PDA

View Full Version : Name and Shame

Call me Skipper
4th Jun 2008, 12:55
I was called by Crew Control and asked to fly on a G day, as we all are practically once a month. I refused but checked the roster later and found a colleague had obviously agreed to work on his G days and in this case straight out again after returning from a ULH the prevoius day, making the FDP's a joke.

When will we learn, 49 pilots sacked, DE commanders, seniority list a joke our CoS degraded by the day yet we still help these guys out. We have absolutely no bargaining power at all, and everybody blames the Union.

Some of us try to do the right thing but there are alot of guys and gals cutting deals with CC (especially the old extendees), making your and my effort worthless.

I say there should be something in place where these individuals are made to be known - any ideas ?

sizematters
4th Jun 2008, 14:20
yes................get a life........................

Five Green
4th Jun 2008, 15:59
Size:

It is apathy like yours that is a huge part of the problem. If the Pilots here showed a little more involvement in their association and in what was going on around them then we would certainly be able to get more done.

The fact that no one gets involved, or in size's case completely misses the issue, is why the co. can get the current spate of COS REDUCTIONS into place.

The whole point of posting here is to get feedback from your peers.

Try to be a little more constructive and engaging next time Size or are you too busy looking at how big yours is......

FG

US Marine
4th Jun 2008, 16:20
its pretty easy....instead of people hiding behind the idea of work to rule.....proclaiming that they would never work a g day when the pricks still do so......let the union dictate no working on g days....let those not in the union be invited to join the same and then we have a collective whole.

we will never get a collective will if there is the perception of others gaining from our sacrifice. name and shame is not the way to go.....collective direction is.

Bow Inn
4th Jun 2008, 23:40
Isn't bullying and intimidation exactly what we get upset about, when the company does it. Will quite happily join a "no G day" working regime if it's sponsored by the AOA. A "name and shame" policy is very 1970's and not befitting the status of our profession. If you are volunteering to humiliate fellow colleagues, then perhaps you can identify yourself first and then put up the poster in the mail room. Such confrontational behavior is typical around here and is probably the result of years of habitual bullying.

Flew with an SO a while back who had been called out on his G day. By doing so, he brought the same NA pattern forward by 4 days, pushed himself into some serious overtime (which on his salary, was worth having) and more importantly, got himself away on leave early. Can't blame him cause he's only doing what pilots traditionally do in this industry, and looked after himself. After all, who else is going to do it. Not the "collective" pilot group, because that doesn't happen around here. We all know it, but hate to admit it.

If you want to make a difference, then you could get yourself elected onto the AOA committee and try and change things from within. As a famous cartoon once said, "either lead, follow or get out of the way." I'm afraid your attitude simply perpetuates the "divide and conquer" policy the company employs to such great effect.

Flame away if you wish but I believe this infighting and colleague bashing is the route cause of our problems. Each group quite willing to blame the other instead of uniting. And as history shows us, when the call to arms is sounded, it's often the most vocal and anonymous chaps that duck for cover.

As an after thought, I suspect talk of pay rises and CC is a year out of date. We missed our chance of a fair pay deal 12 months ago. I suspect as the industry begins its next slide down hill (oil prices/world economy) we should be grateful we still have a job and working for a financially successful company. Anyone thinking differently, may be in for a shock.

Just my thoughts.

Mr. Bloggs
5th Jun 2008, 01:14
Why do these Retreads keep coming back working on even lower conditions? Selfishness and greed coming to mind.
:ugh::=:rolleyes:

Al E. Vator
5th Jun 2008, 02:53
Oh for goodness sake abc1 and sizematters, these people are trying to get a life. Their colleagues are ruining it for them.

If your intellect is as deficient and limited to posting such inane 1990's American retorts as "get a life" perhaps you should redirect your internet viewing to teenage blogs etc. Using flippant soundbites such as "get a life" is the domain of the idiot - somebody unable to use the reasoned argument that PPRune should insist on.

Call me Skipper
5th Jun 2008, 03:40
Ok guy's perhaps naming and shaming is abit extreme. My point is most of us refuse to work on G days to send a signal to the company that we are not happy about the way in which we are treated. Sure, most of the time working on a G would be beneficial, but by not helping them out you are sending out a signal that all is not well. Nobody is talking about biting the hand that feeds you, you work your published roster right, in this case they are asking for something extra, for your help. As far as confrontation and intimidation goes, thats my point, there is none. Thats why guy's do it, they know they can get away with it with absolute impunity because everyone is always super diplomatic once at work.

It's just food for thought, but if you think not working on a G is helping the greater good you are mistaken, there are heaps of guy's and gals doing it.

SMOC
5th Jun 2008, 04:19
Heard from one of the crew controllers who did some time at KA (during contract compliance just after the take over), said over at KA was impossible the crew did absolutely zero to help, and said over at CX was a dream and any crewing problem was solved within a few phone calls, basically said we were a joke! They're not happy either but as usual CXs motto "if ain't broke don't fix it" we don't care how happy our employees are!

US Marine
5th Jun 2008, 05:21
call me skipper

"My point is most of us refuse to work on G days to send a signal to the company"

can i ammend that to "most of us say we refuse to work on a g-day"

there is an awful amount of it going on! and yes, without a collective group direction you can never blame anyone for overtime, moving flights to extend leave or have a weekend at home with their family.

Al E. Vator
5th Jun 2008, 09:13
Make you sick it might but it worked at KA!

However CX pilots do seem a little more caring of only themselves.

5th Jun 2008, 12:07
BandH if you're with CX then it helps explain why they are in such a spiral dive industrially. As has been stated quite correctly above, the KA DPA has achieved significant improvements on their CoS over the last year or so with a display of stead fast solidarity by its members. [and some resignations] It does work but you ALL need to be in the fight.