PDA

View Full Version : Comet - first scheduled commercial passenger jet across North Atlantic

Porrohman
4th Jun 2008, 09:39
There were plans a few years ago to try to get the Comet at Bruntingthorpe airworthy in time for the 50th anniversary of the first scheduled commercial passenger jet service across the North Atlantic which will be on 4th October 2008.

I tried searching the net and PPRuNe but can't find any up-to-date information about this project other than a mention in Wikipedia (which is probably out of date). The official web site http://www.cometcampaign.cjb.net/ hasn't been updated for 3 years.

What is the latest status regarding the Comet at Bruntingthorpe?

Porrohman
13th Jun 2008, 23:52
Does anyone have up-to-date news about the Comet at Bruntingthorpe?

HarryMann
14th Jun 2008, 01:30
Obviously not :ugh:

That would be Canopus, the ex-RAE Comet? Believe the likelihood of it being granted a permit to fly was pretty slim, but had enough hours left as an airframe to be the best candidate if it were to be possible.

so yes, pretty vague response there from me. Someone must know... ?

Porrohman
15th Jun 2008, 12:40
Yes, it's Canopus I'm thinking of which flew with the A&AEE until the late 90's. I seem to recall that there were plans to fly it to Lasham for overhaul but there were likely to be problems getting even a ferry permit from the CAA; and of course the challenge of raising the necessary funds.

JW411
15th Jun 2008, 17:37
It is my understanding that Canopus had so many holes cut in it in order to fit various experimental nav gear that it would have taken the collective cooperation of every CAA department that ever had a smidgeon of a sense of humour left to allow the aircraft to fly with all these "unauthorised" holes cut in the pressure hull.

It was never going to happen.

HarryMann
16th Jun 2008, 01:18
Ah! So A&AEE were flying on a wing and a prayer all those years... ?

Makes sense I suppose as the Comet is the Holy Grail of all jet airliners :)

OK, I'll get my coat.... :O

Porrohman
17th Jun 2008, 02:22
Did the CAA refuse to let it fly? The A&AEE were able to fly it safely for a great many years. Every mod to the airframe would have been analysed and signed off by the appropriate A&AEE or other experts as being safe. For many years it was allowed to fly over populated areas. It even flew at airshows during the '90s. Were the A&AEE endangering the lives of the crew and the general public? I don't think so. They have decades of experience modifying all sorts of aircraft in this way. Mechanical engineering of this type is a well understood discipline, so why wouldn't the CAA give it a permit to fly based on the sign-offs granted during its time with A&AEE? Or even just allow an unpressurised ferry flight to Lasham for the unauthorised holes to be repaired? Was this just a case of bureaucracy gone mad? Or is there more to it than this?

bvcu
17th Jun 2008, 09:03
Saw that its registration was recently cancelled. Recall reading in the aviation press a while ago that engines were going to be a problem as locating the tooling to do the required work was proving to be a problem. Think cost was a major issue as during my time at A&A.E.E the complete pressure hull was x-rayed i think on an annual basis once it was the last one flying , cant imagine what that would cost now !!! had a few good trips in her in late 70's , and early 80's

Porrohman
17th Jun 2008, 14:37
Thanks for the reply bvcu.

If A&AEE could only fly Canopus by x-raying the airframe annually, it presumably meant that either it had exceeded the life/age that BAE had set or BAE were not a party to approving the modifications made to the airframe. Without design authority approval from BAE (or a suitably qualified and authorised third party), keeping Canopus flying under CAA regulations would be a very expensive undertaking indeed, and I can see why restoration to airworthiness didn't progress.

Is Canopus still taxiable or has it become a static exhibit?

As A&AEE has become QinetiQ (a commercial company) I wonder whether QinetiQ would be in a position to become design authority for Canopus (or, indeed, other antique ex-military aircraft) if sufficient funds were available? I'd imagine the costs would be prohibitive though.

411A
17th Jun 2008, 17:36
Although the Comet was an achievement of the highest order, it would seem to me that with the cost af avtur being what it is today, a far better project would be to get a Vanguard or Brittania flying, the fuel cost of which, would be considerably less.
Let's not forget, the Brits were far ahead of the USA with turbine (and especially, turbopropellor) powered airplanes.
In spades.

Says me, who operated RR Dart-powered airplanes for quite sometime.

Groundloop
18th Jun 2008, 07:46
a far better project would be to get a Vanguard or Brittania flying,

My vote would be for a Viscount - World's first turbine powered airliner. And also probably easiest as some were flying up until very recently.

Brain Potter
18th Jun 2008, 09:31
The pot of cash for aircraft preservation projects is very shallow. I would rather see some money spent on the indoor preservation of examples of British aviation heritage that are currently languishing outside. Even with the best care available, large airframes stored outside will not last forever. After the sorry demise of the BA collection at Cosford last year, the goal for aircraft preservation in the UK should be an indoor facility to house a Viscount, Comet, Trident, VC-10 and BAC 1-11.

I'm afraid that any "return to flight" projects are fantasy, the Vulcan has shown that even the most widely-supported project with the highest potential for airshow interest is only marginally viable. Impressive and laudable as it is, I fear that the Vulcan project has soaked up all the lottery money for aviation preservation, that may otherwise have been channelled into longer-term projects.

David Eyre
23rd Jun 2008, 05:41
The Comet at Bruntingthorpe, G-CPDA (former XS235) did some taxi runs on 25th May 2008:
Video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_9onvxO2DxE

Photo:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6263490

I can't find any recent info about it being made airworthy, so perhaps this plan fell through?

Regards,
David

Porrohman
1st Oct 2008, 15:33
The 50th anniversary of the first scheduled commercial passenger jet service across the North Atlantic will be this Saturday, the 4th October. Are any events planned to mark this anniversary? Maybe by BA? Or BAE Systems?

Lou Scannon
1st Oct 2008, 16:33
I can still remember the BBC nightly news programme "Nationwide" when the Comet made it's first scheduled flight ahead of the 707.

Cliff Michelmore read out the following poem in tribute:

"Twinkle twinkle little Boeing,
How we wonder when your going,
Up above the earth so high...

...Like a Comet in the sky!!!".

Some time later, a Comet lining up after a departing 707 that was leaving a cloud of dark brown fumes behind it requested .

"Take off... Instruments"

To which an American voice replied:

"Don't worry son...you'll be old enough to smoke yourself one day!"

fltplanner
3rd Oct 2008, 11:39
BA have a display of memorabilia on the street at Waterside today, hosted by volunteers from the Museum & Archives, one of whom served on Comet 4s. There will also be recognition on the corresponding flights tomorrow (but no westbound Gander call planned!). Not sure what form this will take but may feature some heritage uniforms.

fltplanner
3rd Oct 2008, 11:45
BA have a display of memorabilia on the street at Waterside today, hosted by volunteers from the Museum & Archives, one of whom served on Comet 4s. There is also recognition on the corresponding flights tomorrow (no westbound Gander call planned!). Not sure what form this will take but may feature some heritage uniforms.