PDA

View Full Version : Another question about CD burning

WX Man
22nd Dec 2000, 16:21
Reading the other one about getting WAV on to CD reminded me of a problem I've been tackling on and off for the past few months.

How do you transfer MP3 onto a CD? The only solution I've come up with so far is to take the Audio Output (analogue) and plug it into the Audio Input (analogue). As yet, I haven't been able to think of anything that allows me to go direct from MP3 to the CD.

So, short of getting a soundcard with a digital out, and plugging this into my Hi-Fi's digital in, there appears to be no solution.... or is there?

hometown
22nd Dec 2000, 18:53
It's all in the software old boy.
Get yourself some decent CD Burning software and you will find transfering MP3's direct to CD no trouble at all.
Adaptec Easy CD Creator Deluxe is particularly good for this you can transfer MP3's straight to CD without converting to a Wave file . Also the software allows you to balance the volume for each track so that tracks recorded from different sources will all be recored at the same volume.
Hope this helps.
(PS I don't work for Adaptec ..... remember there are other similar products on the market !)

Squealer
23rd Dec 2000, 00:56
Nero also works fine at this task. There was a free latest version (time limited I think) on one of the PC mags recently

Bear Cub
23rd Dec 2000, 05:05
Doesn't Windows Millennium also allow direct transfer?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

WX Man
23rd Dec 2000, 16:23
Ah! Adaptec is the program that came with our computer. Will give it a try.... watch this space.

Thanks for the advice!

WX Man
23rd Dec 2000, 19:34
Hmm. Adaptec will let me copy sound files to a CD-R... providing they're in WAV format. No direct MP3 to CD it seems.

Raises an interesting question. If MP3 uses the same compression as MiniDisc, why has nobody thought of making a MD player/recorder to fit to a computer? Think about it... it's a brilliant idea. You could use MDs to store data and music.

Even if they are two different formats, I think using MD to store data is still a jolly good idea.

Anyway, for the time being (re. MP3), I think I'm going to wait until I have a sound card with a digital out.

Squealer
23rd Dec 2000, 21:04
You can get a free demo of Nero at <A HREF="http://www.ahead.de/en/download.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.ahead.de/en/download.htm</A>
I have version 5.0 which came with my CD RW and it works a treat for MP3 to audio CD!

hometown
26th Dec 2000, 22:29
WX Man
I do not know which version of Adaptec Easy CD Creator you have but you need Easy CD Creator Deluxe (Version 4 ). It costs around £45.00 or so. It most definately transfers MP3 files direct to CD.
Hope this helps.

stickyb
27th Dec 2000, 07:11
If you use Adaptec version 4 or later, you can create an audio CD and put on it mp3 files simply by the drag and drop method. The software handles all the necessary conversion for you.
However, the latest version of CD players available here in HK (and presumably the rest of the world) boast the ability to play native MP3 files. IE you copy the MP3 files to the CD as if you were burning a data cd, and then the player does the necessary conversion. Increases the amount of music you can get on a disc!

WX Man
27th Dec 2000, 15:01
That HK technology sounds like the biz. Wouldn't be surprised, though, if it takes 2 years to filter through to the banana republic that is the UK.

Recent development: I've had a modicum of success after my brother got a program to convert MP3 to WAV files (forget what it's called). However, my only doubt about it is that quality is being lost, as MP3 is digital and WAV is analogue. Therefore you're going D-A and then A-D (albeit with no outside interferance).

spannersatcx
27th Dec 2000, 16:16
You can get it in the UK NOW it is the Napa DAV 309 around £100 http://www.amaxhk.com for manu site can be bought from http://www.jungle.com

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 27 December 2000).]

speedtape king
27th Dec 2000, 17:05
how about going from cd audio into mp3 format anyone got any ideas on that one ??

Woodpidgeon
27th Dec 2000, 17:25
I have found that if you play your audio cd through Realjukebox and simply save the track(s) to disc, they will automatically be saved as MP3 files. To copy onto a burnable simply use Nero or equivalent and drop and drag and the file acroaa and it will be automatically converted to the format you want. I have been doing it this way for some months now with no probs. Hope this helps. What I would like to know is if there is a way of producing CDs from my large selection of Audio tapes. Any help here would be much appreciated.

redsnail
27th Dec 2000, 17:36
Mindisc data storage is available. Not well marketed and known as MO (Magneto Optical). You can get Data MD's as well.
I think MD use a different "form" of compression to mp3. Although, both are lossy compression files.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

stickyb
28th Dec 2000, 05:52
The machines cost around 300-400 HK$ out here - although they are mains operated, not portables.

InTheAir
1st Jan 2001, 23:56
WX Man,

I have the program for you (it's about 800kb zipped) and is freeware. It does every single sound conversion combo out there!

Want it?

WX Man
2nd Jan 2001, 13:22
Yes please! I have emailed you with an address (my budweiser one doesn't pick up attachments too well). If it's not too much trouble!

Thank you!

Eric
3rd Jan 2001, 00:24
Woodpigeon,
Not sure but the Adaptec Deluxe mentioned previously allows the creation of CD's from vinyl, so presumably it's just a matter of changing input source to copy from tapes?

InTheAir
3rd Jan 2001, 23:00
Sent. Check your email.