PDA

View Full Version : think you are a professionist but Gulf News says you are "skilled labour"

furbpilot
3rd Jun 2008, 15:40
This was on today's Gulf News the most ridicolous newspaper in the world.
Bisignani, the president of IATA talks about pilot shortage,but the idiot that wrote the article defines pilots as .. "skilled labour".
May be they have to keep in mind that without oil they would be most probably still shafting camels as a only passtime....as they did for thousands of years...idiots!!

The shortage of skilled labour is an issue airlines will have to address quickly. "18,000 aircraft will be delivered over the next ten years. To fly them we must train 19,000 pilots each year, but current capacity is only 15,000," said Bisignani...

Sir Osis of the river
3rd Jun 2008, 16:12
Furpilot,

In this part of the world, you ARE only skilled labour. In fact you are only a labourer. The only difference between you and the Pakistani taxi driver, is that you are fortunate to have aquired a few more skills on the way.

Don't kid yourself, you are ONLY a necessary evil in their eyes, and always will be:=

NIGHTTRAMP
3rd Jun 2008, 16:42
US Legal definitions explain skilled labour as follows.

Skilled labour generallly refers to workers who have long periods of formal training. Jobs requiring skilled labour may involve the exercise of independant judgement and a high degree of manual skill. Skilled labour may be workers who have special knowledge or qualifications.

Canadian press refers to skilled labour when they descibe their need for medical practioners.

At the end of the day, who cares what some guy at the Gulf News thinks?

Fat Clemenza
3rd Jun 2008, 17:20
Right on Nightramp

Payscale
3rd Jun 2008, 18:04
I didnt feel a rush of indignation either. Call me Ronald McDonald if you like. I know what I am, and thats all that matters. I work. They pay.

Wizofoz
3rd Jun 2008, 18:08
think you are a professionist

No, I think I'm a Professtional because I apply skills when labouring at my professtion:}

square leg
3rd Jun 2008, 18:42
Maybe (or for some may be) it's actually professional that you meant. I prefer profesh-chunal.

Scooby Don't
3rd Jun 2008, 19:19
So much more stylish to be a keen amateur... :E

GMDS
4th Jun 2008, 00:30
Look at it this way:
As they want Emiratisation so desperately and would hire a skilled laborour only if no dish-dash can fill his shoes, by definition the locals must be mainly unskilled laborours.
How does that sound?

Driver of Buses
4th Jun 2008, 03:24
Professional Vs skilled Labour - A rose by any other name.

It's all semantics.

We are by profession 'aviators' and thus those that fly for a living are 'professional aviators'.

We are 'highly skilled' at our job and provide our labour for exchange for renumeration. So too do doctors, lawyers, teachers etc which are also considered highly skilled professionals.

The higher the skills (and the less availability of people with those skills) determine the overall size of the renumeration package they receive.

We pilots are professionals and by the same token as far as an employer is concerned we are also a highly skilled labour force. We perform a service for payment.

We work, we labour, we get paid.

Panama Jack
4th Jun 2008, 08:27
Who cares.

You go to work, and everyone calls you "Captain" even though you might be a lowly First Officer with one stripe on your shoulder. You wear gold braid even though you may have never served a day in any military service. You are well regarded by the public and a respectable paycheck to boot. If you live and work in Bahrain for Gulf Air, your CPR states your occupation as a "Tristar & Boeing Aircraft Transport Pilot" even though these aircraft are history. So are you really going to get your feathers ruffled about something like this??? :confused:

At the end of the day, I care more about my T's & C's, working and living environment and how I am going to spend my next days-off or vacation time.

fatbus
4th Jun 2008, 09:22
PJ right on mate. Funny how some guys get all worked up over the littlist things

furbpilot
4th Jun 2008, 09:46
Professional..professionist... sorry ..god why wasn't I born in the common wealth..no. weath...mhhh may be waelth....?
Labourer form latin labor... manual work:

labor: a social class comprising those who do manual labor or work for wages; "there is a shortage of skilled labor in this field"

labor: productive work (especially physical work done for wages); "his labor did not require a great deal of skill"

I just believe that the debase of a category starts with calling it with debasing names..the rest follows.

iubeo te valere

jet-lag
4th Jun 2008, 16:53
Dear all...

Why are you waisting time on this issue.
That idiot on Gulf news can not even think what is the meaning
word professional.
Poor people, they are like kids with no idea what is realy work hard..
Suffer or fight for your country.One day the oil will be finish....
And this people will learn what is to be an Skilled worker. :ugh:

Get your money and go home...

speedtwoten
5th Jun 2008, 03:16
jet-lag I'm fully agree 101% with you lets, try to make this country like Dubai or Abu Dhabi without what they say "skilled labour" even their plane's without learning to fly from the "skilled labour" just because they have only money not brain:{

.Aero
5th Jun 2008, 10:44
It's all semantics.

It is, although it shouldn't be when it comes to "professional" write ups. The UAE statutory books should have definitions of skilled/unskilled labour etc for statistical and analytical sake.

I reckon furbpilot is just a little upset having been associated with the term 'labour' especially in this part of the world - but you needn't worry furby - We're still your mates!

furbpilot
5th Jun 2008, 14:49
Thanks Aero.... you now.. I was feeling a little stressed and lonely in this earthless city !
Usque tandem ubeteris patientiam meam...abibi?
ah ah!

5th Jun 2008, 15:18
..Aho' parla come magni!!! :}

40&80
6th Jun 2008, 14:30
ixy...Post 14....I was told George Bernard Shaw said that.... not Winston who was said to have married an American one.

slowto280
7th Jun 2008, 05:02
PCC Aviation News Story: 6/5/2008
Pilot mayday on Jetstar foreign hiring

The Australian

Steve Creedy | May 27, 2008
QANTAS is under attack from another of its unions after moves by low-cost offshoot Jetstar to bring in up to 75 foreign flight crew under the 457 skilled migrant visa scheme.

Not only skilled labor, but now 'migrant'? I believe the world is out of control...................:sad: