR car into three aircraft engines belonging to the Ministry of Defence.

Matthew Greenlees, who is based at RAF Waddington, lost control of his TVR Chimera at RAF Odiham in Hampshire, crashing into three containers with aircraft engines, according to a High Court writ.

The accident caused damage put at 270,233.43 to the engines, the writ says.

Now the Secretary of State for Defence is suing Cpl Greenlees for the cost of damage to its property after the accident on April 8, 2002.

He negligently failed to keep a proper lookout, drove too fast and failed to avoid colliding with the three containers, the writ claims.

Source
(http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156130&command=displayContent&sourceNode=242285&home=yes&more_nodeId1=156139&contentPK=20780693)

glad rag
4th Jun 2008, 21:04
Guess that's why we have car insurance then, unless he is insured with one of those companies that ends his cover at the main gate!

G-CPTN
4th Jun 2008, 21:15
About 45 years ago a colleague negotiated permission to run-in his track-car around the perimeter track of the local (still operational then) RAF station airfield.
A couple of us went along to keep him company, and the inevitable 'race' developed between us (whilst the guy in the race car pootled-around at running-in speed).
We had been briefed by the race-car guy that under no circumstances were we to drive on or across the grass (this had been the only restriction issued by the RAF contact).
I found myself in a position to overtake the other (non-race-car) guy in his so-called 'hot' Mini Cooper as we approached a corner of the perimeter track, but as my car 'drifted' it seemed that I might end up running onto the grass. I took 'avoiding' action which resulted in a 180 degree spin and then (!) my car 'rolled' end-over-end. I can still recall looking in the rear-view mirror and wondering which window the heavy cantilever toolbox that had been on the back seat would go out through. (As it happened, the window subsequently had paint-marks from the box but failed to shatter.)
It took us but a few minutes to right the vehicle, during
which nobody from the base noticed, and nothing further was heard of the matter.
At least I kept off the grass . . .

But I didn't hit anything that belonged to the RAF.

selfloadingcargo
4th Jun 2008, 21:21
...given the current parlous state of things, hitting anything belonging to the RAF would be a bloody miracle today.....

tony draper
4th Jun 2008, 22:23
I dunno, according to the news they have a warehouse full of brand new unused Chinooks somewhere.:uhoh:

corsair
4th Jun 2008, 22:52
If he is insured I'd love to see his next insurance qoute:eek:

Standard Noise
5th Jun 2008, 00:05
Corporal in the RAF and he can afford to insure and run a TVR Chimera?
I gotta get me a new job.

Still, if he was driving like a tit, he deserves to get sued. Wants to be thankful he's alive.

G-CPTN
5th Jun 2008, 00:11
Nobody said he was insured . . .

(though your point is relevant)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
5th Jun 2008, 01:25
[someone has to say it]

and I gues the MoD going after him for the full amount can be considered corporal punishment

[/someone has to say it]

ArthurR
5th Jun 2008, 07:57
Standard Noise, I have to agree with your last point, but when I was in the mob, if an accident occured involving defence equipment, the defence side being guilty, the MOD offered no responsibility (various aircraft incidents where damaged occured to parked cars) and civilian vehicles and or equipment where brought on at their own risk....Strange that it dosn't work the other way around

tony draper
5th Jun 2008, 08:46
I understand that if Mrs Queen hits you in her car your not allowed to claim from her insurance because she does not need any being that all the roads belong to her and one does not need insurance to drive on one's own land nor does she need to have to have a driving licence.
Tiz only right I suppose.
:E

SilentHandover
5th Jun 2008, 09:07
Does that mean the Queen could not use the M6 toll road and other such private roads then? Or would she be allowed to sit a shortened test and have a limited mileage policy?

Cheerio
5th Jun 2008, 09:09
My old mans Mk1 Granada nearly had a head-on with HRH and the DoE.
Driving back roads near Balmoral, approaching a narrow buttressed bridge, a big Daimler driven as if by Henri Paul himself crested the brow and charged though, with no prospect of stopping for oncoming traffic. My dad had to take a scenic route in the undergrowth the avoid a very nasty one.
My memory of the incident was primarily the look of concern on DoE's face as the two unweighted rear seat passengers clung to the bench seat with no seatbelts.
A scuffle of grit and dust kicked up, and it was gone. To add insult to injury, we almost got flattened by an unmarked Range Rover seconds later.....

Parapunter
5th Jun 2008, 09:11
Hmmm, I wonder if that works the other way around, as I know someone who hit her car a few years ago. Fortunately, Brenda was not in at the time. I also once very nearly got wiped out by HRH Phil the Greek on a country lane. He was belting round corners in his land rover. true that is.

Dan D'air
5th Jun 2008, 09:13
according to the news they have a warehouse full of brand new unused Chinooks somewhere

And AH-64's too.

Wader2
5th Jun 2008, 10:49
A Lincolnshire RAF corporal . . . crashed his TVR car

Life style choice really, TVR or bratts and boarding school allowance :}

xraf
5th Jun 2008, 11:10
Betty doesn't have to be insured 'cos she is above the law - remember! Also when did she last drive anything on a road?

