PDA

View Full Version : Can't access Pprune!

bengal_lancer
23rd Nov 2001, 02:38
For some time now I have been unable to access PPRUNE via any of my dial-ups apart from Freeserve. ( I also have Cable and Wireless, Portland and One-Tel). I have both N/scape (6) and IE 5.5 working on a Dell PIII, 500 mhz, 256mb ram machine + 1x 20 GB & 1x 30GB HDD. Basically I can only get pprune to download when I use my Freeserve connection... - the others all give a "page cannot be displayed" message etc. It make no difference using N/scape or IE. Any ideas?

To make matters worse I have just installed ADSL (BT O/world)... fantastic but I can't get pprune! All other sites work ok except microsoft.com which also won't download except via Freeserve! Hence to upgrade to IE6 I can't take advantage of the ADSL line.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

FL310
23rd Nov 2001, 13:04
Do you run any modem tuning software such as Modem Booster etc?
These progs store the numeric values of the server addresses instead of the alpha numeric values. This way loading of a page starts immediately instead of first looking up the "translation" server for www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) and request the required ip-address, sending it back to your browser and telling your browser to connect now to this number.
The problem is simple but annoying if a hosting service changes...new address for the ip-values but the domain name remains the same.

If you do not run any of these progs, delete all temporary internet files, clear all cookies and give it another try.

Check the setting for your dial-up access (and adsl) as there may be a proxy setting activated. Proxy do the same as modem boosters....updating takes time there.

bengal_lancer
24th Nov 2001, 02:26
FL310. Cheers mate! All sorted now. I run Tweak DUN and I forgot that I should update the entries in the Hosts file regularly. My problems with PPrune started when a server change took place around 18 mths ago ( I realise that since then there have been at least another 2 server upgrades).

Anyway, everything is now running smoothly... for now!