PDA

View Full Version : Holding pattern corrections.

Mohit_C
3rd Jun 2008, 20:18
Hi guys,

I would like to know if there's a link or any site which could explain the corrections to be made with headwind/tailwind on the inbound/outbound corrections. I do get the rule of "Half the time that is in excess" and "Double the time that is left for the minute" but I don't get to where it applies; the inbound or outbound correction. Also with respect to the corrections, is it in order to always get 1 minute inbound or what?

Thank you.

LH2
3rd Jun 2008, 22:32
is it in order to always get 1 minute inbound or what?

It's in order to stay within the hold protected area, same reason why you join the hold the way you do.

The rest of your question you can answer yourself by doing a little thinking, aided by paper and pencil if need be. Don't jump at the keyboard at the first hint of a doubt. :ok:

Wellington Bomber
4th Jun 2008, 07:47
It is always on the outbound leg after flying over the beacon or abeam the beacon with wings level whichever latest.

If you have a headwind component of say 20kts then the outbound time is 1min 20sec

if you have a tailwind component of 20 kts then the outbound time is only 40 seconds

geordiejet
4th Jun 2008, 08:16
I know it's not the most advanced thing in the world. But flight sim is really good for it - you can put in whatever wind you like, and get lots of practice. It is also great for practicing joins.

When you think you have understood it, you can completely switch the winds - and see how you cope with it from different directions/strenghts. As you fly around the hold you will get your timings right.

I know you will get shown this in the plane/sim on the IR - but getting to grips with it at home is a lot easier and less stressful than having an instructor watching your every move!

Drawing it on paper is also a very good way of getting to grips with the first principles of the hold.

OutOfRunWay
4th Jun 2008, 11:37
I agree with you totally, even though I risk having my throat cut by some here, but the ole MS Flightsim is excellent if you want to get your head round some navigation problems. It can even serve to get a very rough rough first familiarisation of unknown territory in combination with google earth. Just dont use it to practice your landing technique :8