PDA

View Full Version : 75 hrs in ANC

I'mbatman
3rd Jun 2008, 21:50
I have 75 hs in ANC coming up....I'm looking for some cool ideas.....i'm thinking about getting a car and going to seward, etc.....if you have any suggestions please let me know.

AA717driver
3rd Jun 2008, 22:49
Seward is really cool--ditto the drive down from ANC. There are a couple of glaciers on the way to visit.

The ABC is a must (unless the wife is along...).

Take a floatplane tour or, if you have the money, get your rating. Have fun. TC

seatrumpeter
3rd Jun 2008, 22:50
Seward is definately a good idea. Also Homer. I just got back from guided climbing on the Mantauska glacier which is about two hours northeast of ANC. Highly recommened. Also the Eagle River Road (from Eagle, north of ANC) or Eklutna Lake is a nice area to hike or bike. Also Talkeetna is a good day trip. For an overnight you could even head up to Denali which shouldn't be too crowded yet.

Ray

water check
4th Jun 2008, 00:29
hmmmm, seems everyone is missing the obvious point: why in the hell is ANYBODY stuck in a transit port for 75 frigging hours...??? :confused: no better example of the problems with rostering than this...

cpdude
4th Jun 2008, 00:39
I was just thinking the same thing! Good time to be sick.:ok:

anchorriver
4th Jun 2008, 01:03
If you're into fishing, King Salmon is about to return to Ship Creek. It may take hours, or sometimes just less than 30 min of fishing, for you to catch a fresh King. You need a wader to fish tough (and of course the license)

The sushi chef in Sheraton Hotel ANC, Mr. Abe, knows quite a lot about Alaska fishing. He used to cook for the Japanese diplomat before he took his current job. Best sushi in N. America. With or without your interest of fishing, I highly recommend to try his sushi.

If you wanna try to a real beast in the ocean (and won't mind paying a lot of money for fuel..), drive all the way to Homer. It takes about 5 hrs from ANC but it's a very scenic drive anyway. The view which you just can't see in southeastern Asia. There are many charter boats down there for salmon and halibut fishing and all you need to bring with you is warm clothing and rain gear, just in case. You can vacuum-freeze your catch and bring it to your home. If you don't wanna carry it with you, you can FedEx it with 70% airline discount.

If you just wanna buy smoke salmon (though it must be from last year's catch), drive to Indian Valley south of Anchorage. Best priced smoke salmon in ANC area, though Alaskan Sausage in the city is quite good but expensive...

Tight lines,

AR

US Marine
4th Jun 2008, 10:36
see if you can get up to denali national park.....was there for a weekend about 10 years ago and saw amongst a whole ****load of other things 31 grizzly bears of which about a 1/3rd were cubs...pretty special place.

you could also try 75 hours in the ABC

FlexibleResponse
4th Jun 2008, 12:21
Get a float plane endorsement!

4PW's
6th Jun 2008, 16:15
Kitesurf the Turnagain Arm.

Cpt. Underpants
6th Jun 2008, 23:07
Obvious what you should do...

Defeat (finally and totally) your nemesis, Joker!!

Frogman1484
7th Jun 2008, 01:01
The kings should be running already. They run from the end of may to about the end of July. You can rent waders and rod from the Kiosk next to the restaurant (ask for Cx discount). Best time to fish is at the turn of the high tide to Low tide, but you need to get there at least 1 hour before to get a good spot. (best spot is right bellow the restaurant facing the Kiosk, at low tide you will see the only channel the Kings have to go through, it will be about 2 meters in front of you). Enjoy
:ok:

Sike
8th Jun 2008, 21:10
Can you elaborate a little further on this Frogman? Kiosk? Restaurant?

Frogman1484
9th Jun 2008, 01:17
If you walk to ships creek, you will see a restaurant that is built across the creek. On the opposite side you will see a little hut (kiosk). It's the only place that hires out rods and tackle , you cannot miss it. Have a look at this link on Google maps http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=61.22332,-149.885128&spn=0.001784,0.006335&t=h&z=18.

Cheers
:ok:

Sike
9th Jun 2008, 08:52
What would we do without google maps? Thanks!