PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem!

Conky Joe
2nd Oct 2000, 10:54
Help!!

My pc won't deliver updated pprune pages that I've posted in!! All other threads seem to be fine and the threads that I've posted in haven't all stopped at the same time - eg F1-11s in Rumours and News I get the first page up to Argus Tuft 1 Oct 0705 and Tracy Island (!) Aircrews Notices - it stops after my post. Is there a hint I'm not taking?? I know posts are possibly not the most exciting but I'd still like to read what comes after!!

I've tried deleting all temporary folders to no avail. I've tried refreshing and rebooting - nothing works!!

Any ideas?

CJ

InFinRetirement
2nd Oct 2000, 13:46
Hi CJ! Lets see.

I think you have a browser problem which is limiting you.

If you don't have IE5.5 I would strongly suggest that you get it from MS. Takes a while to d/l but it will be worth it. If, of course, you have it you need to go into Internet Options/Advanced on the browser page OR right click on Internet Explorer on Desktop and then click Properties/Advanced to check or uncheck the culprit.

Can't think of anything else that would cause it. Worth a try.

Done the TI thing and registered my e-mail. Thanks a lot for that.

X

ORAC
2nd Oct 2000, 20:26
Weird is right. If that is his problem how can he read the answers?

I suggest you e-mail any replies!!

fobotcso
2nd Oct 2000, 21:01
Er, using a different PC?

InFinRetirement
2nd Oct 2000, 22:51
Errrr gents, Conky Joe is a a lady! Least that's what she keeps telling me.

CJ. Had another thought. Have you BLOCKED cookies? Check it out. See no cookie no see last entry - I think.

X

ORAC
2nd Oct 2000, 23:21
fobotsco,

You are obviously not a geek!

A few simple rules!

1. If it's broken, fix it! Using another machine or a spare is the mark of the amateur!

2. Never read the handbook! What the hell did the author know!

3. Never ask Microsoft because * (Perm answer out 1000 due to personal preference.")

4. Totally reload from scratch rather than ask help! It is so suave to say "Ya, I spent 12 hours reloading and debugging *** and now my machine runs 3% faster!" rather than use someone elses 30 seconds fix.

5. If your machine is working perfectly, has no conflicts, and meets all yours needs. Upgrade! You have no challenges left in life and nothing to discuss with the other geeks!

6. Dual install at least one other OS. If you are scared to crash one, you can at least crash the other and then go and discuss it on the appropriate site.

fobotcso
3rd Oct 2000, 00:37
Cor, it was only a suggestion!

But thank goodness I'm not a geek; those close to me had begun to look at me in a strange way and I was beginning to wonder myself. That baggy old sweater I wear all the time was starting (in my imagination) to look like an anorak. So, just why are they watching me from behind their newspapers and GQ magazines?

I currently run four mixed Windows PCs on a domestic LAN (five when son is home from Uni) so I have the luxury of testing on one when a problem arises on another. As I teach at home I have to have at least two working at any one time. As you imply, Orac, you wouldn't run a life support system on a Microsoft OS. (But can you be sure that there aren't embedded NT systems in those clever bits of kit in the ITU wards?)

But if you want to help, I may soon have a problem for you others to contribute to if you would be so kind. But not on this thread. I just can't get Win ME on the laptop to recognise the network after a straight upgrade from Win 98 where all was hunky dory. It's to do with NDIS driver(s), and it may be a case of a suitable driver just not being available.

When I get fed up, I'll post a new thread.

BTW, it's fobotcso. If you tried fobotsco in my little plane, I would hit you on the back of the head and you would never get airborne.

CJ, my compliments. My first post was to Orac only. Hope your problem is soon resolved.

[This message has been edited by fobotcso (edited 02 October 2000).]

ORAC
3rd Oct 2000, 08:45
Ho hum, I admit to being a "little geeky". I only have 3 machines plus a lap top. But, then there is just me. All, I admit, running MS: 98, NT4 worskstation; W2000 server with one dual booting LINUX.

My reply was a, vain, attempt at humour. Maybe I should'nt give up my day job. Sorry if came across the wrong way.

(PS, I am not against MS, I actually have an MCSE, (even if I do not use it at work or admit it in polite company.) Acquired as a geeky hobby, hence the 3 machines for the exams. Very very rusty though - NT4 only.)

[This message has been edited by ORAC (edited 03 October 2000).]