However, all her minions do need insurance including Phil the Greek.

Nevertheless, she may not actually get a policy, she doesn't have to 'cos she has lots of . Come to that neither do you, if you can afford it, you can self insure, just show the appropriate wedge to the enquiring official and they will sign it off.

All councils and such like used to do this because they thought they would save money by not paying hefty insurance premiums, until they found out that they had to pay out lots all the time to various inattentive dustbin cart drivers victims etc etc. and they mostly decided having a policy was actually cheaper!:ugh:

Xraf:ok:

tony draper
5th Jun 2008, 11:15
Mrs Queen was taught to drive by the military during the war, she drove a Army Lorry if I recall correctly.
:cool:

spekesoftly
5th Jun 2008, 11:43
Not only drove military vehicles, but also trained to repair them.

tony draper
5th Jun 2008, 11:48
Hmmm it's peeps who can fix American Helicopters they need apparently.:rolleyes:

Taildragger67
5th Jun 2008, 14:44
Cheerio,

She's a Majesty, not a Royal Highness, hence 'HM' rather than 'HRH'.

Greek Boy is an HRH, however.

tony draper
5th Jun 2008, 14:50
:= Nowt wrong wi Phil the Greek,if all those dammed furriners were of his ilk one would be fonder of the buggas.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
5th Jun 2008, 15:03
I understand that the hold-up with the Chinooks is a lack of software.
Would've thought a pimply 15 year old yoof could write the necessary lines of code . . .

frostbite
5th Jun 2008, 15:37
Maybe that was the problem?

tony draper
5th Jun 2008, 15:42
Na! tiz a hardware problem,the driving seat is on the wrong side.:rolleyes:

Standard Noise
5th Jun 2008, 15:52
Should suit Phil the Greek then, don't they drive on the wrong side?
Mind you, after watching his carriage driving on that Trevor McDonut prog the other week, I'm not sure I'd want to be in any vehicle with him, L or R handed!:eek:

Blues&twos
6th Jun 2008, 10:20
Whatever happened after that Prince Charles bloke drove a plane off the end of a runway somewhere a few years ago? Anyone know?

cats_five
6th Jun 2008, 11:47
Think it was Islay or Barra where Prince Charles had a little accident landing one of the Queen's Flight - believe it was one of those sand strips only available at or near low tide. But might be wrong about the last bit - I'm sure it was somewhere in the Western Isles.

G-CPTN
6th Jun 2008, 12:18
Although HRH was at the controls, the pilot NF and navigator were held responsible for the incident.
From Hansard:- The inquiry into the incident on 29 June 1994 when a BAe 146 of the Queens flight ran off the runway after landing at Islay has been completed and I have placed a summary in the Library of the House. The captain and navigator were responsible for the safe operation of the aircraft and the supervision of HRH the Prince of Wales, who was flying as a pilot under instruction. The inquiry judged that the captain and navigator had been negligent in failing adequately to plan and to correct the approach and landing.

2 sheds
6th Jun 2008, 12:19
Not a "sand strip" but at Islay, landing downwind. The AFS there have some excellent photos and a few bits of 146 that broke off. Apparently, HRH was not seen for dust as he bugga'ed off on his visit to the nearest distillery.

Standard Noise
6th Jun 2008, 13:16
Good man! Gotta get the priorities right.

Blues&twos
6th Jun 2008, 13:26
I wonder if he put it in his logbook?

unclenelli
8th Jun 2008, 02:49
Corporal in the RAF and he can afford to insure and run a TVR Chimera?
I gotta get me a new job.

Given that the accident took place in April 2002, chances are he was probably only an SAC at the time. I also know of a Cpl who is single and chooses to Live-In, but owns his own light aircraft - As Wader2 said It's a lifestyle choice - kids or gadgets.

Also, I've just renewed my Car Insurance, and the longest I was ever asked for any history on was 5 years, so he won't have to declare it if they're only just coming after him now for it.
He can just refer it back to whoever he was insured with at the time. Chances are he's already paid the excess on his own car, and had it fixed. So his old insurance company will either pay out, or tell the MOD to shove it as the claim is so old. I'm guessing it's the latter, which is why the MOD are now chasing the Cpl (who they've seen fit to promote (possibly) and continue employing).

In the end, he was driving on private roads (so civil speed limits do not apply - camp speed limits are only enforceable by Barrier Pilots, so no points or fine, just a bollocking and possble banning from camp), so unless the Barrier Pilots at Waddo want to try and find some 6-y-o evidence from Odiham and try to charge him, then I reckon the MOD will end up footing the bill. (When did the double-jeopardy laws change - IIRC it was less then 6 years ago, so they can't even do that)

The MOD opted to self-insure several years ago, so it should self-insure and foot it's own bill, as there's no way a Cpl can afford to settle a bill of that size - approx 10x gross salary - although JPA may decide it is possible and pay him 0.00 for the next 15 years!!!!