PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone jammers

virgin
22nd Nov 2001, 23:27
There was a thread months ago about devices for jamming mobile phones.
Anyone know where to find it?
Or have any info?

Thanx

BOAC
23rd Nov 2001, 01:20
BBC Radio 2 mentioned it today as a 'mail-order' item from Japan.

I'm off to do an internet search............

I'm back! All I could find was this link

DECIDED TO SCRUB THE LINK, SINCE SAID ITEM IS ILLEGAL! Virgin, email me.

The BBC said this new one was 'pocket-sized' I want one!

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: BOAC ]

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: BOAC ]

Hew Jampton
24th Nov 2001, 03:25
virgin
Why should you want to jam mobile phones? Yes, braying yuppies are annoying, but jamming would also affect a doctor on call or, dare I say it, an airline pilot on standby?

kavu
24th Nov 2001, 03:33
virgin and others,

mobil phone jammes would be fantastic on flights.

no matter how many times you tell pax about turning your phone off on flights you always find one or two that don't or forget.

then don't have to worry about interference on instruments flights.

Cornish Jack
24th Nov 2001, 03:57
Virgin et al
I started a thread on this about a year or so ago after hearing a programme on the Beeb about their use in Japan.
I have tried searching for the original thread again but with the search facility in it's present state, no joy. The details are that they are available mail order in the UK (and elsewhere) at about 100GBP. They are NOT (as far as I know) illegal, and they pose no threat to the emergency services since they do not affect pagers. The operating range is about 50 metres so it deals quite nicely with the verbal diarhoea addicts and are installed in some concert halls to deal with the prats who can't cope with sensible social behaviour.
The information in the original thread was kindly provided by Ex Sim Guy and, if he is still with us, perhaps he could repeat the URL for the e-mail source.
So far, my IQ (irritation quotient) has not quite reached the £100.00 mark but it's getting there !! :)

sanjosebaz
24th Nov 2001, 06:11
kavu: If cellular phones cause disruption to instruments, wouldn't a jammer have similar (or even worse, since it's broadband) effect? :eek:

Fully agree that concert halls/lecture theatres ought to be fitted with them as standard though.
;)

[ 24 November 2001: Message edited by: sanjosebaz ]

18-Wheeler
24th Nov 2001, 10:11
Yep, simply jamming them unfortunately won't help, as all you're doing is making *more* signal in the same band as mobile phone.
I fully agree that the d*mn things MUST be turned off on the plane, in flight or on the ground.

Perhaps a wand (like the metal detector type) that is waved over you as you board the plane that detects if they're on or not. If it's on, then it's taken from you and crushed in a vise ...
Um, sorry, I meant taken off you and returned at the end of the trip.
Freudian slip ... ;)

fobotcso
24th Nov 2001, 13:49
If there had been a mobile 'phone jammer operating on board UA93 on 11 Sep, there would have been an even greater disaster in Washington. The heroes who averted that disaster learned of the earlier NY and DC attacks on their mobiles.

Best to accept the inconvenience and irritation in return for the benefits.