View Full Version : Printer driver for Mac OS 10

Stan Sted
25th Sep 2001, 19:37
My daughter has bought an Epson 790 Photo printer to connect to her G4 Mac but can't make the thing run in Mac OSX.

She has to reboot in Mac OS 9 to run anything through the printer. An Epson advice website states that only four Epson machines can use OSX drivers, but when I phoned the headquarters of Epson UK an expert there said there were no plans to provide OS10 drivers for the 790 Stylus Photo machine.

However, I have heard from the printer supplier that Mac are sorting this out and in the next few weeks will be releasing drivers for a wide range of printers.

Does anyone know if this really is the case?

cheers

SS

PPRuNe Towers
25th Sep 2001, 20:45
A bit of experimentation called for mate.

Around 300 inkjets are supported on the basic OSX disc and there are new drivers brewing/just around the corner.

Meanwhile the OS9 drivers will work in the new system while in classic mode. Most of the software her ladyship wants to use is still OS9 anyway - it simply hasn't been ported over yet - so she's not losing out.

If you go into System Preferences in the Dock you'll find an icon for 'Classic' operations. Dip into it and you'll find you can set 10 to boot up and at the same time boot OS9 into a protected kernel. This way you can open OS9 applications at the same time as working in the OS10 environment and they happily print.

This may all read as something complicated but it is actually ridiculously simple and works beautifully on both of my Macs.

Finally, try using some other Epson drivers - they're often very closely related in basic structure.

Rob

28th Sep 2001, 12:46
You may also want to have a look at OS X v10.1, which was released yesterday.

It apparently fixes most of the minor annoyances with OS X (ppp 264, no DVD, speed issues, etc.) and also contains a more up-to-date set of drivers. If you have a new G4 (which was supplied with X) or a legitimate copy of OS X, you can upgrade for a token charge. Have a look at the apple website for info.

Failing that, have a look at:
www.macfixit.com (http://www.macfixit.com)

where a bunch of very helpful (but slightly sad!) mac junkies hang out - it's free, and they can (in my experience) sort out most problems!

[Edited for typo]

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: 1261 ]

Stan Sted
28th Sep 2001, 20:20
Thanks Rob

I followed your instructions and lo, her ladyship has now gone back to university happily using the printer in the Classic mode of OS10.

I am afraid my daughter has spent all her savings on the G4, monitor, printer and software and can't afford to be on the net in her student house. Probably just as well, otherwise she would be bombarding me with Mac questions I could never answer. However, I will have a crafty look at the Macfix site, albeit on my ancient and slow PC.

Thanks again for helping out

regards

SS

[ 28 September 2001: Message edited by: Stan Sted ]

PPRuNe Towers
28th Sep 2001, 23:52
Stan - it really is important to get that upgrade to 10.1.

It's about 15 quid by post but apple resellers will have free copies to give to personal callers.

I know you didn't get anything you'd regard as a manual with the computer but there was a a very important set of coupons amidst the bumpf. Its a card with 3 Mac OS Software coupons allowing you free upgrades. Set off hotfoot with those coupons this week before they run out of the new discs.

Rob