Conky Joe
3rd Oct 2000, 14:36
Thanks guys - messed around with the cookies and installed IE5.5 and it seems to be working OK now. It did occur to me that I wouldn't be able to read the replies but had planned to use a friend's pc! Sadly, I don't even rank kagool status though as I only have the one pc - oh and a defunct laptop, does that count?!

fobotcso - what does your name mean that I reversal of 'c' and 's' could have such an effect?!

CJ

Conky Joe
3rd Oct 2000, 18:03
Aarrgghh! I spoke to soon! Presumably there is a posting from me above this one - the index page indicates an extra posting but I can't see it, in spite of switching everything off, starting from scratch and snaffling all the cookies I can find. Perhaps I'm just not supposed to post ?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

EGCC Rwy 24
3rd Oct 2000, 23:02
Conky, it did it to me the other day. The index said 3 replies on a thread that I started. Looking at the thread, there was only my post there. Clicked REFRESH and still only my original post. Clicked REFRESH again and all was well.

I reckon that my ISP (Freeserve) is cacheing some pages on a proxy server and not checking for updates when serving the page.....

Lurk R
4th Oct 2000, 02:59
Don't worry - I used to only require refreshing once. Since the website makeover, I need to refresh twice...

fobotcso
5th Oct 2000, 01:21
I think I was having a bad hair day! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif Nothing wrong with your humour, ORAC, but I didn't seem to be able to raise my game to respond accordingly. Sorry.

CJ, my handle is the initial letters of a simple sequence of checks used in many basic single piston aircraft prior to engine start. Get 'em wrong and at best nothing will happen; at worst the engine won't start, the ground crew may get hurt and the instructor will get mad. Best to get them right!

Interesting parallel, ORAC. I considered MCSE to make money but I heard it was expensive, system specific and time limited. Instead, last winter I did the Open University Post-Grad course M881 in the Computing for Commerce and Industry Series. It was entitled Architectures of Computing Systems. Excellent but also expensive at £800 (including the pre-exam revision course)and only counts 15 points towards 120 needed for an MSc. I couldn't afford to go the whole hog, but this course was just what I needed to broaden my understanding.

I'm thoroughly NT4 - networked and about to go Win2000; after I have sorted Win ME on the laptop. I'm just going to trash it and install ME clean instead of over the top of Win 98.

Later.

InFinRetirement
6th Oct 2000, 10:59
CJ. I put this on the Whirlybird's thread. She says it works OK - and it should.

Click Internet Options then Advanced.

Under BROWSING tick each box EXCEPT 2,5,11,and 13. There are TWO items there that are relevant if not ticked.

Hope it helps.

X

stickyb
7th Oct 2000, 10:42
Have also had this problem a time back - was due to my ISP cacheing pages improperly in a firewall, and not getting the updates through. If you know you are hitting the problem, then don't just hit refresh (which will just get the same old page from the cache that the ISP is keeping) but use either SHIFT + Refresh or CONTROL + Refresh (can't remember which one, but experiment) which will force the browser to bypass the cache (or at least it did for me)

cossack
7th Oct 2000, 17:15
This has been happening to me, but only for the last week when I moved ISPs from LineOne to Freeserve.
I guess Freeserve is the culprit. One or two refreshes usually gets the result required.

Windows2000
26th Oct 2000, 17:48
This is an interesting one people.

I run both IE5.00.lot of numbers & NScape4.08

Use CTRL-R (or CTRL-Refresh) with IE or SHIFT-R (SHIFT-Reload) with Netscape to force a refresh from the server (rather than the cache).

This always works with Netscape, but not always with IE. Interestingly if you force a server reload with Netscape your next refresh with IE is up to date? Bill, you're a mongrel, again...

Hope this helps.

R O Tiree
27th Oct 2000, 02:25
Testing, Testing, 1,2,2,1,1,2,3...

R O Tiree
27th Oct 2000, 02:31
Apologies for the totally meaningless post above - I was just checking something out.

Win2000 - Since Netscape and IE store their caches in different places, no they don't update together. I have both and it's confusing as hell if you mess up. "I know I've been to this page before...., Oh yeah, in the other browser..." If you are using IE5, try Tools=>Internet Options, click on the General tab. Halfway down, you'll see an area marked "Temporary Internet Files". Click on "Settings". Under "Check for Newer Versions of Stored Pages" click the "Automatically" button. That should check that the page you have in your cache is the newest one. If not, it should re-load from the server.

With regard to ISPs, try Virgin Net. It's free and I've never had a problem of the sort mentioned herein.